Please Help!Losing power with M8540 after operating for an hour or so

Magee Farms

Equipment
M5700 and M8540
Oct 12, 2014
Jonesboro,La.
I have a M8540 with 2300hrs on it that I bought 4yrs ago(had 250hrs on it when I bought it). Have always serviced(myself) regularly and never had any problems until last 3 weeks. Started losing power every time I have used it for the last 3 weeks. Will crank and run fine for usually an hour or so and then start losing power off an on(like it is starving for fuel)and become more frequent and will eventually die...let it set for a few minutes and will crank back up and run better for awhile...let it set overnight and it run good for an hour or so and start doing the same thing again. I have changed the fuel filter twice,cleaned the water separator twice,drained the tank,changed air filters,blew out vent line,etc...I know I must be missing something...anybody else had this problem or have any suggestion?

ETRon

Equipment
M6040
Aug 4, 2010
Tellico Plains, TN
Sounds like you've covered most all the bases that would come to mind. When you drained the tank did you actually remove it and rinse it out checking for anything that may have been floating around inside? Just a thought. The first thing that came to mind was an hour is about right for a tank drawing down enough to put a vacuum on the system. You state you blew out the vent line so that "should" have covered that though. If it were mine I think I would run it with the cap loose a bit "just to make sure".

Long shot for last thought from me...... when you try to restart do you still hear the very distinct click of the fuel shut-off?

Magee Farms

Equipment
M5700 and M8540
Oct 12, 2014
Jonesboro,La.
I didn't actually remove the tank and wash it out,but will do that next. The fuel that came out when I drained it looked good,but I know there could still be something in there...just doesn't seem reasonable that if it were something in the tank it would repeatedly run perfect for an hour or so and then do it...would seem like it would do it all the time...but I am not a mechanic

Magee Farms

Equipment
M5700 and M8540
Oct 12, 2014
Jonesboro,La.
I took the cap off yesterday when it started acting up,but it didn't seem to make a difference...I have heard a click before,but I didn't know what it was...what's up with that?

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Does it use a shut off solenoid? Would look at isolating that as well. Some activate when key is turned off to shut engine down, some activate to make engine run. The latter type get weak and behave badly when hot.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
I had an 83 Honda Goldwing. When I had about 10,000 miles on it, the engine started to die after running about 30 -40 min. Long story short, it ended up being a relay that malfunctioned when it got hot.

Just an idea. :)

JR4AL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5800
Sep 7, 2014
Jackson, AL, USA
No expert here, But could it be a low oil shut off? once the engine gets good and warmed up and if the oil level is fine it may be telling itself to shut off "thinking" that it is low on oil when it really is not. Just trying to help and get you going again.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Here is a picture of the stop solenoid, that would be the first thing to check.
It's located on the top of the governor housing.

Attachments

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
I once owned a M4900 that acted similar to your tractor. There's a small white screen in the water seperater fuel cut off valve that was plugged. Cleaned screen and then engine ran fine.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Thanks!...what do I need to do to check the solenoid or do I just need to replace it?
Depending if it can be tested, would monitor voltage and ground while it runs til it loses power. Best done with voltmeter and jumpers. Has to be secure enough that test is consistent. If nothing changes when shut down happens,the. Try solenoid. Thats the process i would take.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
A bottle of water will help test it, when it gets hot and dies try cooling the solenoid off with the water and see if that restores use, if it does then the coil is bad. ;)
If it doesn't it still doesn't mean it's good, just that it needs more testing.

duck

Sep 3, 2014
georgia
I have an m8540d with 200 hrs and its been doing exactly what you described. I***8217;ve done everything but the tank cleaning. Today I bush hogged for about 2 hrs with no problem. A couple weeks ago I changed the filter again and ran the tractor for about 30 min before it started acting up again..if I continued running the tractor the time interval before failure shortened. I read you service your tractor as I do mine,.. while cleaning the water separator filter and reinstalling the cartridge and canister, I believe we have fractured the pot metal casting the cheezy thing is made of and have caused the thing to suck air. Like I said, today 2 hours no problems. Maybe its a little early to claim victory but this thing was crashing after 15 minutes with a brand new filter. I simply bypassed the separator.

Again, I think the knuckle dragger in us simply over tightened and cracked something in the housing and the warmer the tractor gets the more the crack opens up and sucks air.

Last edited: