people with tillers question

mpmitch1

Equipment
l3240 with 514 loader, forks, bush hog, disc, boom pole, FEL
May 24, 2012
madison
What is your tilling process for virgin dirt and dirt that has been disced within a year? do you use a plow first and come back with the tiller or only till? if so it seems that buying a tiller would save me time with food plots? i d like to change implements as little as possible.

avi8tor

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800DT, BX2380, RTV X900
Mar 14, 2010
Cleveland, Alabama
It has been my experience, that as long as you don't have a lot of tall grass or long vines - using the tiller will be ok. If there are tall grass or vines, then you will spend more time cleaning out the tines than it would to use a disc first to chop it up. I personally like to use a turning plow first and let it set for a few days, then go back over it with a tiller.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
A plow will go deeper than a tiller. We (my dad and I- he is more into gardening than I am) plow, then disc. I then till it up, right when we are ready to plant. It means changing some implements (actually, using two tractors- he plows and discs with his NH3930, then I till), but it produces a beautiful product, and it is easier on the tiller.
I have also tilled up gardens that were plowed, which worked fine. It is rougher on my little B7100 and myself, but it works.
I have also tilled up virgin ground, which also worked, but I think would have worked better if plowed and disced first.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
That is a 48" forward rotation King Kutter.

Iowan

Equipment
Kubota's
Apr 29, 2012
North central Iowa
I have a Woods 44" revers rotation tiller. In new garden's I make the first pass at 400 rpm lower than 540 pto rpm, then two more passe's at full rpm. This results in 8 or 9 inches of fluff. Most of my garden tilling is in tight space's where I'm lucky just to get the tractor and tiller in.

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
A plow will go deeper than a tiller. We (my dad and I- he is more into gardening than I am) plow, then disc. I then till it up, right when we are ready to plant. It means changing some implements (actually, using two tractors- he plows and discs with his NH3930, then I till), but it produces a beautiful product, and it is easier on the tiller.
I have also tilled up gardens that were plowed, which worked fine. It is rougher on my little B7100 and myself, but it works.
I have also tilled up virgin ground, which also worked, but I think would have worked better if plowed and disced first.
+++++++++++++1

South

Equipment
L245DT
Feb 22, 2011
ohio
I like to drop a plow on it first, just makes for easier tilling but I have done it both ways.

My process for tilling on virgin ground...

Roundup the area to kill grass, or mow real close.
Till once making a relatively shallow pass (2 to 3 inches).
Go over it again going a little deeper ( assuming you want to go deeper)
Repeat until you are down to the depth you want to be.

Seems a little easier on the equipment making multiple shallow passes, of course I am running a L245DT with a 48" woods tiller.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
I till once, wait about a week for the grass and roots to start to die then till again. That is how I have done my gardens from scratch.

Marty394

Equipment
L3010 w/ Cab, RCR 1560, RB 1584, SMC Loader, KK II 60" Gear Drive Tiller
Feb 28, 2010
Wisconsin
On food plots that are a long drive to get to, I'll run over them about three times . That seems to get the grass turned under quit well. Same with virgin garden plots ar sod. The brushcutter is your friend if there is small woody stems. It is a pain to try toe get all that stuff unwound after the fact.

Bob.