Pressure in hydraulic line of FEL stored over winter

CharlieFoxtrot

Equipment
B2650
Dec 8, 2016
Northeast
In late fall, I removed my FEL and stored it in a tarp garage. Prior to removing the FEL for storage, I worked the handle in several circles to relieve the pressure in the lines -- as I do every time I turn off the tractor and/or remove the FEL and I have never had a problem.

This weekend, I removed the snowblower and tried to put on the FEL. A couple of the lines were difficult to push on the QD connections so I reached inside of the FEL side connectors with a screwdriver and pressed down the nipple. A little fluid came out -- no big deal.

One of the fittings was a different story. Even pressing my body weight onto a screwdriver, the nipple would not budge. Finally, I was able to get it to move by whacking a punch with a hammer onto it. When it did finally give, a good spurt of fluid shot up several feet over my head.

It is my first winter/spring change over with my tractor so I have to ask whether this is normal. Did I do something wrong prior to storage that could have helped me avoid having pressure in that line? Could it have been the result of severe temperature swings with the FEL being stored in a non-heated space? Is there an easier or better way to relieve pressure in a line?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You really should never whack them with a punch or even a screwdriver.
Better to use a 2x4 and wrap a rag around them to keep the mess contained.
If the check ball is real tight, loosening the fitting will relieve pressure less violently.

afret

Equipment
L3901, MX5800, U55-4
May 7, 2015
North Idaho
What I've noticed is if the temperature is warmer when you try to attach the implement than when you took it off, pressure builds up in the lines.

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
I posted about this before - as I have experienced the same thing.

You may want to make up a some "storage couplers" with shut-off valves on their ends. Get some spare male couplers and attach a 1/4-turn ballvalve shutoff valve on them. After you disconnect the FEL and park it, you can plug in the male couplers to the hose ends of the FEL (shutoff closed to keep dirt out and oil in. Then, when your ready to reattach you just open the shutoff valve on the storage coupler for a second to relive any built up pressure.

** Or you can take two wrenches and loosen the female coupler on the hose to relieve pressure and mentioned earlier.

I haven't actually done this myself (yet) as I'm too lazy to actually do it - but not too lazy to talk/write about it.

Redlands

Sep 16, 2016
North Central Oklahoma
I usually just bump the male connector on a hard surface and let off the pressure. Countybumkin idea i like.
Now the main purpose of my post. If the pressure is built up keep in mind that hydraulic fluid is a bad deal in your eyes. Also it takes less pressure than you might think to puncture the skin. Hydraulic fluid under the skin is a major issue [emoji855]
Be real careful..........

CharlieFoxtrot

Equipment
B2650
Dec 8, 2016
Northeast
Thanks to all for the safety reminders. I should have been wearing glasses in anticipation that the oil would come out violently. I have to do an implement change over this weekend and will see if this happens again.