Pallet forks for L4600?

Sid Post

Equipment
Kubota L4600F and B2601
Oct 12, 2013
Texas, Oklahoma
First, if my search FU is weak, please point me to a good thread. I have read a bunch of "fork" threads but, I'm almost as confused now as when I started.

For my LA764, anything over 2,000 pounds is overkill and will probably take away from my lift capacity. I believe I have the SSQA option since I have the grey handles at the top of the bucket for a quick attach/detach for the bucket.

For tine length, the shortest I will consider is 42" with a strong preference for 48" and 60" being the maximum length (i.e. too long reduces lift capacity and makes it harder to maneuver since I don't want extra holes in my barn or enclosed trailer). A higher load rated fork would allow me to use it later on a larger tractor so, that is a factor as long as the weight doesn't become unreasonable.

Initially, I'm looking at these fork options:

Are any of these particularly better than the others? Where is the "sweet spot" for price vs. quality vs. capability? Where does the factory Kubota forks fit into the mix (i.e. how much do they cost, are they better, or the same as the others, etc.).

Best Regards,
Sid

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I'm sure opinions will vary but hears mine. My neighbor bought a nice looking set of aftermarket forks for his tractor. Looked great and seemed to be well built. They fit as sloppy as a wet noodle but would work.

I bought mine from Kubota and they fit like a glove.

The advantage I see with Kubota forks is that they are built to Kubota specs and you will get the correct forks for your tractor size. Aftermarket products are made to fit any brand. Not saying they won't work but don't be surprised if the fit and finish isn't like OEM parts.

I went with 42" on mine and have never had a need for anything longer.
That said my loader is a LA450.

flynavy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100 HST-D w/FEL,654 Whel Hrs w/blade, 2654 Hsqv mowr, 28h Cfstm snowblower&cab
May 1, 2014
Laurel Springs, NJ
I purchased an aftermarket set of forks on eBay....here's the caveat.

My purchase was from Paynes Forks @ over $200.00. After 30 days an a complaint filed w/eBay they finally arrived. This guy just doesn't return messages or emails....so one does have to wonder???

Now I must admit they fit fine (not perfect) and work equally as well, but then again I don't use them everyday or even every week or month. The mfg states there good for up to 1600lbs. I'll probably never get anywhere near that weight.

You have to be the judge if it's worth waiting that long when they promise 7-10 days.:rolleyes:

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I asked my dealer about pallet forks and thought he would recommend Land Pride as that is what I usually buy and he is a LP dealer, but he said name brand forks are in his opinion overpriced and always recommended a good quality from another source depending on where he could get the best buy. I got a set of Davis 3500 48" and like them, I have no idea who really makes them. I use them on our L5740 and M8540. I can't say if 48" is better than 42", just what I bought.

LP may well be better, I've just never had any experience with them.

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
There is a lot of negative reviews about Titan on the TBN forum, from loose fitting QA parts to bird poop looking welds to poor paint.

Do your research, and ask yourself how they can sell a forks set (or grapple, or whatever) for hundreds less than anybody else ans also offer "free" shipping.

I would encourage you to look closely at the EA products, they seems well made and the company has a great reputation.

Sid Post

Equipment
Kubota L4600F and B2601
Oct 12, 2013
Texas, Oklahoma
There is a lot of negative reviews about Titan on the TBN forum, from loose fitting QA parts to bird poop looking welds to poor paint.

Do your research, and ask yourself how they can sell a forks set (or grapple, or whatever) for hundreds less than anybody else ans also offer "free" shipping.

I would encourage you to look closely at the EA products, they seems well made and the company has a great reputation.
Thanks Kenny! That is the type of feedback I am looking for. If the SSQA doesn't fit right, it doesn't really matter how much you save IMHO. While "bubble gum" welds aren't pretty, as long as they are solid, I could live with that in this application since it isn't a "show piece". However, I'm more of a "buy once, cry once" type of guy since it always better to spend a little more and only purchase something ONCE! ;) Saving a few hundred only to replace it with the correct tool later is the most expensive way to buy something.

