Plastic in the fuel tank

IronRyan

Equipment
Kubota 3560
Apr 1, 2023
Tennessee
So I think I just made a very timing consuming to fix oops. While refueling my tractor with a 5 gallon can, a plastic piece snapped off, had something to do with the air intake breather on the new type plastic cans, anyways it fell off and as my luck would have it, it fell into the tank. I have an idea, I checked the stopper cap for the end of the spout, it’s made of the same material, it floats in water. So my idea is to park the tractor on an incline, then fill the tank all the way up and hoping that the plastic piece will float up to the top where I can reach it. Otherwise I guess I’ll be taking my tank off this week. Anybody else have any suggestions?
IMG_2859.jpeg
IMG_2860.jpeg

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
A couple suggestions: 1) Get some mechanical fingers so you can fish/grab the plastic piece out 2) Buy a decent spout without all the safety crap for your fuel can instead of that piece of crap that came on the container.

Reactions: 1 users

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
The good thing is that the foreign object is much too big to block the flow of fuel from the tank to the engine. I would try to fish it out with a grabber thingy, but if that's unsuccessful, I'd leave it and go about my business until it becomes a problem.

Reactions: 5 users

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
Klein Borescope for an Android phone or something similar if you have an iPhone (i as in evIl). The Klein scope is waterproof, illuminated, has a 10 foot cable and costs about $40. You can view live, take photos and record video. You will still have to use something to recover the plastic (like mechanical fingers) once located. Although I do not know if the Klein Borescope is explosion proof (it should be), your tank full of diesel should not pose any risk.

Additionally, the borescope is extremely handy for lots of everyday tasks.

Reactions: 1 user

IronRyan

Equipment
Kubota 3560
Apr 1, 2023
Tennessee
A couple suggestions: 1) Get some mechanical fingers so you can fish/grab the plastic piece out 2) Buy a decent spout without all the safety crap for your fuel can instead of that piece of crap that came on the container.
Definitely buying a new fuel can!

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
Would be nice if Kubota would put removable screens in the tanks to keep things out of the fuel tank. The John Deere skidder I ran for 2 1/2 years had one.

Reactions: 2 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I had to remove/clean/reinstall the tank on my BX23S 4 years/800+ hrs ago as a 'sliver' of black plastic plugged the exit spigot....Kubota says 3 hour job, but I did it myself. Added a $store 'sink strainer' to the fuel in neck...ZERO problems since. some guys use a 'cold coffee press mason jar filter but those were $40 up here,compared to $2.50 at the $store.......
I agress it SHOULD be standard equipment on ALL vehicles......

Be SURE to confirm you have 100% of the plastic OUT of the tank......

Reactions: 2 users

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Would be nice if Kubota would put removable screens in the tanks to keep things out of the fuel tank. The John Deere skidder I ran for 2 1/2 years had one.
They used to.
My B7100 still has the original.

Unknown.jpeg

fueltank.jpg
fuel tnklis.jpg

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
My L48 TLB has a fuel screen.
Don't know if it came from factory that way though.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Trash any and all 'Safety Spouts' that come on the fuel cans today. Search for
EZ-POUR B00YP3YTXM Gas Can Replacement Spout

On Amazon and replace with these.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
The good thing is that the foreign object is much too big to block the flow of fuel from the tank to the engine. I would try to fish it out with a grabber thingy, but if that's unsuccessful, I'd leave it and go about my business until it becomes a problem.
+1

I personally don't see the point in doing anything. I highly doubt it will cause any problems.

Let the next owner worry about it in 25 years.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
MCM/ RWS... your assumption is it's only ONE big piece.....
In my case the 'sliver of black' was small,long and eventually slid in and plugged the exit spigot.
Due to the 3 chambered tank design, tank had to be removed to extractor the plastic.
According to Mr. Murphy....if you don't remove it now...sooner or later, probably when you HAVE to use the tractor for something really,really important, is when it WILL lodged and take the tractor out of service.costing you both time and money.

IronRyan

Equipment
Kubota 3560
Apr 1, 2023
Tennessee
MCM/ RWS... your assumption is it's only ONE big piece.....
In my case the 'sliver of black' was small,long and eventually slid in and plugged the exit spigot.
Due to the 3 chambered tank design, tank had to be removed to extractor the plastic.
According to Mr. Murphy....if you don't remove it now...sooner or later, probably when you HAVE to use the tractor for something really,really important, is when it WILL lodged and take the tractor out of service.costing you both time and money.
I tend to agree with you. Its a brand new 35,000 dollar machine. I ordered a camera light endoscope that was not too expensive and will be here tomorrow. I can wait a couple days for piece of mind.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I'll bet you $1 it's still in one piece. Leave it. You will eventually stop thinking about it. I did that with a drain plug magnet once. Took me a minute to figure out what it was when I tore off the oil pan 100k later.
Go with the race fuel style jugs. No feral government gadgets to keep you safe. Fast flow. Don't dent.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
Anybody else have any suggestions?
Leave it in there and dont worry. It will not harm ANYTHING as long as the tractor exists. The multiple fuel-filters will prevent any engine-damage.

You may be surprised what is found in old diesel tanks after many years of use.

Also consider getting an aftermarket fuel-can schnozzle. They work MUCH better than those silly things.

Cathy Liebchen

Equipment
KUBOTA L3901, MX5800, MULE PRO FX, MULE PRO FXT
So I think I just made a very timing consuming to fix oops. While refueling my tractor with a 5 gallon can, a plastic piece snapped off, had something to do with the air intake breather on the new type plastic cans, anyways it fell off and as my luck would have it, it fell into the tank. I have an idea, I checked the stopper cap for the end of the spout, it’s made of the same material, it floats in water. So my idea is to park the tractor on an incline, then fill the tank all the way up and hoping that the plastic piece will float up to the top where I can reach it. Otherwise I guess I’ll be taking my tank off this week. Anybody else have any suggestions? View attachment 105872 View attachment 105873
We always use a Mr Funnel to keep water and stuff out of the tank