Pesticides

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
The last couple years I've had a pest guy come three times a year. He sprays around the main house, garage/shop and two out buildings like 12x24.
$100. Each visit. He's here like 30 minutes. I have a electric sprayer for my ranger with hand held wand. I'd like to just spray myself and save a buck. I know he said whatever he uses isn't sold over the counter so to speak. But one he does spray there's no spiders or ants for weeks.
Any advice on what to buy that works good to kill bugs ?
Diazanon isn't sold any longer and I did use that years ago.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
DoMyOwn, https://www.domyown.com/ has a lot of options.

With the choices currently available at local box stores without a pesticide license, if I was serious about long term control without having a pest control guy, I’d take the couple of classes (as in a couple nights after work, total of about 4 hours) necessary to get a pesticide license and buy whatever actually works for several months for the pests your dealing with (probably the same thing your current guy is spraying). Don’t know if that’s an option in Maine or not.

Reactions: 1 user

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
I use this for ants and spiders.
Concentrated, cheap, can get it in a lot of places.
I spray 2x maybe 3x if long hot summer and works very well for me.
I am on very sandy soils and ants are fierce around my place if I didn't spray.

1681523233708.png

Pasted from tractor supply:
Product Details

The Gordon's 1 gal. Bug-No-More Large Property Insect Control Concentrate is an insecticide that offers powerful protection for hobby farms, large properties, and suburban lawns and landscapes. Simply mix 5 oz. of Gordon's Bug-No-More insecticide concentrate in 5 gal. of water to treat up to 5,000 sq. ft. with a compatible pesticide sprayer. This formula even prevents new infestations for greater peace of mind. Take control over your property with this powerful plant insecticide today.
  • Treats up to 128,000 sq. ft. of perimeters and 8,533 sq. ft. of trees, shrubs and ornamentals
  • Kills more than 200 listed insects by contact, including ants, roaches and spiders
  • Powerful insecticide prevents new infestations
  • Mix 5 oz. of Gordon's Bug-No-More insecticide concentrate in 5 gal. of water to treat up to 5,000 sq. ft.
  • Use on lawns, vegetable gardens, ornamental and landscape beds and home perimeters
  • Use a pump-up sprayer, hose-end sprayer or tow-behind sprayer
  • Rainfast 6-8 hours after application
  • When the spray has dried, people and pets can re-enter the area (dry time depends on the weather conditions)
  • Mow either 2 - 3 days before application or 2 - 3 days after application (lawn should be no taller than 3 in. at time of application)
  • Repeat application as necessary only if there are signs of renewed insect activity
  • Shelf life is at least 3 - 5 years when stored according to label directions

Ingredients

Zeta-cypermethrin

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
Fipronil is one of the best choices. It has a zero time for human re-entry when used on your lawn; it is what is in many dog flea/tick meds (gives you an indication of its low toxicity to mammals). It was developed in France around 1985.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
That "DoMyOwn" bug killer website has a ton of choices. I ended up ordering this.
Screenshot_20230415_173859_Chrome.jpg

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
This thread is causing a bit of PTSD for me. I lived in Arkansas for two years and had a house on 3-1/2 acres in a wooded/swampy area. The spiders were freakin' huge and everywhere! I've never seen anything like it and hope I never do again! I had two Rottweilers and used to walk them around the neighborhood in the mornings and evenings, and one night I could see the female up ahead stop a couple of times to scratch at something on her shoulder. I thought it was a big leaf or something, but as I got close I realized it was a spider the size of my fist! I hate spiders, well maybe that's a bit strong. I'm just not into the whole eight legs, lots of eyes, fangs, jumpy kind of thing! :cautious: Luckily it's too cold up here for spiders to thrive, or even ticks for that matter. I've only ever seen (found) one or two ticks on my dogs in 10 years of living on this property.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
This thread is causing a bit of PTSD for me. I lived in Arkansas for two years and had a house on 3-1/2 acres in a wooded/swampy area. The spiders were freakin' huge and everywhere! I've never seen anything like it and hope I never do again! I had two Rottweilers and used to walk them around the neighborhood in the mornings and evenings, and one night I could see the female up ahead stop a couple of times to scratch at something on her shoulder. I thought it was a big leaf or something, but as I got close I realized it was a spider the size of my fist! I hate spiders, well maybe that's a bit strong. I'm just not into the whole eight legs, lots of eyes, fangs, jumpy kind of thing! :cautious: Luckily it's too cold up here for spiders to thrive, or even ticks for that matter. I've only ever seen (found) one or two ticks on my dogs in 10 years of living on this property.
Ticks are bad in the Midwest and the North East…limes disease can be bad especially for dogs…but the worst tick infestations I have seen are in large cities, especial the state capitols…I suspect DC hold the title though. 😉

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Ticks are bad in the Midwest and the North East…limes disease can be bad especially for dogs…but the worst tick infestations I have seen are in large cities, especial the state capitols…I suspect DC hold the title though. 😉
Ticks are parasites.
That description is certainly MOST appropriate for what is in DC.

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
Here is what I use….

View attachment 100250
It will kill pretty much everything
Bifen will kill on contact and and act as a barrier but didn't keep the carpenter ants away on my sandy property. I sprayed the entire yard with bifen and coupled it with a quarterly foundation treatment of termidor/Taurus (fipronil) and it nuked everything all summer/fall. I had read online that switching up annually between fipronil and permethrin will keep any colonies from developing immunity. Permethrin does not last as long as fipronil does which is the only downside.

One thing I'd add for the newbies is do not spray it near your well opening as it will run down the PVC pipe and contaminate your water supply.

Reactions: 1 users

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
clipped
One thing I'd add for the newbies is do not spray it near your well opening as it will run down the PVC pipe and contaminate your water supply.
Excellent point. Depending on location and soil permeation you may contaminate your neighbors too.