Power loss

Honkjo

Equipment
ZG 20 kubota zero turn
Sep 11, 2021
Kentucky
My ZG 20 started to bog down when mowing short grass, when I shut the deck off it gained most power back. I changed fuel filter transmission fluid and filter still the same. Any help is appreciated

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Is it possible you're running on only one cylinder? My 26 hp Craftsman worked much better after I learned it was only running on one cylinder.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
check the spark plugs, better yet just replace them.

That's a Kohler engine. Single throat downdraft carb. Kind of a neat engine, although they weren't bulletproof. Coils were an issue (like a lot of Kohlers), and head gaskets. Coils are no fun to replace on the ZG20 and ZG23, gotta pull the engine off of the frame.

Honkjo

Equipment
ZG 20 kubota zero turn
Sep 11, 2021
Kentucky
Is it possible you're running on only one cylinder? My 26 hp Craftsman worked much better after I learned it was only running on one cylinder.
Yeah found someone saying to pull the plug wire off and determine I am running on one cylinder. I have no fire so assuming it’s the coil gone bad.

Honkjo

Equipment
ZG 20 kubota zero turn
Sep 11, 2021
Kentucky
check the spark plugs, better yet just replace them.

That's a Kohler engine. Single throat downdraft carb. Kind of a neat engine, although they weren't bulletproof. Coils were an issue (like a lot of Kohlers), and head gaskets. Coils are no fun to replace on the ZG20 and ZG23, gotta pull the engine off of the frame.
I was looking for a manual or video of this, so there is no way to get to them otherwise?

Captainuno

Equipment
Kubota L3350DT/New Holland TC30
Oct 12, 2019
Southern California
Runs ok when no load? It sounds like a fuel problem to me the way you explained it. If one of your coils are bad it would be missing with no load. I understand you replaced the fuel filter but did you check the fuel line from the filter back to the tank? In our experience we have found the fuel pick up tubes plugged enough to let it run but when you need the extra fuel when under load the engine falls on it's face because lack of fuel. The small diaphragm pump does not have enough suction to pull the debri from the tank up to the fuel filter. The 90 degree fitting coming out of the tank is the usual culprit where it plugs up (see attachment) but sometimes it is at the end of the pick up tube inside the tank.
No matter how careful you are, there will be small particles falling into the fuel tank, it is just the nature of the beast, if this is the problem you are having, it is best to remove the tank and clean out the debri.

Attachments

Bark

Equipment
L4701/FM2560LA765/BB2560Pittsburgh disk Titan P forks
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
Yeah found someone saying to pull the plug wire off and determine I am running on one cylinder. I have no fire so assuming it’s the coil gone bad.
Just for clarification, are you saying you have spark to one cylinder but not the other?

Honkjo

Equipment
ZG 20 kubota zero turn
Sep 11, 2021
Kentucky
Just for clarification, are you saying you have spark to one cylinder but not the other?
Yes I put a new plug in the side that caused to stall the engine and let it dangle but had no spark so leads me to believe the coil is bad. Because no spark.

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
"Dangle" as in "mid-air" or still in contact with the engine?

Bark

Equipment
L4701/FM2560LA765/BB2560Pittsburgh disk Titan P forks
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
Its probably not the same with your Kubota but a couple of two cylinder motors I had, had the spark occurring at the same time on both cylinders meaning both plugs sparked on both the exhaust stroke and the intake compression stroke. Is it possible the one coil wire got pulled a little bit out of the coil?

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Its probably not the same with your Kubota but a couple of two cylinder motors I had, had the spark occurring at the same time on both cylinders meaning both plugs sparked on both the exhaust stroke and the intake compression stroke. Is it possible the one coil wire got pulled a little bit out of the coil?

it's a kohler on a ZG20, they have two coils one for each cylinder. Kohler coils have been known in the past to die. Many of them have replaced the old style coils with a new style so when one of the originals dies you have to get both as a kit which is a lot more expensive than the original. Never was a fan of Kohler, for this and a lot of other reasons, but they do the job they're asked.

Reactions: 1 user