Planter suited to run on an L3901

mrmurph1965

Equipment
L3901HST, LA525 Loader,
Oct 5, 2021
NWMissouri
I am looking for a planter for food plots to use with my L3901. Does anyone here have any recommendations? Specifically looking for a planter, not a seeder. Planting corn, soybeans, and similarly sized seeds.

Thanks!

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Buy an old 4 or 6 row planter, cut it down and make one that suits your needs. Use the remaining parts and build 1 or 2 more and sell them.

Reactions: 3 users

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
You tuber "Tractor Tim with Tim" shows a couple of videos him with him and small planters. The problem is the cost for a very limited tool.

Unless you are doing some large areas something like this will do a lot of gardening. https://www.lehmans.com/product/versatile-garden-seeder/[/MEDIA]

Last edited:

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Here's my circa 1930s Cockshutt "BlackHawk" planter. It was pulled out of a shelterbelt 23 yrs ago and put back into service after who knows how long a sleep in the woods. And the price was right, at the time it was free. Other than the kids had to supply the previous owner with sweetcorn each season.

It's planted between 2-3 acres of sweetcorn every year for the last 23 years. It had one set of seed plates in it (large) for field corn. The plates worked well for one of the varieties the kids grew. For the other variety that had a smaller kernal, I made a set of plates out of some HDPE plastic. that was pretty easy to do. I tried to find plates for this old seeder but they're next to impossible to find, especially in sets of 4. The originals were cast iron so I'm sure they were broken over time.

Some of the popular brand older seeders seem to be worth their weight in gold because of everone wanting to cut them up and make small food plot seeders out of them. Plus, seed plates for them are abundant.

With a little elbow grease these old timers can be put to use again without much trouble. and there's nothing complicated about fabricating some seed plates to match the large type seed your looking to plant.....corn, beans, peas, etc. If I was to do it over again, I'd make them out of something easier.....such as plywood, cheap plastic, etc. For the small amount of use they get they don't need to be extra fancy or heavy duty.' Here's some thumbnail pics to enlarge:

Ready for Action.JPG Planting Corn.jpg DSC00366.jpg

:ROFLMAO:Look at those nice straight rows!! You'd think I had GPS steering in one eyball !!

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

mrmurph1965

Equipment
L3901HST, LA525 Loader,
Oct 5, 2021
NWMissouri
You tuber "Tractor Tim with Tim" shows a couple of videos him with him and small planters. The problem is the cost for a very limited tool.

Unless you are doing some large areas something like this will do a lot of gardening. https://www.lehmans.com/product/versatile-garden-seeder/[/MEDIA]
Yeah, those are cost prohibitive. I'm looking at something like this. I need to do about 6 acres.
1673535391709.png

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I'm interested in a planter too. Buying an old one is a possibility, or renting if I can find such a unit. I work with an ex John Deere engineer and he was telling me how to convert an old planter which are often for sale in Illinois it seems, but harder to find in Montana.

mrmurph1965

Equipment
L3901HST, LA525 Loader,
Oct 5, 2021
NWMissouri
I'm interested in a planter too. Buying an old one is a possibility, or renting if I can find such a unit. I work with an ex John Deere engineer and he was telling me how to convert an old planter which are often for sale in Illinois it seems, but harder to find in Montana.
The old, used planters are pretty rare and expensive in my area.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I know this is to far away but they are out there.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Here's a link that will search "All of Craigslist": All of Craigslist (searchcraigslist.org)

Searching "Corn Planter", and other terms will bring you some results from wherever their location happens to be. You'd think there'd be a time something that would turn up within a days driving distance from you, mrmurph.

I really screwed up when I was at a local farm auction 25 years ago, now. Up for auction was an exceptionally nice John Deere 4 row ground driven planter, row markers intact, & complete with its own "check wire" system. It had always been stored shedded and there wasn't a spec of rust or corrosion to be found on it. Nobody bid on it until someone finally offered $100 for it and the auctioneer said "Sold" immediately. Dang!! I could've been planting corn in style for the last 23 years.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Yeah, those are cost prohibitive. I'm looking at something like this. I need to do about 6 acres.
View attachment 93874
I would be concerned about the overall weight of this planter. Unless you're able to really work the ground up well to a fair depth, you might wind up with a lot of seed just laying on top of the ground. In a small rototilled garden setting it might work great. Depending on how you're planning to work up and prep your seedbed on your six acres....you might be disappointed. You might wind up trying to add as much weight as possible to its framework. Weight of the planter is your friend during seeding.

mrmurph1965

Equipment
L3901HST, LA525 Loader,
Oct 5, 2021
NWMissouri
I would be concerned about the overall weight of this planter. Unless you're able to really work the ground up well to a fair depth, you might wind up with a lot of seed just laying on top of the ground. In a small rototilled garden setting it might work great. Depending on how you're planning to work up and prep your seedbed on your six acres....you might be disappointed. You might wind up trying to add as much weight as possible to its framework. Weight of the planter is your friend during seeding.
It'll all be tilled.

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
Years back around here when guys were getting bigger planters you could buy the old JD 7000 ground drive four row planters pull type and three point mounts for five hundred or less. I would hate to think how many I cut down and made two row planters for planting wet spots and sweet corn and then later on for the hunter for food plots. Put a little no till equipment on them and they will go out and plant in sod. Now days with guys building big soybean planters. The price of older planters have went up a bunch. You could get three to five grand in a notill two row planter now days building one.

Reactions: 1 users