Plywood to prevent rutting? FOLLOW UP

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
I‘d like to use my L3800 on a drainage project in my yard. I don’t want to create more work for myself by creating ruts that I’ll have to repair. The ground is soft where the work is needed but not soupy. I have ag tires and it could get ugly quick. I had the idea to lay down 1/2” OSB sheets so I can scoop with the loader and back out to more solid ground to dump the load. I could double up where I’ll be digging if necessary. Am I foolish to think this can work? Do you think OSB can support my tractor without breaking on flat ground?

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I have used 1/2" OSB for this exact situation, but my B7100 is probably lighter (approx 2500lbs) than your L3800. even with AGs, FEL, BH, & wheel weights.
I guess that may not be much help.

Reactions: 1 user

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
You'll probably be fine. Try going onto a lesser noticed area of the lawn then backing off. Since the OSB is directly supported by the ground I doubt you'll punch through it. Plywood would probably be a better choice. You could also try a double layer of your OSB but I doubt it will be necessary.

Reactions: 1 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Have used plywood in the past when it wasn’t as costly as it is now. OSB will probably work. If it’s a one off job and you won’t have any use for the OSB afterward it might be worth checking with an equipment rental place to compare cost with renting a sufficient quantity of mud mat (click together sectional stuff designed for exactly what you’re doing). I know the Sunbelt Rental places around here rent it. No clue about availability elsewhere or current cost.

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
If it's a drainage project, I'd consider using a rubber tracked excavator with a clean out bucket and just move the over burden out the way, to allow for the drainage desired, then come back in drier weather to spread the excess dirt and slope the remaining area to the newly formed swale.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
If you are buying the plywood or OSB it will be cheaper to re-sod your lawn.

If you go with OSB you will have a million broken chips to clean up.

Lawn bounces back pretty fast. If it isn't a golf green I wouldn't worry about it.

Reactions: 2 users

SteveBX23

Equipment
LX2610SU; BH77
May 23, 2021
South Jersey
I have used 3/4" plywood plenty of times when using mini-excavators (7k-9klb range) for drainage projects or for moving the machine across delicate turf. The plywood serves 2 purposes for drainage projects. For the stated obvious reason, it helps to protect the turf from extensive damage. But it also serves as a holding platform for the removed material as your working down the line, helping to keep the desired turf cleaner. Assuming you are laying perforated pipe, stone, etc; the plywood could also allow for easier cleanup when moving the dirt back into the trench using the backhoe bucket. Then you may be able to run your FEL bucket along the plywood to scoop up extra material that remains. Yes, it may be expensive, but having those Ag tires, I'm sure you will get future use out of the plywood for similar projects.

Last edited:

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
OSB will fall apart quickly if there is any moisture present. The cost of plywood or OSB vs. the cost of rental mats for a one time usage I would go with the rental of the mud mats. If you were in the business of digging repeatedly, where you could use the plywood again, then it might make sense. The plywood would be damaged to badly for any other use.

bambam31

Equipment
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
Have used plywood in the past when it wasn’t as costly as it is now. OSB will probably work. If it’s a one off job and you won’t have any use for the OSB afterward it might be worth checking with an equipment rental place to compare cost with renting a sufficient quantity of mud mat (click together sectional stuff designed for exactly what you’re doing). I know the Sunbelt Rental places around here rent it. No clue about availability elsewhere or current cost.
Mud mats. I will check into that today. Thanks

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If you know anyone who has a tree spade or other construction equipment they may have material they are not using at the time and rent it to you.

bambam31

Equipment
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
3/4” plywood ripped is working great and is supporting my tractor
, box blade and a full loader with no problem. Thanks for all of the replies

Reactions: 2 users

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst