Piston Removal

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
What's the best way to remove the 3 point piston to replace the O ring and backup ring on my L175.
I removed the cylinder head by raising the arms, but the piston didn't come up high enough to get to the rings.

CJN8

Equipment
B2650HSD, LA534 FEL, Gearmore Box Blade, Bush Hog, Cimmeron Rake
Nov 16, 2013
San Diego, CA
I just did the same service on my B7200. I used a powerful magnet. It pulled right out. Make sure to polish out any fine scratches in the cylinder before you reassemble. Good luck.

Nate

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
Okay, the magnet trick did not work, piston is stuck, finally ended up getting a pair of vise grips on the sleeve and pulling it out, sleeve and piston. This is what I found.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418151623.905325.jpg
Ran to town, got the cylinder honed out. Put it all back together, but all it wants to do is lift even when I push the lever that should make it go down. I've taken it apart several times and's to try to see where the up-and-down lever it should be during assembly, but without success. The manual is not very clear on reassembly instructions.I know now it's a question of positioning, but what is the position that everything needs to be in on reassembly?

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I would say that's your leak down problem! ;)

I actually love to see things that are obviously broken, beat's the crud out of wondering... { "Did I really find what was wrong!" }

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
What was the reassembly issue that had you stumped?
2 things.

First was I think I was tripping the up lever when lifting the arms up so the control valve was thinking I'm up, time to quit. Then I put the piston in and left it in the position it would see when arms were down...........in other words it was out of time.

Second.
I'm used to having the lift arms on my 640 Ford slowly floating down without a load on them, so I was expecting the same with the Kubota. Realized I finally had the "timing" right, but still couldn't push the arms down even with the motor not running. Said I give up, put the ballast box back on...........shaazam, just like brand new. Lifted the box up, shut the motor off, let it set for 4 hours with the lever in neutral and it didn't lower a bit.

Nothing like the thrill of victory.

Last edited: