Pole barn

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
I'm also planning to build a pole barn out building. Can you describe how you installed the rigid insulation into the frame of your building? What were the spacings of our structure and how did you install the board....thickness?, and what did you cover the board with?, walls?, ceiling? Thanks

sure!

its an actual pole barn.. so the poles are 6x6's on 8' centers & it has a trussed roof.. also on 8' centers. there are 2x4 "runners" across the trusses at 4' aprt on the truss' & the walls are 12' high so the runners are at 0,4,8,12' high.
its metal sheeting covering outside walls & roof.

so putting the foam on the interior ceiling at 12' high was real easy. just took some perforated pins & screwed them to the bottom of the trusses & ran my sheets the 8' lengths, which puts the pins/washers on the seams.

then when you run the wall sheets you just stand them up inside the poles touching the 2x4 runners & you can secure them any way you like. i again used the perforated pins/washer because they were free.. fast & i use them everyday.

tape up the joints & your good to go. took about 45 sheets at $18 per sheet. used 1.5" thick polyiso/foam w/foil backing on both sides. it was on sale when i got it.

dont want to steal the OP's thread, but if you need pix to explain that better i can take them for ya.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
My father has one that is built that way. The bottom is a 2 car garage with a workshop in the back bay, the upstairs is storage.

alleyyooper

Equipment
3301 and FL
Sep 20, 2017
Michigan
We built a pole barn that is our cabin 24'x24' in Michigans UP. We got it From Big L lumber in Stanwood and it uses T1-11 sides No trusses instead has 2x8 roof joice 24" on center and has 10 foot walls.
Has OSB on the roof with furing strips and covered with steel so snow slides off.
It has a 24 x12 loft on one end and would be easy to add a second loft on the other end if we wished.

The plan was once we retired and built our home there the cabin would become my work shop.

:D Al

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Great find with this post. I need to put up a pole barn once the warm weather comes back. Also need a pond to help with drainage but that is another topic.

Does anyone have a brand they like better than others? Morton, Menards, Carter Lumber, etc?

I have an Amish community near by that I need to engage to see what they will build one for as well.

Power wise, I am planning on putting in conduit and running an air line and network cable, but due to panel constraints, I am not running any power at this time. I will hook up solar for lights, opener and basics. If I need more than running an extension cord from the garage I will probably need my electric coop to put in another service from their transformer.

Door wise, I want 12' high and at least 14' wide. No more hitting the top of the door with my ROPS. Internal height will be 14'. Internal, 20x36 with 4" concrete floor.