Pond problem, algae bloom

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
We have a spring fed 1/4acre pond. This is our 3rd year living here and the first time experiencing an algae bloom. We had heavy rains a week ago and i have a feeling surface runnoff of my lawn got into the pond. We have 2 dogs and they poop alot. Since that heavy rain, every day the pond got more and more algea on the surface but looking closer its throughout the pond down to the pond floor.

Anything i can do immediately? I plan to airate the pond because I dont want the wildlife to die off. We have painted turtles, snapping turtles, all kids of various ducks that come, bass, crayfish all kinds of frogs and even saw a water snake once. The bass are even spawning, i got the go pro in the water catching it all now.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
It sounds to me as if you are aware there are 'nutrients' within the water causing the algae-bloom. Likewise, once the nutrients are gone, the algae will die-off... and can end up like a septic-tank 🤧

You have essentially 2 options:

1. Spend $$ and time to chemically treat like a swimmng-pool
    • There are specific chemicals which can kill algae.... and keep on killing
    • THIS OPTION MAY BE FASTER... but not environmentally friendly
  2. Let nature "run its course" and allow the algae to consume all the nutrients which are causing it to grow. (This is EXACTLY same way a newly-assembled aquarium behaves before adding fish)
    • Adding some beneficial (legal) aquatic plants, snails, fish... etc can also help.
    • Adding a 'sprayer' or 'bubbler' to the pond to oxygenate the water is a good idea.
    • THIS OPTION IS NOT FAST.... but ends up with far more natural, lasting results.

Reactions: 1 user

Thalweg

Equipment
Kubota B2650, Kubota BX2200
Apr 8, 2023
Buffalo, Wyoming
Algae blooms are often the result of excess nitrates. If left uncontrolled you run the risk of the pond becoming eutrophic (insufficient dissolved oxygen). Once it becomes eutorphic, pretty much everything is going to die. The best treatment is the introduction of other aquatic plants that will generate oxygen. You're unlikely to have much luck though until you get control of the surface runoff. Fecal matter and fertilizer from your lawn are the most likely culprits. There are other treatments that include bacterial introductions and other chemicals, but they would probably involve the participation of professionals.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
I live in a large development (nearly 4000 homes with 6 golf courses); there are over 70 interconnected lagoons (mostly fresh water) that eventually connect to the ocean. The lagoons and surroundings have large populations of fish, turtles, birds and a few alligators.

Whenever an algae bloom occurs, they spray it with a clear liquid from the shore or a jon boat. The bloom disappears within a few days.

I do not know what it is, but there is an effective and safe solution.

It might be something like this:

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
Algae blooms are often the result of excess nitrates. If left uncontrolled you run the risk of the pond becoming eutrophic (insufficient dissolved oxygen). Once it becomes eutorphic, pretty much everything is going to die. The best treatment is the introduction of other aquatic plants that will generate oxygen. You're unlikely to have much luck though until you get control of the surface runoff. Fecal matter and fertilizer from your lawn are the most likely culprits. There are other treatments that include bacterial introductions and other chemicals, but they would probably involve the participation of professionals.
We dont use fertilizer on our lawn but the dogs doo poop. Havent seen this happen before here but we had 5" of rain on a saturated ground and my theory is surface water went in. There is already some bottom vegitation in the pond as well as a section of cattails. Will a fountain add oxygen enough to keep things alive? Will algaecide kill the animal life?

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
We dont use fertilizer on our lawn but the dogs doo poop. Havent seen this happen before here but we had 5" of rain on a saturated ground and my theory is surface water went in. There is already some bottom vegitation in the pond as well as a section of cattails. Will a fountain add oxygen enough to keep things alive? Will algaecide kill the animal life?
The algaecide listed in my post is safe for wildlife and regular plants, and you can buy as a homeowner.

Thalweg

Equipment
Kubota B2650, Kubota BX2200
Apr 8, 2023
Buffalo, Wyoming
If you've got cattails and other plants, I wouldn't think you're problem is really that bad. We only use chemicals as an absolute last resort. They all say they are safe for animal life, but there are always unintended consequences. In my opinion, it has to be pretty bad to go that route, and it doesn't sound to me like you're there. But opinions vary. Your call. Get control of the dog poop. Aeration would help some. Oftentimes aerators are overrated. Cooling the water is helpful, ie, getting shade on it.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
being a small pond (and since you have a tractor) you could make a cheap pivot net and skim it off. Would take a little work but cheap and easy to do.

you seem to have handle on long term solution! just a short quick oneimte fix needed?

Turfturd

Equipment
B7510
May 20, 2021
Missouri
We have a spring fed 1/4acre pond. This is our 3rd year living here and the first time experiencing an algae bloom. We had heavy rains a week ago and i have a feeling surface runnoff of my lawn got into the pond. We have 2 dogs and they poop alot. Since that heavy rain, every day the pond got more and more algea on the surface but looking closer its throughout the pond down to the pond floor.

Anything i can do immediately? I plan to airate the pond because I dont want the wildlife to die off. We have painted turtles, snapping turtles, all kids of various ducks that come, bass, crayfish all kinds of frogs and even saw a water snake once. The bass are even spawning, i got the go pro in the water catching it all now.
Yes aerate the pond. I have had small 1/4 acre pond for over 30 years. I keep fish in it and all kinds of wildlife. I started to have some cattails but they soon took over. I had to physically remove them. I had some trouble keeping fish for the first 10 years or so. The conservation department told me about dissolved oxygen so I started testing for it. Once I installed a fountain my pond has been great. The fish flourish and the aquatic plants are almost non existent. Here in MO we can purchase grass carp and I am sure they help.
My fountain is nothing but a sump pump that is submerged and attached to a float anchored in the middle of my pond. I made a nozzle out of a pipe cap and put the pump on a timer. When my dissolved oxygen starts getting low I run the fountain more. I purchased the test kit from an online company. I keep the DO’s between 5 and 8 parts per million. Good luck but I would recommend aerating your pond.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
being a small pond (and since you have a tractor) you could make a cheap pivot net and skim it off. Would take a little work but cheap and easy to do.

you seem to have handle on long term solution! just a short quick oneimte fix needed?
Actually me and the wife skimmed the top with a rope pulling from each side. Then once to shore, raked it onto the grass. This got 80% of the stuff on top but looking down into the water, its below the surface too. From the surface to the bottom in some places.

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
Get in touch with your state's agricultural extension service or your state's environmental control department or both. Neither of those will lead you astray on what is safe and legal to use in your pond.

matt-m

Equipment
2022 B2601
Mar 17, 2022
Columbus, IN
I use nitrate and phosphate test kits to measure nutrient load, then have used a binder (Phosphate Eliminator) over a few weeks to bring the phos level down. I believe this helped (per test numbers) plus I did do a few treatments with algacide as well at the first signs of a bloom (just a partial surface skim coat, not as bad as what you're describing) until the phos came down. We also run (8 hrs/day) a 'high oxygen transfer surface aerator' which I believe helps with overall pond health (plus looks and sounds nice on our 1 acre pond.)

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I kinda find it had to believe two dogs could poop that much to 'turn' a 1/2 acre pond.
Excessive rain might though.. each raindrop has some Nitrogen attached ( air is 78% N....) ?
I know farmers love lots of snow melt... free N !
Agree get the water in motion,up in the air.... will also eliminate mosquitoes.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I have a wind activated aerator. It pulls the water up and keeps the pond open in freezing weather. Simply has a lawn mower blade at the end of the shaft. Creates a constant turn over.

Attachments

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Yes aerate the pond.
I've never owned a pond but I did see on one of YouTube channels I watch a similar situation with algae covering the entire surface of a 3 acre or so pond. The owner put in a few aerators but made the mistake of running them for too long when first starting out, and when all of the crap on the bottom got stirred up it killed off all or at least most of the fish. Basically, he learned that they should only run for a limited time to begin with. My $0.02 based on someone else's experience (that was well documented). :LOL:

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
I kinda find it had to believe two dogs could poop that much to 'turn' a 1/2 acre pond.
Excessive rain might though.. each raindrop has some Nitrogen attached ( air is 78% N....) ?
I know farmers love lots of snow melt... free N !
Agree get the water in motion,up in the air.... will also eliminate mosquitoes.
Its a 1/4 acre, actually a little less. The dog poop is just a theory i had as 2 full size dogs pooped all winter about 100ft and uphill from the pond. Regular rains drain that area away from and around the pond but this super heavy rain had roads washed out everywhere and im assuming a lot of surface runnoff that didnt go in the usual path.

Ive added a fountain nozzle to a sump pump i had kicking around to help airate the water, and i just received some algaecide in the mail safe for other vegetation and fish

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Its a 1/4 acre, actually a little less. The dog poop is just a theory i had as 2 full size dogs pooped all winter about 100ft and uphill from the pond. Regular rains drain that area away from and around the pond but this super heavy rain had roads washed out everywhere and im assuming a lot of surface runnoff that didnt go in the usual path.

Ive added a fountain nozzle to a sump pump i had kicking around to help airate the water, and i just received some algaecide in the mail safe for other vegetation and fish
If it were me, I’d let your aeration work a while before I added any chemicals. Just my gut says it’s a better way to go.

I used to be quite savvy with drinking water and waste water treatment, but was a long time ago.

Nitrogen is one element of interest with blooms, but phosphorus is equally if not more important. I think aeration deals with both in decent fashion.