Plowing stumps out

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Impressive. I’ve not got enough machine. But I don’t have the remnants of a pulp farm on flat ground. The forests of the PNW would not be well suited for that equipment.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I’ve got an acre of what was 15 yr old mesquite…. 4”-6” dia (at base) ….”clumps” of trees….(anyone who’s ever seen mesquite recover from being shredded will know what that is)…

I hired a guy a week ago who advertised “land clearing” who charged me $800 to take it down and push it into a large pile with a skid-steer on tracks. I set it on-fire three days ago. (see the link)

His machine left a dozen or so “stumps” in the ground which didn’t pull up. I used a land-plane to clear the area and drag-up the prickly-pear into the pile before burning it. One or two of the stumps abruptly stopped my M4700 almost throwing me out of the seat….and actually put an a “bow” or “bend” in the front blade of the land plane….forcing it into a rearward “bow”. (This has put a very slight downward bend in the blade also. Although it doesn’t take the land-plane out-of-action…. I’ll have to figure out how to pull that ”bow” back forward/up to straighten the front blade at some point.…just to restore my ”pride” in it.)

My problem is…. the two doz 5” stumps are going to be tough to get out of the ground….and a chain saw would be ruined in the dirt if I tried to cut them out…. I’d like to get the area restored to grass and good enough for a camping area.

To get a stump-bucket into play…. I’d have to have one built for my pin-on FEL… OR… buy a SSQA adaptor and then also a stump bucket. Either way I’m looking at another $1500-$2K to get that dozen stumps outta there…unless someone has a better idea.

One of the ”stumps” can be seen in the foreground of the ”link”… They cannot be simply pulled-up and will bring the tractor to a complete stop if attempted.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/z1kR8bGVkuMfgGnGA

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Maybe rent a mid sized excavator for the day ? First PLAN the event ! The day before mark/stake EVERY stump you need to remove. then day of digging... start with the closest stump, dig it out, go to the next closest one, repeat. Do NOT waste time putting pulled stumps into a neat window ! 'time IS money', your money. ONCE all the stumps are out THEN, if you have time..make the stump pile or windrow.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I’ve got an acre of what was 15 yr old mesquite…. 4”-6” dia (at base) ….”clumps” of trees….(anyone who’s ever seen mesquite recover from being shredded will know what that is)…

I hired a guy a week ago who advertised “land clearing” who charged me $800 to take it down and push it into a large pile with a skid-steer on tracks. I set it on-fire three days ago. (see the link)

His machine left a dozen or so “stumps” in the ground which didn’t pull up. I used a land-plane to clear the area and drag-up the prickly-pear into the pile before burning it. One or two of the stumps abruptly stopped my M4700 almost throwing me out of the seat….and actually put an a “bow” or “bend” in the front blade of the land plane….forcing it into a rearward “bow”. (This has put a very slight downward bend in the blade also. Although it doesn’t take the land-plane out-of-action…. I’ll have to figure out how to pull that ”bow” back forward/up to straighten the front blade at some point.…just to restore my ”pride” in it.)

My problem is…. the two doz 5” stumps are going to be tough to get out of the ground….and a chain saw would be ruined in the dirt if I tried to cut them out…. I’d like to get the area restored to grass and good enough for a camping area.

To get a stump-bucket into play…. I’d have to have one built for my pin-on FEL… OR… buy a SSQA adaptor and then also a stump bucket. Either way I’m looking at another $1500-$2K to get that dozen stumps outta there…unless someone has a better idea.

One of the ”stumps” can be seen in the foreground of the ”link”… They cannot be simply pulled-up and will bring the tractor to a complete stop if attempted.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/z1kR8bGVkuMfgGnGA
Idea:
Buy a Kubota M62!
It will do that job for ya!