Price check for L2501HST

eugene89us

Equipment
L2501HST
Apr 13, 2022
Mississippi
Good evening, we are about to take delivery of our very first tractor. I read many threads on this forum, lots of wonderful information. However, when I read pricing questions, it pains me to find out how much more the tractor prices rose over last 2 to 3 years. Looking at MSRP, bare L2501 HST tractor runs for about the same price as a package deal just mere 2 years ago.

I received many invoice options and they are very close to one another. Here is what we settled on:

L2501 HST with Guardian (Perry Company) metal canopy and filled R14 tires: $18,000

LA525 Front Loader with QC: $5,750

RCR1860 Rotary Cutter: $2,300

Subtract $1,100 rebate. 1.5% sales tax plus $250 financing documents fee and $2,098 for insurance for 60 months at 0%. I guess this is inflation playing a role. Most dealers mentioned that prices on equipment seem to rise with every shipment delivery. It is unreal!

Does anyone have any recent experiences with this?

Last edited:

minthral

Equipment
Kubota L47
Nov 22, 2021
NC
To be honest, you're going to get killed buying right now versus 2 years ago. Prices are high on everything. That said, they're may go higher later, so maybe buying today is better than waiting for tomorrow.

~25k for a tractor that size isn't too bad. I assume it's 4WD since its HST. Based on what I paid end of 2021 for L3301 with backhoe, prices definitely went up ~15%.

Reactions: 1 users

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Not really recent…but your question made me curious so I looked.

The invoice I have doesn’t break down individual prices.

2014- L3200 (nearly identical to the 2501, is a gear model though), LA525 loader, DH1060 disc harrow, RCR1860 mower, bb1254 box blade and 18 ft trailer, $26,731 before fees. 30,475 after taxes, fees and an extended warranty ($1100 for the warranty)

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
You did fine. The prices are going up another 4% soon and will continue to rise.

Researching past prices should make you feel comfortable with future value.

Mike

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
That doesn't sound too bad to me.. welcome to the forum and have fun with it!

Reactions: 1 user

eugene89us

Equipment
L2501HST
Apr 13, 2022
Mississippi
The 3901 tractor has 37.5hp while 2501 has 24.8hp. So actually 12.7hp difference to be precise. Lack of DPF sold me on 2501 and apparently there is a way to modify engine for more hp, not that I am equipped enough to go through with it. Haha.

Reactions: 8 users

forky

Equipment
L2501 HST 4X4 8N
Feb 23, 2021
Wisconsin
That's a fair price you quoted. I would buy now, because prices are going to continue to rise.
I agree with not having to deal with the regen.... mine loves to idle.

Reactions: 2 users

motherneff

Apr 14, 2022
Texas
Sounds like you got a good quote. I got this today from a dealer in Central TX:

L2501HST $19450
Loader/bucket $6465
RCR1860 shredder $2825

Do they expect you to really try to bargain with them? Seems like there would be fairly intense competition and they wouldn't mark things up by this much at one particular dealer.

eugene89us

Equipment
L2501HST
Apr 13, 2022
Mississippi
Sounds like you got a good quote. I got this today from a dealer in Central TX:

L2501HST $19450
Loader/bucket $6465
RCR1860 shredder $2825

Do they expect you to really try to bargain with them? Seems like there would be fairly intense competition and they wouldn't mark things up by this much at one particular dealer.
Wow, the prices definitely vary. I actually worked with 2 dealers and pinned one against the other. Basically, due to supply chain issues, they say they do not bargain anymore. Whatever MSRP is, that is what they offer. I went to the first dealer that had (I believe) older stock, so he quoted me prices likely from before January price spike. Unfortunately, they did not have R14 tires I wanted. So I called another dealer. This one is in the country and his stock moves much faster. His stock was from March (allegedly). His price was $1,600 higher. I gave him the cost the competitor provided to me, and he was able to drop it to within $200 of the other place. I felt an extra $200 upcharge would get me the R14 tires I wanted (instead of R4). So I went with them. And that is how I ended up bargaining price down. It may be worthwhile to assess prices at other dealers, especially city dealers that may not have as much movement as out of city limits. Worst case, many of them deliver for free, so if this one does not budge, the other may deliver from farther distance.

