Post a picture of your Kubota Front Mount Snowblower, please.

Snowman7

Equipment
LX3310 535 loader, LX2980, RB2672, FDR1660
May 20, 2020
Boyne Falls, MI.
The shear bolt failed because you ran over something, like a small rock, newspaper, that lodged and stop the blade long enough for it to shear. That is what you want. just replace it, along with the washer. Don't use a loc nut, just the normal 1/2 inch nut and bolt. Make sure you purchase the correct shear bolt for your snowblower. There is a different shear bolt for the outside and the inside fan. The are about 2 to 3 dollars each. I purchase 10 for 30 dollars, and have had to replace the one on the fan, and the outside. My snowblower is the BX2816. It is the same shear bolt for a lot of Kubota snowblowers.
When I said the shear bolt failed I meant it failed to do its job and shear. It did not shear and that is why I had the breakdown. I agree on Fluid Film, been using it for years.

Snowman7

Equipment
May 20, 2020
Boyne Falls, MI.
No locknut is just asking for trouble, imo. Why suggest that? Overtightening the shear bolt nuts to make sure the bolt remains in place can cause early bolt shearing. I ALWAYS lock washer or nylon locknut the shear bolts, and tighten snugly not too tight.
Without a lock nut or washer those shear bolt nuts would have loosened off regularly, on my machine anyway.
The factory shear bolts have locknuts included

Reactions: 1 user

Downeaster

Equipment
Kubota BX1880, loader, mower deck, and ballast
Oct 18, 2022
Waterford, Maine
When I said the shear bolt failed I meant it failed to do its job and shear. It did not shear and that is why I had the breakdown. I agree on Fluid Film, been using it for years.
Oh that isn't good. Was it a genuine shear bolt, or just a plain 5/16 bolt. Maybe the previous owner didn't replace it with a genuine shear bolt with lock an lock washer. if you check and find it has a plain bolt, you will understand the cause of the breakdown. The proper shear bolt looks like this.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Oh that isn't good. Was it a genuine shear bolt, or just a plain 5/16 bolt. Maybe the previous owner didn't replace it with a genuine shear bolt with lock an lock washer. if you check and find it has a plain bolt, you will understand the cause of the breakdown. The proper shear bolt looks like this.
That shear bolt fits 43 models.

Snowman7

Equipment
May 20, 2020
Boyne Falls, MI.
I bought the blower new, factory shear bolts, here is the failed bolt, it tried to break. Old and new out of package.

Attachments

River19

Equipment
B2601, RB1560, BB1260 and BX2830 blower
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
I have 3 seasons on my BX2830 blower and other than the usual maintenance and shear bolt replacements when broken I have had very little issue, in fact none really.

Got rid of that silly "Lawyer Grill" over the chute the first season and I spray it occasionally with non stick spray when I know the snow is wet and sticky. Occasionally the chute (hydraulic) won't rotate 100% to the right and that is usually just ice needing to break up......lasts only a few mins.......

Very pleased with the unit. Just spent 8-10 hrs on it clearing our 38" dumping a couple weeks ago, heavy wet March snow in New England.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
I bought the blower new, factory shear bolts, here is the failed bolt, it tried to break. Old and new out of package.
The new bolt's threads look to be about 1/8" - 3/16" longer than the failed-to-break bolt threads, or said differently, the new bolt threads go further up the bolt, to where the shear plane is.
I recall saying this way back here, it seems the fan's shear bolt plane intersected the full thickness of the old shear bolt instead of at its threads because the bolt "neck" is too long, or threads just a bit too short to intersect at the shear plane.
So it failed to shear.

Downeaster

Equipment
Kubota BX1880, loader, mower deck, and ballast
Oct 18, 2022
Waterford, Maine
Those bolts look like ordinary bolts to me. If they are 5/16 it would hurt to try the the ones I sent a picture of. They have a definite breaking point on them. Cheaper than doing damage to chain etc.