Pedal swap

st8yd

Equipment
2003 L3130 HST, LA513, Pats easy hitch
Dec 11, 2017
central FL
I see on the newer HST they have swapped the brake pedals to the left side and eliminated the clutch.

Is this possible or has anyone tried it on the older models?

st8yd

Equipment
Dec 11, 2017
central FL
You need the clutch to engage the pto.
I don't believe it's necessary, I almost never use the clutch to engage the pto and the new HST doesn't have a clutch.
The only thing I use the clutch for is to start it, and have been threatening to bypass that.

st8yd

Equipment
Dec 11, 2017
central FL
Does yours have an electric pto? If so i wouldn't consider it an older tractor. Engaging my pto without the clutch would grind the gears off.
Never heard of an electric PTO, But as I said, don't need the clutch to engage the pto, I've put hundreds of hours on it, and most of that probably mowing.
I didn't say anything about it being an older tractor, just that my friends 2017 similar model doesn't have it an my o3 does.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes some models have electrically activated PTO clutch packs, but your model has a hydraulic activated clutch pack, that's the reason you don't need to clutch the tractor to smoothly engage the PTO.

No there is no real reason beyond safety as to why they still use a clutch in that model, so I guess if you wanted to swap pedals you could.

st8yd

Equipment
Dec 11, 2017
central FL
No there is no real reason beyond safety as to why they still use a clutch in that model, so I guess if you wanted to swap pedals you could.
The new model doesn't have a clutch.

So do you know if its as simple as that just to just switch brakes to the other side?

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
NIW knows his stuff... he wont ever steer you wrong...

my 2017 2601 didnt have a clutch pedal & had brakes on the left side.

THAT was the absolute best improvement on the tractor. LOVE the left side brakes!!

"could" you switch yours over? YES. its all about how much work you want to put into it.

side note: now on my other tractor every time i go to hit the brakes i clutch it out.. :rolleyes:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The new model doesn't have a clutch.

So do you know if its as simple as that just to just switch brakes to the other side?
I will have to dig into the parts aspect of that to know if it's easy or not, I'll tell you it won't be cheap, Nothing exclusive to Kubota is cheap, but that's what makes it a good tractor! ;)

st8yd

Equipment
Dec 11, 2017
central FL
side note: now on my other tractor every time i go to hit the brakes i clutch it out.. :rolleyes:
LOL, I hear ya on that, except I only use the clutch to start so that's not embedded on the brain and I can't use the brakes except to lock it.
But I have hit my tilt steering pedal to crank and for a brief moment wonder why its not cranking. I love the tilt steering.

Not being cheap don't make it good, but when it's good not being cheap is acceptable.

Last edited:

st8yd

Equipment
Dec 11, 2017
central FL
I will have to dig into the parts aspect of that to know if it's easy or not, I'll tell you it won't be cheap, Nothing exclusive to Kubota is cheap, but that's what makes it a good tractor! ;)
It would be GREATLY appreciated if you were able to.!
I really wonder if parts just can't be swapped around?
I have been seriously contemplating eliminating the switch that requires the clutch to be depressed to start anyway, but wouldn't be opposed to adding the neutral position switch to start, for safety, If I were to be able to swap the brake pedal.

While this is only my third tractor in 20yrs, I have had it for 14yrs and have not had any major issues with it. I'm really pleased/happy with it.

Last edited:

Lennyzx11

Equipment
L3301
Dec 18, 2015
Bennington Vermont
Story about this.
I bought my L3301 in Dec15. Never farmed and had had a couple of tractors that I only "played" with. A Farmall H and an 8n and 9n.
So not a lot of exposure.
I read here on TBN about using the split brakes for turning tight brakes last year and tryed it with my brushhog to see what it was all about. I have HST.
And I wasn't impressed. If stomp on the brake with one foot and HST with the other and tractor would just bog down.
"Well, this is kinda stupid." I remember thinking and never played with it again.

Then this thread came up a few days ago reminding me.
I decided to try again while Box blading a level pad out front.
And the same thing. Very disappointed.
Then it hit me. I sheepishly reached down and unlocked the little tab on the rear of the pedals that locks them together as one!
I promptly started spinning that tractor around at the end of each pass on one rear wheel back and forth laughing at myself the whole time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Don't you just love it when you can call yourself a ""dumb ass"" and then laugh at yourself. My wife answered the phone the other day and said "hello" twice and the phone was still ringing. She had picked up the remote to the tv!!!!!

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
st8yd:

after your thread & stuff here... im actually gonna move the brake pedal over to the left side on my "other" tractor...

not gonna do away with the clutch for the PTO.. but will ad that brake pedal on the left side.

will post you some pix when it gets done.