Sid Post

Equipment
Kubota L4600F and B2601
Oct 12, 2013
Texas, Oklahoma

Thanks Kenny! That is the type of feedback I am looking for. If the SSQA doesn't fit right, it doesn't really matter how much you save IMHO. While "bubble gum" welds aren't pretty, as long as they are solid, I could live with that in this application since it isn't a "show piece". However, I'm more of a "buy once, cry once" type of guy since it's always better to spend a little more and only purchase something ONCE! ;) Saving a few hundred only to replace it with the correct tool later is the most expensive way to buy something.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
A branded ('Land Pride', 'Kubota') fork set will by definition be overpriced for what they are.

There aren't that many companies in the US making truly 'forged' fork lift tines. Land Pride doesn't make their own fork tines--they buy them by the freight-car load as parts, just like all the other 'assemblers'.

Look on the tines for a forged heat-treat batch-ID and sometimes date of production stamped into the metal.

You want ONLY forged heat-treated tines. Nothing else is worth the time effort money. Avoid welded tines.

Do NOT cut or weld or notch or otherwise alter forged tines.

After finding forged tines, your other concern is the carrier plate. I buy the least expensive (not necessarily 'cheapest') for the value and have found that virtually any skid steer-type quick attach works fine. Some fit a bit looser than others, but the difference for the cost is negligible.

Get at least 48-inch tines. Haven't seen a set of 60-in (except for warehouse forklifts) intended for 'farm' tractors (skid steers) in my area ever---unless you're talking about commercial fork tine extensions---grossly expensive.

You are correct that longer tines reduce rated carrying and lift capacity, but ONLY at the tip of the tine. Just snuggle your load back against the frame and never see the difference.

You'll find longer tines much handier even if you don't want to carry full rated load stuck 4-ft out in front of you.

In my area, a nice set of plain-Jane skid steer-type 48-in forged-tine forks complete runs $550 from a no-name manufacturer out of North Carolina that supplies to dealers a 'secondary' line of implements for sale to customers that they can't get to buy the virtually identical more expensive name-brand units.

I've also picked up a couple sets from auctions and CraigsList, especially when construction contractors liquidate equipment after a job--typically a few hundred bucks.

Please post back and advise your experiences so we may all learn.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I would start buy getting prices from the 3 companies you listed, Kubota, Landpride, Everything Attachments. See what you get for prices then decide if you need to keep looking. Many people automatically assume that the BRAND name attachments are more expensive. Many times however, they are quite competitive if you compare them to another brand of exact same quality. Many times, after market brands are not the exact same quality. Sometimes, you get what you pay for.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I don't know how standard forks compair to SS type price wise, I only paid $800 and some change for my Kubota forks.

Sid Post

Equipment
Kubota L4600F and B2601
Oct 12, 2013
Texas, Oklahoma
I don't know how standard forks compair to SS type price wise, I only paid $800 and some change for my Kubota forks.
I was quoted $1100 plus tax for a set of 36" Kubota pallet forks for the LA764 loader. LandPride 48" PFL30's were $900. The EA's I'm looking at are little higher rated and about $30 cheaper than the LandPride PFL30's.

It's looking like LandPride is the way to go where I live at the moment.

Sid Post

Equipment
Kubota L4600F and B2601
Oct 12, 2013
Texas, Oklahoma
I went to a different Kubota dealer today and got a better quote on a set of LandPride PFL40-48's. I'm probably going to get them on Friday and will post some pic's if do and my camera works.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Tell the dealer you want the build your on price from the Kubota site. If you build a 4600 it shows the forks only add $407 to the total price.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
I only paid $289 for mine, got them at the local hardware. I've picked up stuff so heavy, it allmost tipped the tractor fwd. I did let it back down and rolled one of the logs off. Had them for 3 years, not bent or damaged.