Plugs

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I imagine so, but front tires are small and getting them foam filled prevents future flats completely, and does not cost all that much.

Did that on both my BX and B2910 tractor soon after purchasing. Flats on the front of both was the reason. No regrets at all, after 19 years on the B, and 18 on the BX...

Reactions: 1 user

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Nothing against foam fill but if you’re not going that route for whatever reason, where that is on the tire a tire shop should be able to knock that off the rim and patch from the inside for nominal cost if you take them the wheel without the rest of the machine. It’s a better repair than a plug and the thought of ramming a plug through a R4 tire is making my wrist hurt.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I would go for a patch or a plug patch as well if this is just a random occurrence. If you will be operating in conditions where punctures will be a regular thing, then foam be the better option.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Unfortunately your puncture is in between the lugs of the tire. This area is very thin material. I had one in the same spot. The plug I installed leaked because you have to ream the puncture to install the plug which normally works but thats when its used in the lug area which is thick and will hold the plug better. I wound up using the Kubota branded liquid tire sealer along with the plug and its been holding for close to two years! You could try plugging the tire without reaming the puncture larger. I think this would be your best bet as far as plugging goes! Good luck!

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I just had my front tires tubed after similar damage.
I almost hesitate to reply to this comment, because it might sound argumentative.

Only relying on my experience bicycling to work year round for five years, summer and winter, to make this comment. 32 miles per day over western pa hills. Not just a short distance.

Problem with tubes is if you do get a puncture, you have to break the tire bead on one side, and pull the tube out to patch. Actually more difficult and time consuming that just putting a plug in a tubeless tire.

Tubeless tires were never was an option for me with bicycle tires. Guess that is what convinced me to foam fill my tractor front tires from day one (first puncture). Never regretted it.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I almost hesitate to reply to this comment, because it might sound argumentative.

Only relying on my experience bicycling to work year round for five years, summer and winter, to make this comment. 32 miles per day over western pa hills. Not just a short distance.

Problem with tubes is if you do get a puncture, you have to break the tire bead on one side, and pull the tube out to patch. Actually more difficult and time consuming that just putting a plug in a tubeless tire.

Tubeless tires were never was an option for me with bicycle tires. Guess that is what convinced me to foam fill my tractor front tires from day one (first puncture). Never regretted it.
True. But I tuned my front tires over 10 years ago and haven’t had a problem since.

Raymo853

Equipment
LX2610SU
Jun 26, 2019
Dorset, VA
I kept putting it off and off. Would just pump up the tire each time I used the tractor. After about 4 hours of working, the pressure dropped enough to roll the tire off of the rim.

I took the wheel to my Kubota dealer Sat morning. They took about 10 mins to replace the valve and plug the hole for $28. Gave me time to look at their large number of L3301s and L60 series units.

This photo has nothing to do with my problem, but is for the other biker who replied.

Attachments

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
Not that I matters as you have already had your tire repaired, but I had a nail in the front tire of my B2650hsdc and put a plug in it. This was over a year ago, and has not leaked since. Just for others that might want to go the same route.

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
Follow on for reference - I ran over an old chicken run (dumb move) and put three nails into one of my fronts (R14) I tried plugging. It works for my DD tires and it was fine on 2/3 but fail overall.

Ended up getting a truck repair shop to patch and have been golden since. I was in a time crunch and the place was going to patch AND tube, but got in the wrong stem type. I have one on hand now JIC

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Not that I matters as you have already had your tire repaired, but I had a nail in the front tire of my B2650hsdc and put a plug in it. This was over a year ago, and has not leaked since. Just for others that might want to go the same route.
Who can predict the odds of another puncture?

As I mentioned above, I got my front tires on both tractors foam filled, and the possibility of a second puncture became a non issue. Been about 19 years now on average.

Guess it is a risk benefit decision...Make your choice, take your chances kind of thing.

Made my choice never regretted it.

BUT we are all different. No argument there...we make decisions and live with the results...life is life...