Parking brake doesn’t hold on slope

Wwmchone

Equipment
KUBOTA L3902 HST, land pride bush hog, box blade
Jul 9, 2022
NC
Have a new L3902 HST which I use on sloping property. The parking brake will not hold the tractor when used on even a gradual slope. Anybody else experiencing this issue?

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
Are you pushing down firmly before engaging the parking lever ? Your owners manual should tell you how to use/ adjust your brakes.

Last edited:

Wwmchone

Equipment
KUBOTA L3902 HST, land pride bush hog, box blade
Jul 9, 2022
NC
Your owners manual should tell you how to adjust your brakes.
I have adjusted (reduced) the free travel on the brake pedals so it will hold on gradual slope. Is it possible to over reduce the free travel?

NWAZL3560

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, LA805 loader, BH77 backhoe, rock bucket, box blade, pallet forks
Jun 11, 2018
Mesquite, NV
I have adjusted (reduced) the free travel on the brake pedals so it will hold on gradual slope. Is it possible to over reduce the free travel?
Check your owners manual, there is a range for the free travel. On my L3560 it's 15-20 mm, 0.59 - 0.78 “. (9/16” - 3/4”).

My parking brake wasn't latching so I adjusted my free travel to about 5/8". It was about 1-1/4" and the rods felt loose so I lengthened them with the turnbuckle.. I still can't get the parking brake to latch when the two pedals are latched together, but when I unlatch them I can easily get the parking brake latched with the right pedal only. Not sure what I need to do now.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Check your owners manual, there is a range for the free travel. On my L3560 it's 15-20 mm, 0.59 - 0.78 “. (9/16” - 3/4”).

My parking brake wasn't latching so I adjusted my free travel to about 5/8". It was about 1-1/4" and the rods felt loose so I lengthened them with the turnbuckle.. I still can't get the parking brake to latch when the two pedals are latched together, but when I unlatch them I can easily get the parking brake latched with the right pedal only. Not sure what I need to do now.
You have a "new" L3902?
Talk to your dealer!

Reactions: 1 user

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
The Lxx02 is a new series, so it must be a new tractor, talk to your dealer, it has bumper to bumper warranty for two years.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Push the brake harder before locking the parking brake. If you lock it at the 1st click, it's not going to set the brakes much.

Personally, I push the brake pretty hard with my right foot, and use my left foot to set the locking lever to engage the parking brake. Too fat to bend over and do it by hand!!!

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I also lower my bucket. You may find that helps hold it in place.

trueg50

Equipment
B2601
Jul 1, 2020
Vermont
I also lower my bucket. You may find that helps hold it in place.
I do the same, or my box blade/scraper blade (I keep them on 99%of the time).

I'll be honest, I've forgotten to hit the brake or release the parking brake leaver when I get back on the tractor too many times, so dropping the front or back impliment is my preferred method most of the time.

Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Have a new L3902 HST which I use on sloping property. The parking brake will not hold the tractor when used on even a gradual slope. Anybody else experiencing this issue?
Push the brake harder before locking the parking brake. If you lock it at the 1st click, it's not going to set the brakes much.

Personally, I push the brake pretty hard with my right foot, and use my left foot to set the locking lever to engage the parking brake. Too fat to bend over and do it by hand!!!
Its also worth noting that the brake pedal adjustment will determine which tooth of the barking brake latch you catch. If you are pressing as hard as you can and still coming up just barely short of catching a tooth loosening the brake pedal adjustment just a tiny bit may let you catch that tighter setting.

Dan

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
are both pedals locked together or are you trying to use just one of them? The "catch" on the park brake ratchet only catches one pedal; in order to use the "park brake" you need to have both brake pedals latched together. One won't hold it, it'll slide down the hill

also if you are 4x4 and parking on slopes, lock in the 4x4. That in itself helps tremendously. Tractor won't slide the rear tires down the hill if the front AND rear are locked together mechanically.

if ya have a loader, put the bucket down on the ground too--and you should be carrying any load in/on the loader as low as possible at all times, only lifting it when the load needs to be lifted, say, loading a bale onto a stack or whatever.

NWAZL3560

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, LA805 loader, BH77 backhoe, rock bucket, box blade, pallet forks
Jun 11, 2018
Mesquite, NV

Update: I loosened the left brake rod and tightened the right brake rod a little and now I can set the parking brake with the pedals latched together. The free travel is larger than the spec range though.

Reactions: 1 users

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I have found on a brand new tractor the brakes need some bedding in. But the key is just press the brake pedal down really hard and then set the parking brake latch.