Piranha toothbar questions

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I have the original. Like it. Significant improvement cutting into clay and cutting roots v the original smooth edge.

So far as it being sharp and running into it, the original smooth edge was pretty sharp as well. Neither are shin friendly.

Reactions: 1 users

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
I have the original and it is awesome really allows a big bite out of the old gravel pile. I have had to take it off while working in the shed(the teeth will penetrate wood).

Reactions: 1 user

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I also like the PTB because it easily cuts roots that the original bucket edge would not touch.

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
Hum, two holes through the soft steel on the side of the bucket, or many holes through the hardened, factory cutting edge. i prefer the original mount. A side benefit is the bolts hold my mulch forks as well.

Attachments

Reactions: 2 users

OrangeGee

Equipment
L2502, LA526 loader, Titan stump bucket
Jul 8, 2023
Silver Spring MD
Hum, two holes through the soft steel on the side of the bucket, or many holes through the hardened, factory cutting edge. i prefer the original mount. A side benefit is the bolts hold my mulch forks as well.
Yeah the 2 is simpler. I thought the holes were already present in the bucket edge? You have a bad ass setup.

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
Yeah the 2 is simpler. I thought the holes were already present in the bucket edge? You have a bad ass setup.
Maybe there are holes in some factory buckets, mine had none. :unsure:

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
I have the std and like most above had no reason to remove it - I love it and you learn quickly about hitting the edge and then never, ever do it again. That and most of my property is mixed rock which took away the razor-like edge 😬

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
When it was needed, I had the standard Piranha bar on the bucket.. I got it mainly to be ware sacrificial when moving snow.. At one time I moved a LOT of snow.. I copied the mounting design for a set of DIY debris forks... This all worked well..

I do like the tooth design of the new model, but would want it with the standard bar mounting system..

OrangeGee

Equipment
Jul 8, 2023
Silver Spring MD
When it was needed, I had the standard Piranha bar on the bucket.. I got it mainly to be ware sacrificial when moving snow.. At one time I moved a LOT of snow.. I copied the mounting design for a set of DIY debris forks... This all worked well..

I do like the tooth design of the new model, but would want it with the standard bar mounting system..
Interesting, and cool on the DIY setup. My decision for a TB was both sacrificial and functional. I'm probably leaning towards giving the pro bar a shot. It's made out of a much harder metal (hopefully doesn't crack under load). It's definitely pricier than std but the bolt holes should already exist and I can flip it around once a year in the winter if I ever need to shovel snow. One of my medium-term projects will be to strip sod and re-build a walkway from house to patio, so the PTBs seem to excel in slicing through sod. I've decided the golden rule for walkway path widths is exactly 66",,,

I'll update here when I decide.

Downeaster

Equipment
Kubota BX1880, loader, mower deck, and ballast
Oct 18, 2022
Waterford, Maine
I have the regular Piranha bar and regularly remove it.. i have it one when I want to do some serious work and take it off when I want to do some yard work and the Piranha would not do as good a job. EX lawn.
No reason at all for the newer one IMO. Takes 2 min to put on or take off.

Reactions: 1 users

OrangeGee

Equipment
Jul 8, 2023
Silver Spring MD
I have the regular Piranha bar and regularly remove it.. i have it one when I want to do some serious work and take it off when I want to do some yard work and the Piranha would not do as good a job. EX lawn.
No reason at all for the newer one IMO. Takes 2 min to put on or take off.
Yeah that's my worry about the pro, taking it off will definitely be a pain lol, if it's a regular thing. What kind of work are you doing without it, like for the lawn? Are you picking up stuff and you don't want the bucket to dig in? Scooping mulch? Some people seem to seldom take it off for most things. Do you have bucket protection when you're not using the tooth bar?

Downeaster

Equipment
Oct 18, 2022
Waterford, Maine
Yeah that's my worry about the pro, taking it off will definitely be a pain lol, if it's a regular thing. What kind of work are you doing without it, like for the lawn? Are you picking up stuff and you don't want the bucket to dig in? Scooping mulch? Some people seem to seldom take it off for most things. Do you have bucket protection when you're not using the tooth bar?
I am not using bucket protection when I am doing yard work. Like lying new loam and back dragging it. With the toothbar it doesn't do as good a job. Other than that I want the toothbar for digging up old stumps and small trees on my property. i also have a few piles of rocks that are over the years managed to get themselves semi buried. They need to come up, and without the Piranha it is far harder. A straight across bar doesn't dig near as good. The way the Piranha bar is set up, it is very easy to slide it on and off, don't worry about that, you will love it. The money it cost is worth every penny. We all say the Piranha is the best so why temp yourself with something else.

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
FWIW I was torn which one of these to order. I have a BX23S that I use for my yard; primarily for excavating. I wanted a toothed edge because the straight edge doesn't dig well enough for me with the lack of power/weight behind it.

Initially I was going to go with the Pro because I tend to lean towards stronger/heavier duty tools.
But the shorter lead time (I have some projects I want to get going on) as well as the quicker removal and cheaper price made me choose the regular bar.
I have a factory cutting edge on my bucket, and one of the things I intend to use it for is if I have to move large piles of wet snow (I have a snow blower for clearing) on my driveway. The toothed bar would be no good for this. With the regular Piranha bar it's just 2 bolts and I'm ready to go. I have impacts and multiple tools so the 7 bolts wouldn't be a big deal. Still quicker and less hassle to remove 2 bolts on the side and slide the bar off and I'm ready. No having to hold the bar up while I try to line up bolt holes. Less chance of damaged bolt threads/nuts. And no having to figure where I'll store the factory straight edge.

I'm excited to get it in and test it out!

Downeaster

Equipment
Oct 18, 2022
Waterford, Maine
You won't regret getting the Pirahna tooth bar. When you drill out the sides of your bucket you will have a paper template to use. Mark the middle of the template, so you have a little leeway for installing the bolts. The will tighten up nicely. Just hang your staight edge if you can't find some place to lay it. When you do the install you will quickly see the bar pretty much lines itself up, and there isn't a lot of holding.. I'm 81 and if I can do it, you should be able to.

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
FWIW I was torn which one of these to order. I have a BX23S that I use for my yard; primarily for excavating. I wanted a toothed edge because the straight edge doesn't dig well enough for me with the lack of power/weight behind it.

Initially I was going to go with the Pro because I tend to lean towards stronger/heavier duty tools.
But the shorter lead time (I have some projects I want to get going on) as well as the quicker removal and cheaper price made me choose the regular bar.
I have a factory cutting edge on my bucket, and one of the things I intend to use it for is if I have to move large piles of wet snow (I have a snow blower for clearing) on my driveway. The toothed bar would be no good for this. With the regular Piranha bar it's just 2 bolts and I'm ready to go. I have impacts and multiple tools so the 7 bolts wouldn't be a big deal. Still quicker and less hassle to remove 2 bolts on the side and slide the bar off and I'm ready. No having to hold the bar up while I try to line up bolt holes. Less chance of damaged bolt threads/nuts. And no having to figure where I'll store the factory straight edge.

You will not be disappointed. With a Piranha bar on the M59 have to worry about digging too deep.

OrangeGee

Equipment
Jul 8, 2023
Silver Spring MD

Thanks for this. I didn't get a factory cutting edge with my L (expecting delivery this coming Monday!), cause I thought I could put that $$$ towards other aftermarket solutions that might be better.

So I'll either get a factory cutting edge + Piranha regular. Or just get the Piranha pro. It'll be about the same cost in the end.