Piece of old oil filter gasket inside motor!

Jason G

Equipment
2014 B2650 and 1981 T1400 (Mainly my back)
Sep 19, 2014
Monticello Fl
Great. Finished 50 hour service. Started her up and let it idle. Noticed new oil filter leaking. Tightened more. Still leaking. Removed and noticed old gasket still in there. Pulled out gasket and a piece about a 1" long, 1/8" wide is missing. Looked around but saw nothing. My paranoia tells me it got sucked into motor. How bad is this scenario? Will another new oil change help?

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Never experienced this, but why not drain the oil again and see if it shows up. Cheap insurance. It might even be now in the new filter so change that also.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Is the piece of gasket still attached to the old filter?

Jason G

Equipment
Sep 19, 2014
Monticello Fl
No. Gasket separated from old filter when I removed it. I didnt notice gasket was stuck to crankcase till I completed oil change, engine got warm, and started leaking. I'm just worried about piece (if its even in there) will get into cylinders/head/somewhere it can do harm.

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
No. Gasket separated from old filter when I removed it. I didnt notice gasket was stuck to crankcase till I completed oil change, engine got warm, and started leaking. I'm just worried about piece (if its even in there) will get into cylinders/head/somewhere it can do harm.
The piece would have to be small enough to get through the screen on the engines oil pump to do that . Unlikely it'll do any harm . It will probably just lay in the bottom of the oil pan . But for piece of mind you may want to pull the oil pan just to make sure . I know if it were me every time I used the tractor I would be wondering . If it were an old tractor I myself wouldn't worry about it . But new,, think I'd be pulling that oil pan . Be nice if you could look in there with on those cameras that are small enough to go down the dip stick tube .

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Most likely the piece fell out when you pulled the old filter.
If for some odd reason that it stayed in and was caught under the new filter it will be in the inside of the new filter.
It would be very, very, very, rare that it could go any farther it would have had to sneak into the nipple of the treaded fitting and then it would have headed to the pressure regulator where it would have gotten trapped and caused the oil to be bypassed to the oil pan and there for you would have had a light on, on the dash telling you that you have no oil flow.
So quit sweating it and move on to something else to worry about. :D

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
As i was reading, i got to what Wolfman was thinking.when changing oil next time , cut filter open and look for missing piece. Screen, oil pump, pressure bypass,filter from outside in, crank and various things that need lubricating.
It would be quite a feat to get piece to fall into that nipple.

Saying that, if filter is bypass type it could pass through valve built into filter.
I think its caught in filter,exactly where it should be and will cause no harm.

Its no suprise seal stuck behind, happens more often than you would think, tightening new filter likely cut old one. Cant see old gasket being brittle and breaking.

Jason G

Equipment
Sep 19, 2014
Monticello Fl
Thanks so far for responses. Its funny, really, just how concerned I can get over my botas well being...

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Jason,

That is normal. We sweat over our machines because we have put hours of sweat and effort (in the form of money) into these neat little machines. Its called "working class ethic." Thank your parents for the fact you have it.

When I was 8, I got a new bike for Christmas. Every week, I would have to have my dad bend the chain guard out of the way because I had mashed it into the chain or gear cog in another "accident." My dad was a depression era kid. While working on my bike one day, my dad said, "When I was your age, I would have loved to have had a bike of my own. Especially a new one."

I realized right then what a pig I had been. I was embarrassed and ashamed I had been so careless. That changed me forever and I taught my kid the same values. I really feel bad for the young kids today because most of them have no concept of this pride in ownership. Our society suffers as a result...

I think my dad appreciated the change in me. Later, in high school, we had come across a low-time lawn mower that had been in storage quite awhile. i took it apart, de-greased it, waxed it, sharpened the blade and then tuned it so it would idle at an amazingly slow speed. It looked like a brand new machine. My dad would tell other people, "My son cleaned that thing up and made it run like new." I wanted my dad to know I understood what he tried to teach me. His comments to others were a sign he knew I had "gotten it" and were a source of pride for me as a young man. If he were here today, he'd appreciate the shape my formerly "dented" Kubota is in. :)

Last edited:

EricM

Equipment
2015 Deere 1025R FILB, 60" autoconnect MMM
Mar 29, 2015
Upstate NY
Jason,

That is normal. We sweat over our machines because we have put hours of sweat and effort (in the form of money) into these neat little machines. Its called "working class ethic." Thank your parents for the fact you have it.

When I was 8, I got a new bike for Christmas. Every week, I would have to have my dad bend the chain guard out of the way because I had mashed it into the chain or gear cog in another "accident." My dad was a depression era kid. While working on my bike one day, my dad said, "When I was your age, I would have loved to have had a bike of my own. Especially a new one."

I realized right then what a pig I had been. I was embarrassed and ashamed I had been so careless. That changed me forever and I taught my kid the same values. I really feel bad for the young kids today because most of them have no concept of this pride in ownership. Our society suffers as a result...

I think my dad appreciated the change in me. Later, in high school, we had come across a low-time lawn mower that had been in storage quite awhile. i took it apart, de-greased it, waxed it, sharpened the blade and then tuned it so it would idle at an amazingly slow speed. It looked like a brand new machine. My dad would tell other people, "My son cleaned that thing up and made it run like new." I wanted my dad to know I understood what he tried to teach me. His comments to others were a sign he knew I had "gotten it" and were a source of pride for me as a young man. If he were here today, he'd appreciate the shape my formerly "dented" Kubota is in. :)
What a nice post! Reading it just made my day. It's a shame that so many of the 20 somethings/millennials out there haven't a clue. Thanks for sharing!

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Thanks Eric,

Sorry to hijack the thread guys...

Humblebub

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX 2370 with MMW, FEL and snow blower
My grandfather was a hard rock New England farmer. If something broke he fixed it. No other choice. I followed him around i learned a few things and wish I had learned more. One thing he repeated to me over and over, "boy, man don't care for his equipment don't deserve to have it". Stuck with me. I get teased by less obsessive owners about the degree of care I apply to my 'stuff'. At 68 I can still hear grand dad.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks Eric,

Sorry to hijack the thread guys...
I don't think a sorry was needed.
Pride in ownership and operation is never a bad thing!
The caring Kubota owners sometimes go to the extremes to keep their machines running great and there is nothing wrong with that! :D

Joisey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB
May 31, 2015
Wild, Wonderful West Virginia
My grandfather was a hard rock New England farmer. If something broke he fixed it. No other choice. I followed him around i learned a few things and wish I had learned more. One thing he repeated to me over and over, "boy, man don't care for his equipment don't deserve to have it". Stuck with me. I get teased by less obsessive owners about the degree of care I apply to my 'stuff'. At 68 I can still hear grand dad.
Our grandfathers sound alike. Mine was born in 1868 and told me the very same words. I'm only 60, but those words still are in my mind and heart.

Burt

Equipment
L3700SU, box blade, 6 foot rhino blade, 1 bottom plow, 3 point receiver hitch.
Mar 24, 2012
Goldendale, WA USA
What a nice post! Reading it just made my day. It's a shame that so many of the 20 somethings/millennials out there haven't a clue. Thanks for sharing!
CCR,

No apology needed. Your learning experience reflects the good work ethic and pride you have in fixing stuff up. It reminded me of an early experience of mine also.

When I was in grade school circa 1958, I didn't have any tools of my own. On my way to school, I found a hammerhead in a vacant lot, rusty and no handle. On my paper route, I delivered to a hardware store. I found a handle for .25 cents and bought it. I shined up that hammer and put the handle in it. I still have it and it sits in my pegboard above my tool bench reminding me to be frugal and care for my equipment as well as my tools.

One of my Uncles once said: "If you take care of your tools, they will take care of you." A poignant and penetrating comment that also stuck with me.

Burt