Problems from Dealer Setup

Mossy dell

Equipment
B2601 (2021) JD970 (1998) B2100 (1991) B6100E (1988)
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
I can't find a thread just on this, so I'm starting this one. There are bits and pieces of dealer complaints, including mine previously, but I can't find a dedicated thread. Not sure this is the best place. But probably those shopping and buying are the ones who need to be aware. Also if any dealers peruse this site.

Got my B2601 with loader and front blade almost a year ago. I have had four setup issues, all related to the loader, of increasing severity. Today's broke my spirit. Partly because, in retrospect, the problem was so obvious. But I've never had a loader and it didn't jump out at me.

Here are the problems, in order:

• loose hydraulic hose to left rear loader cylinder. Spewing fluid, noticed day after delivery.
• two less convenient loader zerks not greased, noticed when I did the first greasing.
• right side loader frame attachment bolts: one misplaced and one missing, noticed at 50 hours.
• right side front loader stand not attached in front, causing it to come loose. Rest of bolts in right side stand assembly loose. Noticed when it came loose and was bent while plowing now @ 70+ hours.

Today, the fourth problem happened I think when I got stuck for a while backing up, and I think it was the stand digging into the ground. Then I saw it bent and dragging. Coming loose, it bent a rearward attachment bolt and maybe other parts.

My local dealer, a branch of the main store that set up my tractor, has been responsive about addressing previous problems. We'll see with this latest. They are probably as tired of this as I am.

When I got the tractor back last time on the bolt issue, I checked immediately to see the new bolt. It was there—and had not been tightened! Nut was barely on the bolt.

So the problem wasn't one "bad setup kid who was fired." The person who forgot to tighten that bolt at my local store, a bolt that helped connect the the tractor and loader, was a mid- or senior-level tech. Also, I drove the tractor off the trailer and it had been shut down with the throttle wide open.

Based on my experience, you need to assume your Kubota has issues from improper setup. Inspect it carefully. What that means is do a pretend 50-hour service or 100-hour service so you check everything.

Yeah, it was unlucky to get a "bad setup kid." But who if anyone supervised him? Was he supported with mentoring, tools, etc. Why was he hired in the first place? It's an art to hire, especially young people, many of whom have not developed yet a feeling of responsibility.

The setup was last winter during the pandemic. Maybe they had lost people. Maybe he was under too much pressure to get several tractors together. Still, my opinion of the dealership has taken a nosedive.

This is the key, front bolt that was missed and the leg stand hanging down [the missing nut was a very loose one I'd just removed]:

Unattached Rt Stand 1-16-22.jpg

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I can't find a thread just on this, so I'm starting this one. There are bits and pieces of dealer complaints, including mine previously, but I can't find a dedicated thread. Not sure this is the best place. But probably those shopping and buying are the ones who need to be aware. Also if any dealers peruse this site.

Got my B2601 with loader and front blade almost a year ago. I have had four setup issues, all related to the loader, of increasing severity. Today's broke my spirit. Partly because, in retrospect, the problem was so obvious. But I've never had a loader and it didn't jump out at me.

Here are the problems, in order:

• loose hydraulic hose to left rear loader cylinder. Spewing fluid, noticed day after delivery.
• two less convenient loader zerks not greased, noticed when I did the 50-hour service.
• right side loader frame attachment bolts: one misplaced and one missing, noticed at 50 hours.
• right side front loader stand not attached in front, causing it to come loose. Rest of bolts in stand assembly loose.

Today, the fourth problem happened when I got stuck for a while backing up, and I think it was the stand digging into the ground. Then I saw it bent and dragging. Coming loose, it bent a rearward attachment bolt and maybe other parts.

My local dealer, a branch of the main store that set up my tractor, has been responsive about addressing previous problems. We'll see with this latest. They are probably as tired of this as I am.

When I got the tractor back last time on the bolt issue, I checked immediately to see the new bolt. It was there—and had not been tightened! Nut was barely on the bolt.

So the problem wasn't one "bad setup kid who was fired." The person who forgot to tighten that bolt at my local store, a bolt that helped connect the the tractor and loader, was a mid- or senior-level tech. Also, I drove the tractor off the trailer and it had been shut down with the throttle wide open.

Based on my experience, you need to assume your Kubota has issues from improper setup. Inspect it carefully. What that means is do a pretend 50-hour service or 100-hour service so you check everything.

Yeah, it was unlucky to get a "bad setup kid." But who if anyone supervised him? Was he supported with mentoring, tools, etc. Why was he hired in the first place? It's an art to hire, especially young people, many of whom have not developed yet a feeling of responsibility.

The setup was last winter during the pandemic. Maybe they had lost people. Maybe he was under too much pressure to get several tractors together. Still, my opinion of the dealership has taken a nosedive.

This is the key, front bolt that was missed and the leg stand hanging down:

View attachment 73452
For those who say "buy the dealer, I say hogwash!
The dealer can go out of business any day of the week, and his employees can change on a daily basis.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I had a BMW motorcycle that required the transmission being repaired. Took a month. Cost a lot. Shortly after getting it back from the dealer the rear wheel almost fell off while traveling at highway speed on my way to work. I pretty much gave up riding for 20 years after that. As bad as your experiences have been I am not sure that the poor assembly issues you faced could have easily resulted in death. Its no surprise humans are increasingly being replaced by robots in manufacturing. All you and I can do is count or blessings and be thankful it wasn't worse. Our family motto is "Slow to bruise , quick to heal". Adopt it as your own if you like.

Reactions: 1 user

Mossy dell

Equipment
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
I agree that it should have been done correctly but it does state in the manual (thanks to lawyers) that ultimately, it up to the operator to double check these things (each time!!).
Not exactly.

