Please help, new tractor owner - changing implements

picocat

Mar 8, 2024
NC
I have a very sturdy and lovely L2501 Kubota, which has been perfect for my needs. It has a bushhog attached since I purchased it -- but we *might* need to swap it out with a no-till drill seeder (that I can rent/borrow from my local FSA)

HOW do I do that?! I am so sorry for being such a greenhorn - and I know I suppose I can use YouTube, but I have found forums often more useful.

I don't have a quick-attachment on the back. Do I need that first?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
The trick here is to have a nice level spot to take implements on/off

Another helpful thing is to NOT have them on the ground per se - the mower, suspend it up on a couple of 4x4's , pavers , anything that allows a small amount of movement off the ground.

Yet another - tractor off and in neutral - no brake, this way you can move the tractor just a wee little bit forward or backwards to get stuff lined up. Rolling the tire a bit is very possible!

Quick attach is super nice - when you buy one that works with all your stuff -some have had issues with some of those quick attachments.

IF someone is on the tractor and backing up - MAKE sure they are crystal clear with your instructions - and even when you think everything is good, one slip of the clutch ( assuming geared) or even a slip of the HST will cause great harm to YOU as you align the 3 points.

Do the top link almost last then the pto will be last thing

Reactions: 2 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas

Reactions: 1 users

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
There is no real set order to this. Like 85 said, set the front on a couple of blocks. I usually disconnect the top link, at the implement, first to get it out of the way. You may have to shorten or lengthen it on some implements to take the load off, but you shouldn't have to on a brush cutter. Then I disconnect the PTO shaft. There is probably a spring loaded pin on the yoke at the tractor. This has to be fully pressed while rocking and pulling the shaft off. Then pull the clips off the pins and slip the lift arms off. If you have turnbuckle stabilizers you may have to adjust them to enable the arms to swing out. If you have rigid stabilizers, pull the pins out.

To attach the new attachment, just do everything in reverse. If using the PTO shaft, make sure it slides on completely until the pin pops out. After you lift the implement, push on it sideways to make sure the stabilizers let it rock a little but not too much.

Once you have the implement attached, you may need to adjust the top and side links to get the attitude you need.

Reactions: 1 user

picocat

Mar 8, 2024
NC
Thank you everyone so much -- I appreciate this!! The videos in concert with the written description is massively helpful.

Alfred_2345

Equipment
L3901, LA525, BH77, SGC1060, RZ60, Box Blade, Z726XKW ZTM, RTV-X900
Jan 5, 2023
Northwest Arkansas
Make sure you check the length of the PTO shaft. You can damage the tractor or implement if it's too long. If it's too short, it can come part and bang around also doing damage. I'm too much of a noob to explain any more.

You don't really need a quick hitch if you don't swap implements often. I can mount 3 pt implement fairly quickly after having done it a couple of times. Biggest trick I learned from Youtube it using a long bar or pipe to nudge the implement around to get it into place so it will slide on the pins.

I would also recommend you watch some videos on PTO safety. PTO entanglement and tractor rollovers are probably the two top causes of injuries.

Reactions: 2 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Great advice above. Only thing I’d add is shut off the engine while detaching/attaching the PTO shaft. Extremely unlikely it would engage and start running while you’re working on it (the more people you have helping the more likely it is to engage) but if it does, it will rip off at least one of your arms or kill you. So just turn the engine off and if there are any numbskulls in sight, put the key in your pocket.

Reactions: 1 users

picocat

Mar 8, 2024
NC
Yes absolutely - it's just me and my partner and he's sensible.

I am trying to figure out if I even need to worry about the no-till drill at this point, it is all coming up grass for the most part.

We can also probably just hand-sow.

airbiscuit

Equipment
New Holland T2310, New Holland TC21D, Kubota l3010 GST, Farmall H
Mar 18, 2021
NW WI
It's also handy tp have a length of pipe to use a s a lever to "horse" the implement around for alignment.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I have a very sturdy and lovely L2501 Kubota, which has been perfect for my needs. It has a bushhog attached since I purchased it -- but we *might* need to swap it out with a no-till drill seeder (that I can rent/borrow from my local FSA)

HOW do I do that?! I am so sorry for being such a greenhorn - and I know I suppose I can use YouTube, but I have found forums often more useful.

Good day.

I am not familiar with your specific model, but in addition to the great advice from others above, i’d recommend check your manuals…along with that, if the cutter has not been removed (how long we talking…couple weeks, months, more than year)…look into the basic PM checks (if you have not already) for both the tractor itself and the implement. (I understand you did not ask for all that, but when I hear ‘it’s been attached since purchase’, I don’t know it’s literal or not, but maybe check items that would be regular PMs (fluid checks, areas to be greased etc on both tractor and implement). Good luck. ☕

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I carry a crow-bar and a 2-lb mechanic’s-hammer in my tool basket…. to “lever” things in-place and to “drive” pins in/out…. or to “encourage” things into-place/ work.

Last edited:

picocat

Mar 8, 2024
NC
Good day.

I am not familiar with your specific model, but in addition to the great advice from others above, i’d recommend check your manuals…along with that, if the cutter has not been removed (how long we talking…couple weeks, months, more than year)…look into the basic PM checks (if you have not already) for both the tractor itself and the implement. (I understand you did not ask for all that, but when I hear ‘it’s been attached since purchase’, I don’t know it’s literal or not, but maybe check items that would be regular PMs (fluid checks, areas to be greased etc on both tractor and implement). Good luck. ☕

It has been 2 years, but the use is extremely light.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
be sure to oil all the 3PH pins and bushings a day before you remove implement. If it's been on long enough, rust will 'weld' the joinery parts real solid. an be a royal PITA to take apart.
you don' t need a quickhitch unless you have to swap implements several times a day

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
It has been 2 years, but the use is extremely light.
It’s not my machine and I understand you did not ask…but when is the last time the U joints on PTO shaft were lubricated? (Maybe they are fine…if it has never been off I wonder it’s been serviced). But understand you did not ask that advice. I’d recommend look into the PMs if you have not already done that. (I am not trying to be disrespectful, just my thought on the how I read the OP). Good luck.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

You will need a very small no till drill for use with your 2501. I would be surprised if any FSA office has anything suitable.