Prep For Planting Grass

PortTackFarm

Equipment
L3560 LE (ROP's) w/ LA805 FEL, LP RCF 2072, BB2572 and WoodMaxx WM-8H
Jul 2, 2021
The Ville and The Farm (KY)
We are quickly approaching the best time to plant grass and I need some advice. I say plant grass rather than putting in a lawn because as much as I'd love a nice lawn, my priorities are to reduce or eliminate erosion, reduce or eliminate areas of exposed dirt and mud and create a green yard which looks decent from 50' away. At this point, I really don't care if it's mostly weeds or mostly grass or a mix.

Some background, this is a recreational property of about 44 acres, mostly wooded, with an acre surrounding our newly built "Barndo" which needs to have grass planted. Our soil is mostly clay with very little, if any, top soil. The area currently has a mix of grass and lots of weeds, but is mostly exposed dirt. It is hilly but does have flat areas, especially between the road and the building. It is loaded with rocks, field stone I think, mostly flat, 1"-4" thick and generally ranging in size from3"x3" to as large as 24"x24" or more. It seems the more rocks we collect the more we expose. As soon as we get most of them picked up it rains and there's a whole new crop ready for harvest. I don't think it's feasible or even possible to collect all the rocks. We also have lots of ruts from water run off.

Last year around this time I sprayed the entire area with concentrated "Roundup" and killed off all grass and weeds. I hired a local guy to spread a couple loads of top soil, prep the area for grass, plant grass and spread straw. While he managed to spread top soil and go over some of the area with a Harley Rake on his skidsteer, by the time he got ready to plant grass it was too late in the season, so no grass.

Fast forward to this year, I need to get some grass planted and I really don't want to spend a bunch of money hiring another "guy" this year and really don't want to kill everything off again if I can get away with it. We plan to plant KY31 Tall Fescue. What can I get away with in the way of soil prep and planting? We have thought about renting a rototiller for our tractor for soil prep, but with all our rocks, I don't see that as a viable option as I'd hate to tear it up. We've thought about renting a disc cultivator to break things up before planting, but not sure if this will work. We have also thought about renting a walk behind power seeder. I am open to all thoughts and suggests. Thanks in advance.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
How big an area are you looking to plant?

I've had decent luck with peat moss in place of top soil, and cover with straw. Some use peat moss in place of straw. Might not be an option if a large area. I've had to do 5-8,000 sq. ft. a couple times in recent years.

Have any pictures? Would help me.

I see you're in Kentucky. Probably good timing to plan it. "They" say the Fall lawns are the best lawns - - whoever "they" are. ;) I've had good luck with a couple fall seedings in New York.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I am not sure it’s exactly same situation, but when I did my other place:
1. the trails were cleared with a mulching head on CTL.
2. I consulted soil and water, and they recommend rye grass that is used for water ways and ditches (quick start fast growing and cheap)
3. I pull a section of chain link fence behind atv just to rough up the surface.
4. I spread with atv / spreader on back.
5. Drug again with atv and section of fence.
It did great…only regret was the type of grass which grows to be height of the hood on tractor and it grows fast…so if don’t get there very often it’s tall. I don’t think a grass seed for a lawn would grow that tall…so I wish I spent an extra buck or two on the seed and got a much shorter grass…what I did was fine, I just dont need the tall grass so much…if wanting to bail or compost it that would have been fine. For soil prep I did very little. I’ve done a couple other patches since with a lawn seed with same ground prep and it grew just fine. Point is I think it doesn’t take much prep.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

PortTackFarm

Equipment
L3560 LE (ROP's) w/ LA805 FEL, LP RCF 2072, BB2572 and WoodMaxx WM-8H
Jul 2, 2021
The Ville and The Farm (KY)
How big an area are you looking to plant?

I've had decent luck with peat moss in place of top soil, and cover with straw. Some use peat moss in place of straw. Might not be an option if a large area. I've had to do 5-8,000 sq. ft. a couple times in recent years.

Have any pictures? Would help me.

I see you're in Kentucky. Probably good timing to plan it. "They" say the Fall lawns are the best lawns - - whoever "they" are. ;) I've had good luck with a couple fall seedings in New York.
The area to plant is about an acre.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Use a 3pt hitch rock rake and go back and forth over it to loosen the surface and drag off any rocks it pulls up. If you don’t have one, see if you can rent or borrow one. It will only loosen up the surface and pull up less rocks than a rototiller or a disc will. Spread your seed then drag something behind your tractor like a piece of chain link fence or a 6x6 to help incorporate the seed. The other option is to rent or borrow some sort of pull behind roller to pack the seed in.

Reactions: 1 users