And don't forget the $1,100 discount if you are financing and $1,400 discount if you're paying cash. With inflation as it is, I decided the dollar in 60 months will be worth less than the dollar today, so the savings of $300 will not be worth it,

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Wow, the prices definitely vary. I actually worked with 2 dealers and pinned one against the other. Basically, due to supply chain issues, they say they do not bargain anymore. Whatever MSRP is, that is what they offer. I went to the first dealer that had (I believe) older stock, so he quoted me prices likely from before January price spike. Unfortunately, they did not have R14 tires I wanted. So I called another dealer. This one is in the country and his stock moves much faster. His stock was from March (allegedly). His price was $1,600 higher. I gave him the cost the competitor provided to me, and he was able to drop it to within $200 of the other place. I felt an extra $200 upcharge would get me the R14 tires I wanted (instead of R4). So I went with them. And that is how I ended up bargaining price down. It may be worthwhile to assess prices at other dealers, especially city dealers that may not have as much movement as out of city limits. Worst case, many of them deliver for free, so if this one does not budge, the other may deliver from farther distance.

And don't forget the $1,100 discount if you are financing and $1,400 discount if you're paying cash. With inflation as it is, I decided the dollar in 60 months will be worth less than the dollar today, so the savings of $300 will not be worth it,
The $300 savings over 60 months would only be paid in 60 months (inflation) dollars, if you could ( not offered ) make zero monthly payments for the first 59 months, and then pay the total amount in the 60th month.
Otherwise, it might be a "wash" at best.

eugene89us

Equipment
L2501HST
Apr 13, 2022
Mississippi
The $300 savings over 60 months would only be paid in 60 months (inflation) dollars, if you could ( not offered ) make zero monthly payments for the first 59 months, and then pay the total amount in the 60th month.
Otherwise, it might be a "wash" at best.
Well, of course, the inflation is compounded over time. But even look at it for 1 year, last year being the example. I don't think the inflation is getting any better soon, the consumer price index is up, what, 7.5 to 8% and the price rise for steel and other materials are up way more that that. Let's take government official numbers. I financed about $27,000 which includes the products as well as insurance for 60 months. If I financed this money in 2021 and now will have paid on it for 1 year (with 4 more years to go on my loan), the same money last year (conservative 6.1% inflation over last 12 months) would bring it to $28,647. So now, for the rest of 4 years, I am paying same loan amount at a reduced dollar worth. If inflation skyrockets more, I can either resell the used product for almost the same as I purchased it when you take depreciation into account or simply continue paying for the loan with reduced dollar value.

I pray we will never reach hyperinflation, but should the loaf of bread cost $1,000,000 one day, the contract terms for the loan remain the same - it does not increase with inflation, making especially good investments (such as land or real estate) excellent options. Hence the reason we bought some land, and now I need a tractor! Haha.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
U
Well, of course, the inflation is compounded over time. But even look at it for 1 year, last year being the example. I don't think the inflation is getting any better soon, the consumer price index is up, what, 7.5 to 8% and the price rise for steel and other materials are up way more that that. Let's take government official numbers. I financed about $27,000 which includes the products as well as insurance for 60 months. If I financed this money in 2021 and now will have paid on it for 1 year (with 4 more years to go on my loan), the same money last year (conservative 6.1% inflation over last 12 months) would bring it to $28,647. So now, for the rest of 4 years, I am paying same loan amount at a reduced dollar worth. If inflation skyrockets more, I can either resell the used product for almost the same as I purchased it when you take depreciation into account or simply continue paying for the loan with reduced dollar value.

I pray we will never reach hyperinflation, but should the loaf of bread cost $1,000,000 one day, the contract terms for the loan remain the same - it does not increase with inflation, making especially good investments (such as land or real estate) excellent options. Hence the reason we bought some land, and now I need a tractor! Haha.
I certainly do understand current tractor pricing/valuation.

34 months ago I bought a 2006, 251 hour Kubota L48 TLB from an original owner, for $32K.
I did not need a loan!

The HST L48 looks nearly new, ( I repainted the wheels and ROPS hat ) and has a hyd. thumb, Q/A loader bucket, Q/C hoe bucket, 3 rear remotes, a hyd. lock/unock system for the loader bucket, and 3rd function.
All the bells & whistles.

