Pin won't take grease

Joe Kelly

Equipment
L5030
Sep 22, 2009
White Mountains, NH
Hi Folks!

I have an LA853 FEL on my L5030 and have had trouble getting the upper bucket cylinder pin to take grease. Now having reinstalled the FEL after a winter off, that pin will not take grease, period.

The pin is 1" plus diameter and retained with a small (5/16"?) bolt and elastic stop nut.

My question is can I drive out the pivot pin from either direction once I remove the small retaining bolt? And is driving it with a punch and hammer OK, as opposed to rigging up a jacking arrangement?

JoeK

BotaDriver

Equipment
L3800dt
May 15, 2013
North GA
Just make sure the pin is unloaded and not under pressure. Removing the small bolt should allow it to just slip out. It shouldn't need much force to remove it, as long as there isn't pressure on it. Depending on which one it is, be prepared for a cylinder to come lose. Might slip it out with a screw driver, leaving the screw driver in place to retain position/hold up anything.

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
Hi Folks!

I have an LA853 FEL on my L5030 and have had trouble getting the upper bucket cylinder pin to take grease. Now having reinstalled the FEL after a winter off, that pin will not take grease, period.

The pin is 1" plus diameter and retained with a small (5/16"?) bolt and elastic stop nut.

My question is can I drive out the pivot pin from either direction once I remove the small retaining bolt? And is driving it with a punch and hammer OK, as opposed to rigging up a jacking arrangement?

JoeK
Hi Joe before you go to the trouble of removing the pin you could try to remove the grease fitting and dig out the dried up grease (a small drill bit works pretty good for that). If you have to remove the pin try using a soft metal pin approximately the same size and a large hammer. The more times you hit the pin you increase the chances of mushrooming it, don't use a air hammer. Sometimes a little heat helps but you'll burn the paint. Good luck Barry

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Like already mentioned I would try to remove the grease fitting and clean out the old grease before I removed the pin itself. Could be the fitting itself is the problem and not the pin anyway.

Joe Kelly

Equipment
L5030
Sep 22, 2009
White Mountains, NH
Thank you, guys!

Great advice about try the simple step first; I never thought of that! Guess it's my pessimistic nature! I will pull the grease fitting and see if it's the blockage before proceeding to pull the pin!

Joe K