Pond help please

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Amazing. Nothing like that around here at all. We have 2 ways to fly here. In ground vault with two separate compartments and 2 access lids, the second compartment connecting to a pipe that leads to what we term a leach field which is a series of perforated plastic 4" pipes set in fine gravel and covered with earth (and the grass grows well on the top, or in my case my hay grows well on top or...

If it don't percolate (we have varied soil here,) I'm on black loam but just down the road a piece is blue clay that won't 'perc' so that requires an 'engineered field' which is what Wolfman is referring to. It's basically an above grade mound of permeable soil (sand and loam) mixed together with the 'leach' pipes inside the mound, above grade with black plastic 10 mil sheeting covering the grade where the mound is placed. There is still a vault tank but the effulent is pumped (via a lift pump) into the above grade leach field (inside the mound of soil). It's very expensive to construct and has a finite life expectancy.

Here, the county recommends pumping the vault every 5 years. I monitor mine myself (have access via 2 covers). When it looks to be getting full of sludge on the primary tank, I call the 'honey wagon' and have it sucked out and pay my 100 bucks and smile. Back in the day, an outhouse was much easier. You built your outhouse above the garden and it kept your vegetables growing good. When it got full, you dug another pit and moved the outhouse and covered the old one with a layer of dirt and called it good...lol A shot of lime every few months kept the smell under control and there was always a good supply of reading material in there that could be used for TP if you forgot to take a roll with you.

Poop is a part of life. Everyone poops....lol

I had to Google Oxidation pond as well. Nothing like that around here anywhere.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Russell, I don't think he needs to add anything to his system. I was approved when he purchased the property within the last couple of years when it was inspected for a loan. They are estremely critical at that inspection because their money is on the line.

Sorry I didn’t mean to imply he had to change or add anything. I was trying to suggest that the time to change may be now and use any money for the repair as seed money for change/improvements.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Thanks again guys! Im at least a few weeks away from even getting the tractor out due to all the rain we have had. I was going to try to get out there this weekend with the brushcutter and start pulling the stuff out by hand.