From what I can determine through comparables ( there actually has not been a true comparable sold that I have been able to find ), I estimate the current value of my L48 TLB to be in excess of $42K.

A $10K+ value increase equals 31% over 34 months.
I very seriously doubt that I could have made a better tax free investment, anywhere!
And.......I have had the physical use of that investment, readily available for me to play with, for the entire 34 months.
My adult children will likely be the ones to eventually sell it........not me!

A heavy equipment owner friend jokingly says I "stole it".
(seller had original documentation)
Who doesn't love a good tractor deal?

Last edited:

XSpecBx

Equipment
B2601, Artillian Pallet Forks, Woodmaxx MX-8600, LP BB1248
Apr 3, 2022
Ledyard, CT
I bought a new B2601 in December. When I bought that, i was told by my dealer that a 4% increase was coming to tractors and 6% on loaders/BHs starting January 1st. Since then, there was another price increase on April 1st for another 4%. Demand is high and supplies are low. Kubota also held off on any price increases in 2021, so I’m sure some of this is making up for that.

I bought a BX1880 as my first tractor in June 2020 and that machine has gone up $2-3k since then. If the price was roughly the same everywhere, you probably did alright. Just be thankful you got when you did because it’s probably going to get worse.

I have been waiting on a BH since I bought my B2601. I’m not excited to see what the asking price is when it arrives.

forky

Equipment
L2501 HST 4X4 8N
Feb 23, 2021
Wisconsin
Kubota did have a 3% price increase in Jan 2021. I was pricing then and watched it happen.
Buy now before you wished you did.

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia

Yes did the same thing two dealers for a reality check. Paid off too as I made offers below the lowest quote and compromised close to my offer. it was b2301 so not really comparable could not get an L2501 until August

OrYgun

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2021 Kubota L2501
May 7, 2021
Oregon
Good evening, we are about to take delivery of our very first tractor. I read many threads on this forum, lots of wonderful information. However, when I read pricing questions, it pains me to find out how much more the tractor prices rose over last 2 to 3 years. Looking at MSRP, bare L2501 HST tractor runs for about the same price as a package deal just mere 2 years ago.

I received many invoice options and they are very close to one another. Here is what we settled on:

L2501 HST with Guardian (Perry Company) metal canopy and filled R14 tires: $18,000

LA525 Front Loader with QC: $5,750

RCR1860 Rotary Cutter: $2,300

Subtract $1,100 rebate. 1.5% sales tax plus $250 financing documents fee and $2,098 for insurance for 60 months at 0%. I guess this is inflation playing a role. Most dealers mentioned that prices on equipment seem to rise with every shipment delivery. It is unreal!

Does anyone have any recent experiences with this?
Got L2501 last year. $23,000

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
The 3901 tractor has 37.5hp while 2501 has 24.8hp. So actually 12.7hp difference to be precise. Lack of DPF sold me on 2501 and apparently there is a way to modify engine for more hp, not that I am equipped enough to go through with it. Haha.
In that hp range, the difference is significant; especially related to pto hp and the implements that can be operated.

eugene89us

Equipment
L2501HST
Apr 13, 2022
Mississippi
Yeah, originally, we were considering L3902. I liked the small upgrades, such as no clutch pedal, rubber mats, electronic PTO engagement. We drive 3 German diesels in the household, so I am used to DPF regens, AdBlue, and EGR. But always felt them to be the weakest links.

Once I started looking at costs, same tractor would cost $8,500 more. Add that to the mortgage on the land at 4% APR. I decided money would be best spent paying off my debts quicker and the 24.8hp would be adequate for basic land maintenance, such as mowing/bush-hogging, pulling, and small dirt work. Since the land is full of trees (after all, it is forestry land), getting a larger tractor series would cause issues fitting between trees. It made sense to either consider the max (3902) or the min (2501). Max would certainly provide good power while remaining in small form factor. Min would provide simplicity to the engine and lack of emissions that would later require attention and money. I may regret making my decision on assumption that this would be adequate for my current needs, I may later identify that the tractor us underpowered and inadequate, but I can always upgrade up. With current inflation, I may be able to do so with little loss on depreciation. Time will tell. Next tractor will likely be a Cabineer, after all, my first car was a 21-year-old beater. An yet, I learned a lot from it and still regret selling it for a mere $1500.

Reactions: 1 users