Pesky Pine Cones

FrozenInTime

Equipment
BX2370
Mar 25, 2015
ND
I have several pine trees that drop large cones and tons of needles constantly. Would an estate rake be a good tool to rake them into a pile, a pull behind sweeper that would collect them, or? I have to spend a lot of time every time picking them up before I mow, I would love to do a quick(er) rake and be done. I also have a problem of having to rake my yard every spring to retrieve half my driveway rocks from the yard. My drive is bout 1/4 mile long, gets to be a pain with a yard rake. (I saw the other thread, don't shoot me) Cones/needles were not covered which is my bigger concern. I do hit the yard with a big roller before mowing in spring.

Thanks ya'll!

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
A sweeper is probably the best bet for the point needles. I have a sweeper with a dethatcher right in front of it. I think that is necessary. There are also pine straw rakes available, but I've never used one, or seen one used.
Come to think of it, I've seen the term estate rake be used for both the York rake sorta thing and the miniature hay rake/windrower... A York rake would be too harsh on the lawn, I would expect. A windrower would work well, I would think, but for me they were pretty price prohibitive.

So, did I muddy the water enough for you?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
I don't know what will work best, but I have been looking at a pine straw rake:
http://www.everythingattachments.com/Pine-Needle-Rake-Pine-Straw-Rake-p/pnr-60.htm

I need something to rake the pine needles, leaves, twigs and vegetation from the dirt road before I grade with my grading scraper. The mix of debris clogs up the grader scraper and I have to dig it out by hand.

Keep everyone posted on your solution especially if you would happen to buy a pine straw rake.

eddiebob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680, JD 40
Mar 23, 2014
Poplarville, Mississippi
Pine straw rake is the answer! I have a 7 acre yard with 40 pine trees and a pine straw rake is the real deal. It's a lot easier than a sweeper. Ed B

jriz65

Equipment
B2650,MMM,FEL, EA Pine straw rake, Bush Hog SQ148 cutter, LP 72" Rake, EA 55"Roo
Apr 11, 2012
Orchard Park,NY
I bought a pine straw rake from E.A a few years ago with hopes of assisting me with my pine cones. The rake works well for small twigs, under thatch and long pine needles but doesn't hold the pine cones for very long. My pine cones fall green from the trees and are long and thin, which pass thru the tines pretty easily.I think if they were those smaller dry woody petals the rake would be more effective. I don't regret my purchase, high quality American made product and great company to deal with, just giving my two cents...:D