Plastic tanks

leok3

Equipment
B5100E w/k-348-7 mower
Jul 25, 2010
Robert, LA
I have a B5100E with a plastic tank that has a brown discoloration to it so it is difficult to tell the fuel level. Is there a way to clean this?

Leo

gktilton

Equipment
79 B7100 w/ FEL, Deere 261 Finish Mwr, Woods M4 Bush Hg, Potato Plow, Cultivator
May 5, 2010
Hooksett, NH
I have the same issue on my B7100 that I am currently paint. Considering painting it blue so it will look better if I can't clean it.

Any suggestions?

300zx

Equipment
1979 B7100D, 2009 ZG20, 1991 B2150, 1990 B6200
Dec 1, 2010
Forest, VA
I am in the same boat with my B7100. I have read a few articles on different applications of these tanks, like motor cycles and other small engines. All have tried to clear them up with no success that I have found. I am in the process of adding a fuel level gauge to mine so I will know the fuel level with out having to lift the hood and removing the cap. I think when I paint the chassis, I will paint the tank also. If anybody paints theirs, let me know how it goes.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
I don't know anything about cleaning or painting the plastic tanks. However I can tell you about how I solved the problem of not being able to tell how much fuel was in my B7100. I purchases a short length of clear plastic fuel line and a couple of brass T fittings. I cut one T into the bottom fuel line out of the tank and cut the other into the return line on the top of the tank. I ran the clear line from the bottom T up the side of the tank to the top T. I now have an easy way to see how much fuel is in the tank.

Last edited:

Swamper

Equipment
B7200HSTD RC60-72H
Nov 24, 2010
Punxsutawney, PA. USA
I don't know anything about cleaning or painting the plastic tanks. However I can tell you about how I solved the problem of not being able to tell how much fuel was in my B7100. I purchases a short length of clear plastic fuel line and a couple of brass T fittings. I cut one T into the bottom fuel line out of the tank and cut the other into the return line on the top of the tank. I ran the clear line from the bottom T up the side of the tank to the top T. I now have an easy way to see how much fuel is in the tank.
Very clever, no cutting into the tank. Why didn't I think of that?

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I guess I'm just to lazy and cheap. I've always just cracked open the top and looked to see how much is in the tank. I get about 10 hours of run time on a single 5 gallon tank of fuel!

gktilton

Equipment
79 B7100 w/ FEL, Deere 261 Finish Mwr, Woods M4 Bush Hg, Potato Plow, Cultivator
May 5, 2010
Hooksett, NH
I don't care about the fuel level, I just fill it at the end of a days work and I know I will be fine all the next time. Mine is just an eyesore and I am getting the rest of it looking pretty good. I figured I'd clean it if I can, if I can't it will get 3 coats of blue and be done.

gktilton

Equipment
May 5, 2010
Hooksett, NH
No seeing any thoughts on cleaning it up, so I will be removing mine this evening and getting it ready for a coat of paint. Bottom 2/3 shows with hood closed, any votes on color, I am thinking blue, but I have plenty of Orange as well. Opinions?

stuart

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7001 with loader & tiller, 3 point hitch and 4' rear blade
Aug 9, 2009
Aldergrove, BC, Canada
I would go with the blue. Mine is not quite ready for painting - I can still see the fuel level most of the time. Of course, I still have trouble remembering to look.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
How well does paint stick on plastic? I thought it just peels right off after a short time! Mybe look around on Google and see if you can find some sort of metal tank to stick on there.

300zx

Equipment
1979 B7100D, 2009 ZG20, 1991 B2150, 1990 B6200
Dec 1, 2010
Forest, VA
How well does paint stick on plastic? I thought it just peels right off after a short time! Mybe look around on Google and see if you can find some sort of metal tank to stick on there.
There is a flexible paint (or some people call it dye) for vinyl dashes and bumper that might work. It must be an additive because I know Maco mixes their own Dupont paint for vinyl paint. They did a center console for my 86 Suburban and it worked out great. No peeling after 5 years, but I don't carry any diesel fuel in it! It may be worth asking them what it would be worth to paint a tank.

For anyone interested in trying to clean the tank, I don't think there is a solution. When I cut a hole in the top of my tank to add a fuel level sensor, it was yellowed all of the way through. The wall thickness was about 1/4". Here's some pictures:

gktilton

Equipment
May 5, 2010
Hooksett, NH
I was going to use a Krylon Fusion base coat, made to stick to plastic, and then add a plastic flex to the Kubota Blue to keep it from getting too brittle to accomodate the movement.

I have now decided that I am just going to leave it alone. My tractor is looking pretty and shiny now, but it will spend the rest of its time with me covered with Dirt and Compost. I don't think anyone will notice the yellowed tank.