There's nothing in my manual that would get a dealer off the hook that much. The owner is responsible for safe operation and maintenance. There is an implicit assumption that the tractor is in safe and complete working condition when received.

It does open with this statement:

You are now the proud owner of a KUBOTA Tractor. This tractor is a product of KUBOTA quality engineering and manufacturing. It is made of fine materials and under a rigid quality control system. It will give you long, satisfactory service.

Anyway, the point of my post was to do your scheduled-per-hours inspections early. Like right away. Because you cannot assume the tractor was set up properly. My issues were niggling. But there could be worse ones.

Mossy dell

Equipment
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
I had a BMW motorcycle that required the transmission being repaired. Took a month. Cost a lot. Shortly after getting it back from the dealer the rear wheel almost fell off while traveling at highway speed on my way to work. I pretty much gave up riding for 20 years after that. As bad as your experiences have been I am not sure that the poor assembly issues you faced could have easily resulted in death. Its no surprise humans are increasingly being replaced by robots in manufacturing. All you and I can do is count or blessings and be thankful it wasn't worse. Our family motto is "Slow to bruise , quick to heal". Adopt it as your own if you like.
Yes something like that happened to me with a car years ago. Stopped for gas right after leaving the facility or I would have lost the wheel on the interstate. I was new in town and hadn't found a mechanic I trusted.

Interesting that auto makers have steadily reduced meaningful dealer setup, whereas tractor dealers must still do a lot. Time is money, and setup takes time.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
When I received my tractor, every loader and wheel bolt has a marker dot on it indicating that they had been tightened. I was also told to check all bolts after the first 10 hours of use.

Reactions: 2 users

Mossy dell

Equipment
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
When I received my tractor, every loader and wheel bolt has a marker dot on it indicating that they had been tightened. I was also told to check all bolts after the first 10 hours of use.
Sounds like a good dealer! I only noticed after finding that issue that a 20-30 hour check, as I recall, of loader-tractor connector bolts is what the manual recommends. I read the manual but missed that.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Sounds like a good dealer! I only noticed after finding that issue that a 20-30 hour check, as I recall, of loader-tractor connector bolts is what the manual recommends. I read the manual but missed that.
That sucks about the repeat problems. It’s unfortunate that you may have less confidence in either the dealer or manufacture. From your description those all sound like set up issues. That being said I’d encourage you to put a wrench on what you see and check for any loose bits. If you have a the manual then go straight to the torque wrench. Genuinely torque check should be part of your regular maintenance…same as cleaning and lubrication. A torque wrench and a marker…don’t forget to check the lug nuts on the wheels.

Mossy dell

Equipment
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
Yes! I bought a torque wrench for the 50-hour service. Wheels were fine and most but not all loader bolts. Then I ran into the misplaced and missing bolts.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Yes! I bought a torque wrench for the 50-hour service. Wheels were fine and most but not all loader bolts. Then I ran into the misplaced and missing bolts.
Also in general watch the movements of loader and 3PT and check your piping/routing of hoses. The smaller units don’t really hide the hoses and they will wear from abrasion. See if it looks right.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I've bought three tractors from my local dealer without a single issue and would buy three more. In my experience they are meticulous which is probably part of the reason that they were ranked #5 in the nation last year for sales from a single store dealership. They have so much repeat business because they do an amazing job and are very customer-centric.

Correction: The only issue I've ever had with three tractors is the heim joint on the outboard end of the hydraulic top link that comes with the factory top-n-tilt upgrade. The dealership offered to have the cylinder sent out to a machine shop to be repaired but I requested an improved heim joint to weld on myself, which I did.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I think it just depends on your dealer. The local dealer I bought my B2601 from had its share of loose bolts, leaks, and cracked lines. That dealership sells & services everything from BX sized machines to 100,000lb excavators, all kinds of manufactures.

The dealer I bought the LX from was a little further away, but only sells & services kubota. The assembly exceeded the prior dealer and no post delivery issues.

Last edited:

Mossy dell

Equipment
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
Great to hear, mcmxi. What's the name of the dealer? Would like to see their web site.

There's such a vast difference between excellent businesses and mediocre ones. The difference seems to be the culture that is established from the outset and continued.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Great to hear, mcmxi. What's the name of the dealer? Would like to see their web site.

There's such a vast difference between excellent businesses and mediocre ones. The difference seems to be the culture that is established from the outset and continued.
I consider many at this dealership to be friends and I would recommend them to anyone without a moment's hesitation.

• Love

Mossy dell

Equipment
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
I consider many at this dealership to be friends and I would recommend them to anyone without a moment's hesitation.

The ethos you describe comes through on the About page. Their statement feels grounded and honest. The staff photos are great!

Even the "DELIVERY/LOT/CUSTOMER CARE" guy is featured and has a big grin. Note that the owners come last too . . .

Last edited:

Mossy dell

Equipment
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
I hope others will share good dealerships. They are the real mystery, like human goodness. Mediocre is common, good is nice, but excellent is news.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
My B2650 had just been dropped off and salesperson answered any questions I had. He hadn't been gone 5 minutes when a buddy (who had been visiting and was there for the delivery) noticed in the sunlight that the seat had some very small nicks in the covering. They weren't cut all the way through, but definitely there. Hard to say how long it would be before one or more of them would open up completely.

I called the salesperson and sent him some pics. Apparently the "help" who had uncrated the tractor had been careless with his box cutter while removing the plastic covering the seat cushion. There was a good half dozen + nicks in different places. The dealer ordered a new seat and I swapped it out when it came in. I asked if I could still keep the damaged seat, but it was sent in......(presumably). Dang!!

The dealership in this area has been great!