Please ease my mind - Kubota L4802 vs Mahindra 5145 - Kubota $10k more, less functional?

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
The things I have been most dissatified with are the things I bought on price.

Reactions: 2 users

drumminj

Equipment
L4701, Mule 4010
Nov 4, 2021
TN
I won't presume to know what's best for you, but will offer my experience with the L4701 on 28 acres, 6 of it cleared/field and 20+ as woods.

I've never regretted getting the 4701 over the MX5400 (I still have the quotes - the price was identical). Only one time have I wished for more lift capacity, but other than that I'm happy with the smaller footprint. I do like the prospect of the larger front wheels on the MX for bush hogging the pasture (ground's not very smooth), but again I think the smaller footprint wins for my use.

I'm a broken record on this, but have a look at the L4060 LE as well. price should be close to the 4802, the frame/weight will be in between the 4802 and the MX, but you can get it with the same loader as the MX, or one that lifts slightly more than the 4802.

IMO the three machines (L4802, MX5400, L4060LE) are pretty similar in the work they can get done. If you want to run cat2 implements I believe you need to go with the MX.

Reactions: 2 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I won't presume to know what's best for you, but will offer my experience with the L4701 on 28 acres, 6 of it cleared/field and 20+ as woods.

I've never regretted getting the 4701 over the MX5400 (I still have the quotes - the price was identical). Only one time have I wished for more lift capacity, but other than that I'm happy with the smaller footprint. I do like the prospect of the larger front wheels on the MX for bush hogging the pasture (ground's not very smooth), but again I think the smaller footprint wins for my use.

I'm a broken record on this, but have a look at the L4060 LE as well. price should be close to the 4802, the frame/weight will be in between the 4802 and the MX, but you can get it with the same loader as the MX, or one that lifts slightly more than the 4802.

IMO the three machines (L4802, MX5400, L4060LE) are pretty similar in the work they can get done. If you want to run cat2 implements I believe you need to go with the MX.
Engine and power train management on a Grand L is also a lot more sophisticated.

Dan

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Engine and power train management on a Grand L is also a lot more sophisticated.

Dan
Dan, you speak of a smaller footprint of the L4701 compared to the MX line. I made that comparison before buying and determined the MX is only a few inches larger in width.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Well staying on topic I dont think there is any danger Mahindra is goimg to fold up and disappear. Just the opposite.

Dan
Not sure if you watched the video. Neil didn’t say which smaller tractor vendor may go away, but laid the ground work as to why it’s likely. He touches on the support system and rough number of units year and longer term parts availability. The title he put on the video seems to suggest there’s a definitive prediction made, although there is none.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Well staying on topic I dont think there is any danger Mahindra is goimg to fold up and disappear. Just the opposite.

Dan
Obviously not because Mahindra is a world brand. But what I think we’ll see is some brands may leave the U.S. market if they cannot support their machines with parts and services.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Dan, you speak of a smaller footprint of the L4701 compared to the MX line. I made that comparison before buying and determined the MX is only a few inches larger in width.
I did? If I did I will claim I was dupped by Kubota.

My personal opinion is the LX and MX series are both marketing gimmicks aimed at upselling prospective sellers.

Meanwhile standard Ls are stripped down machines designed for cheapskates like me :D

Dan

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Not sure if you watched the video. Neil didn’t say which smaller tractor vendor may go away, but laid the ground work as to why it’s likely. He touches on the support system and rough number of units year and longer term parts availability. The title he put on the video seems to suggest there’s a definitive prediction made, although there is none.
I watched it. I would call it a classic example of the Fear Uncertainty, and Doubt (FUD) school of marketing.

Dan

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I watched it. I would call it a classic example of the Fear Uncertainty, and Doubt (FUD) school of marketing.

Dan
Just a question: Do you think the Rural King tractor line will thrive, or survive?

I am not asking about manufacturer TYM, but am asking about "Rural King" tractors.
What ever happened to "Cabella's" tractors?
Who supports them now?
"Montana" tractors?
Who supports them now?

ajschnitzelbank

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, BH92, Frost Bite grapple, Logosol M8 mill, Stihl MS661
Aug 24, 2021
Rensselaer County NY
I have an L4701. I would have bought the MX5400 mostly for the greater loader capacity, but when I bought there was 0% on the L and not the MX. Between the higher price and interest rate, it was a bridge too far for me.

I do really like the 4701. Guess it’s a tough choice between the two, that’s like so many other things when you’re shopping: is the next step up worth the money?

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Thanks to everyone’s feedback and more research I’ve backed off the Mahindra for reliability/serviceability reasons, so now the decision is between the new L4802 and the MX5400.

While I agree with the sentiment about the L4802 being at the top end of the range and the MX5400 being on the bottom end of the range, I don’t actually see much differences in the specs I’ve been able to locate, aside from the obvious HP. I am content with 40-45hp given my experience with my dad’s 40hp tractor with similar land characteristics and use cases, and how his tractor handled them.

MX5400 vs L4802
  • Hydro Pump: 9.5gal vs 7.8gal
  • Weight: 3734lb vs 3549lb
  • 3pt Lift: 2310lb vs 2320lb
  • FEL Lift Height: 111” vs 105”
  • FEL Lift Capacity: they are measured differently and I don’t know enough to compare accurately:
    • MX5400 lift cap @ pin: 2275lb
    • MX5400 lift cap 500mm forward: 1691
    • L4802 lift cap @pin max height: 1675lb
    • L4802 lift cap @ pin @ 1.5m: 2147lb
With most of the other specs being similar are the above differences worth the additional $4,500?
If you want/need the higher FEL capacity of the MX, yes. That’s the most glaring difference.

If you already have CAT 2 implements causing the CAT 2 three point to be an important feature, yes.

Otherwise, no.

Having put a few hundred hours on a L4701 and test driven a MX5400 for a bit at my local dealer due to boredom whilst they were finishing up rear remote install on my L which I thought was ready for pickup due to a miscommunication, the MX5400 felt like a slightly larger, but otherwise identical, twin to my L. I don’t think you’d be disappointed with either.

So far as loader capacity, here’s some more detail on the LA765 that may give you a better feel for what it really will and won’t do. Full height at the pin rating may be OK for comparison but it would be pretty rare to hook a load at the pin and raise it to full height so some more info might help. I would think the dealer should be able to provide similar specs on the MX loader if you can’t find the OM for the loader online.
IMG_1599.jpeg

So far as other brands, personally I think there are other brands that are quality and worthy of consideration. Dealer support and parts availability is a big deal if you are relying on the machine to either make money or perform certain jobs at certain times such that unpredictably lengthy downtime is unacceptable. Part of that is strength of manufacturer supply chain, part is local dealer. You need both unless it’s strictly a toy and you don’t care much about downtime. Even if you’re not making money with it, if it’s your method for removing snow from your 1/2 mile driveway, it dang well better be running when it snows.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I don't own a MX or L4701, but no doubt I would have bought the MX for the same price. Wow.

Fwiw, I'm still happy with my baby tractor L2501.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Just a question: Do you think the Rural King tractor line will thrive, or survive?

I am not asking about manufacturer TYM, but am asking about "Rural King" tractors.
What ever happened to "Cabella's" tractors?
Who supports them now?
"Montana" tractors?
Who supports them now?
I know nothingvabout RK but I doubt they will stay commited to those machines. About 20 years ago TSC tried it and it only lasted a few years. IIRC they were Jinma and some parts for them are still available.

I had to look Montanas history up. They were LG (now LS) imports and Montana went under when LS decided to enter the US market under their own name and pulled the supply rug out from under J B Hunt. Montana could not find a new OEM but still supplies service parts.

Heres one for you. Who supplies parts for Ford tractors? Lets see - they sold out to Fiat in 1990. Fiat also bought Case and New Holland so now we have CNH. How is parts availability on those 40 year old machines? About the same as 40 year old Kubotas - pretty damn spotty.

Dan

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I did? If I did I will claim I was dupped by Kubota.

My personal opinion is the LX and MX series are both marketing gimmicks aimed at upselling prospective sellers.

Meanwhile standard Ls are stripped down machines designed for cheapskates like me :D

Dan
I don’t know anything about the LX, but the MX is a base M model, not an upsell. It is sold as the economy utility series model and is kind of a cross over between the largest L series and the smallest M Series. It does have a cat 2 3ph.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
If you want/need the higher FEL capacity of the MX, yes. That’s the most glaring difference.

If you already have CAT 2 implements causing the CAT 2 three point to be an important feature, yes.

Otherwise, no.

Having put a few hundred hours on a L4701 and test driven a MX5400 for a bit at my local dealer due to boredom whilst they were finishing up rear remote install on my L which I thought was ready for pickup due to a miscommunication, the MX5400 felt like a slightly larger, but otherwise identical, twin to my L. I don’t think you’d be disappointed with either.

So far as loader capacity, here’s some more detail on the LA765 that may give you a better feel for what it really will and won’t do. Full height at the pin rating may be OK for comparison but it would be pretty rare to hook a load at the pin and raise it to full height so some more info might help. I would think the dealer should be able to provide similar specs on the MX loader if you can’t find the OM for the loader online.
View attachment 119767
So far as other brands, personally I think there are other brands that are quality and worthy of consideration. Dealer support and parts availability is a big deal if you are relying on the machine to either make money or perform certain jobs at certain times such that unpredictably lengthy downtime is unacceptable. Part of that is strength of manufacturer supply chain, part is local dealer. You need both unless it’s strictly a toy and you don’t care much about downtime. Even if you’re not making money with it, if it’s your method for removing snow from your 1/2 mile driveway, it dang well better be running when it snows.
When I bought my MX there was only $1200 difference in price between the L. And the MX had the telescoping lift arms that make attaching those heavy cat 2 (or cat 1) implements a breeze.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I don’t know anything about the LX, but the MX is a base M model, not an upsell. It is sold as the economy utility series model and is kind of a cross over between the largest L series and the smallest M Series. It does have a cat 2 3ph.
I'm very pleased with the MX6000 and would buy it again, but as I said in an earlier post, it's much closer to an L than an M. I live on a hilly property, and with wheel weights, liquid ballast, a front snow blade and rear blower I want as much hp as I can get.

Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
The LX began life 3 years ago as purely rebadged B series. I was actiively shopping and saw them side by side on the lot. Clearly a marketing ploy that even the salesman acknowledged.

So where did the MX series come from? Not on my radar at the time so I did not look at them. Just lookimg at specs it looks very much like an upsell of the Grand L class machines.

JMO

Dan

Cranblue

Feb 23, 2019
Lincolnton NC

Totally agree as I own L4701 my self !! I purchased a quick hitch that is Cat2