Problem keeping BX2380 running

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Like I said, I really doubt bumping that 3 point lift arm into the ground has anything to do with the rough running. (if it had indeed been the PTO, which we've thankfully established it's NOT) then that's a different story.

Onto more troubleshooting.

ejb11235

Equipment
BX23S, Braber BBR4G 4' Box Blade & LRM5G 5' landscape rake
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
When he changed the fuel filters, did he bleed the system? Sounds like it had enough fuel in the lines to run for a bit, then got a big gulp of air. Now its spitting and sputtering.

Also, BX's are known for clogged fuel outlets on tank. Make sure you have good fuel flow from injection pump all the way back to tank. Could be a chunk of crap in the line.
Matt--that's interesting ... I wasn't aware about BX's tendencies for clogging fuel outlets. Is this all BXs, including the 80 series? What causes that? Also, I like your theory about the system's not being bled after the fuel filter change.

#40Fan

Jul 21, 2022
USA
Start with the easy stuff.

Did he accidentally put gas instead of diesel fuel in it?

Watch this video and pay attention towards the end where he was bleeding the air out.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Matt--that's interesting ... I wasn't aware about BX's tendencies for clogging fuel outlets. Is this all BXs, including the 80 series? What causes that? Also, I like your theory about the system's not being bled after the fuel filter change.
I think he was referring to debris in the tank blocking the fuel outlet point.

There is also the possibility of a blocked vent in the fuel cap.

With the BX, the system is self bleeding as far as I know. So air introduced in the fuel lines during a filter change should be a non issue. At least was for me a couple times when I ran out of fuel on my BX.

Of course, if the filter was not installed properly after the changes, that could also be an issue. It could be sucking air…

Reactions: 1 user

#40Fan

Jul 21, 2022
USA
BX owners, is there any chance the 3-point arm could have been pushed far enough under the tracker to hit the fuel pump or fuel line?

Scratch that...after looking at the pictures, it doesn't look like that would be possible.

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
With the BX, the system is self bleeding as far as I know. So air introduced in the fuel lines during a filter change should be a non issue. At least was for me a couple times when I ran out of fuel on my BX.
Owner's manual states: "If the fuel line is removed, be sure to properly bleed the fuel system."

hmm ... i just looked up the procedure and it basically says "fill the tank and turn the switch to 'ON' for 30 seconds" :rolleyes:

Attachments

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Owner's manual states: "If the fuel line is removed, be sure to properly bleed the fuel system."

hmm ... i just looked up the procedure and it basically says "fill the tank and turn the switch to 'ON' for 30 seconds" :rolleyes:
Yep…that is the procedure on a BX. 😀

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
Yep…that is the procedure on a BX. 😀
Well this is cool because I am getting ready to change out the fuel filters on my BX. I watched a youtube video on bleeding the fuel system and the presenter cracked open the connection where the fuel line connects to the fuel rail (or whatever it is) and then turned the key to "ON". I guess that's unnecessary, so that's a win for me!

#40Fan

Jul 21, 2022
USA
I would bleed the air out. No harm other than a little bit of spillage.

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I would bleed the air out. No harm other than a little bit of spillage.
Waste of time. Not necessary.

I recently changed my BX fuel filter ( the difficult one under the tractor) and there was no issue. As mentioned, I also ran out of fuel a couple times. Again no issue.

Even being retired with all the time in the world I would not do that.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Pretty sure all of them have that problem, and it is a CHORE to remove tank to clean. No personal experience, just what I’ve read and soaked in here.

Clueless Wife

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 25, 2022
Covington, GA
Okay, so apparently I was wrong...(communication issue AGAIN). He only changed the front fuel filter. He bought them both but only changed the one. So he took off the deck and just changed the rear filter...or the one that is hard to get to. It seems to be running okay now. Like most of you said...it obviously has nothing to do with the arm that fell. Btw, the arm isn't bent. Now that that part is fixed, he is trying to put the deck back on. Notice I said TRYING. LOL! Hopefully he will figure it out. I think there is some splice piece he took off to clean and can't get back on. Anyway, maybe now he will be more careful with his toys. He said he is trading it in for a bigger one. Lord help me in this fight! Thank you all for your assistance.

#40Fan

Jul 21, 2022
USA
Glad to hear it is going again. Plenty of YouTube videos showing the removal and install of the mower deck.

ve9aa

Equipment
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Okay, so apparently I was wrong...(communication issue AGAIN). He only changed the front fuel filter. He bought them both but only changed the one. So he took off the deck and just changed the rear filter...or the one that is hard to get to. It seems to be running okay now. Like most of you said...it obviously has nothing to do with the arm that fell. Btw, the arm isn't bent. Now that that part is fixed, he is trying to put the deck back on. Notice I said TRYING. LOL! Hopefully he will figure it out. I think there is some splice piece he took off to clean and can't get back on. Anyway, maybe now he will be more careful with his toys. He said he is trading it in for a bigger one. Lord help me in this fight! Thank you all for your assistance.
Glad he got it running OK (hopefully_!!!)

Decks are not exactly super"easy" to take off and on, but read the mower manual or search the Messicks Tractor videos on youtube. There's at least 1 (maybe 2) there that show how to take off and put on the decks. There are other videos too. It all has to be done in a specific order or all bets are off.

For one thing, you need the "arms" all the way down, so you can get the pins in on the top "sides/slots" of the deck.

I struggled a bit with it and I've done it twice, so there ya go. I'm no expert but I am still able to do it.
Easier to do on a concrete garage floor, which you appear to have.

Clueless Wife

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 25, 2022
Covington, GA
Glad he got it running OK (hopefully_!!!)

Decks are not exactly super"easy" to take off and on, but read the mower manual or search the Messicks Tractor videos on youtube. There's at least 1 (maybe 2) there that show how to take off and put on the decks. There are other videos too. It all has to be done in a specific order or all bets are off.

For one thing, you need the "arms" all the way down, so you can get the pins in on the top "sides/slots" of the deck.

I struggled a bit with it and I've done it twice, so there ya go. I'm no expert but I am still able to do it.
Easier to do on a concrete garage floor, which you appear to have.
Thank you. It just wasn't going. It wasn't a splice thing...it was the splines on the shaft thing that goes from the deck to the tractor. He had it in the back of the truck to bring the "broken pos" up to the shop tomorrow. When I saw what it was, I put my magical hands on it, 🤭slowly turned it until the splines matched up and it slid right on. It is all back together and working properly! My husband says I can only roll my eyes so many times a day. :rolleyes: I say bs. LOL! Thanks again all!

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

ve9aa

Equipment
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
The splines only align on that end one way. You have to look very very closely at it. There is a gap in one of them. It's hard to see unless you are looking for it.

You were lucky to just spin it and get it to match. That won't usually work (for me anyways) as the splines are very rectangular cut and not smooth/rounded (making it harder to turn and get them aligned just by gentle pressure.

90% of this is knowledge and patience.

#40Fan

Jul 21, 2022
USA
Thank you. It just wasn't going. It wasn't a splice thing...it was the splines on the shaft thing that goes from the deck to the tractor. He had it in the back of the truck to bring the "broken pos" up to the shop tomorrow. When I saw what it was, I put my magical hands on it, 🤭slowly turned it until the splines matched up and it slid right on. It is all back together and working properly! My husband says I can only roll my eyes so many times a day. :rolleyes: I say bs. LOL! Thanks again all!
You should tell your husband to go make dinner while you mow the grass. If he complains, tell him no pretty necklaces for Christmas. :censored::D

Orangeglow

Equipment
2015 BX2370
Jun 19, 2014
Prescott, Ontario
To help you properly line up the splices, get some permanent white marker, put the splines together, and then draw a line on both pieces while they are together. In my world, I like to use the kiss theory, keep it simple, sweetheart.