Pallet Forks for a BX

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I will respectfully disagree sir.

In my humble opinion, my forks are quite literally the most useful attachment I have.
NP. I understand, and we all have our preferences. Probably part of the reason you love your forks is you have 2-3X the lift capacity of the BX in the string. My comments were in reference to a tractor that MAY have the ability to lift a bit over 200# or so after the forks are installed. That could be way above the requirements of some people but I wouldn't find it worth the money.

If somehow a pair of forks fell off a truck in front of my place I'd try them out:)

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I made my own 'rear pallet forks' aka 'carryall', 2 decades ago, built the frame, used 42" forklift forks. Cost was zero as all materials were from dumpster dives. Lifts 2500-3000#.
I don't consider $950 CDN a 'value ' price(+13% taxes..). Have seen 'economy' versions(Peavymart) for $500, even then seems way outta line for what they're made of.

jampy00

Equipment
BX1880
Jan 11, 2024
Ontario, Canada
I made my own 'rear pallet forks' aka 'carryall', 2 decades ago, built the frame, used 42" forklift forks. Cost was zero as all materials were from dumpster dives. Lifts 2500-3000#.
I don't consider $950 CDN a 'value ' price(+13% taxes..). Have seen 'economy' versions(Peavymart) for $500, even then seems way outta line for what they're made of.
I 100% agree, I want a set with a modified skid (Pallet) as a carry all.
Plus I am sure when I order materials they will come on a skid (Pallet).

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
agri supply is red, King kutr is yello, both weigh 75#.......
red, $189 better deal, yel is 250 ?

Bugzilla46310

Equipment
2022 BX2680 198? AC 916H
May 22, 2022
Demotte, IN
Bought a clamp on pair from VEVOR. Less than a C note, free delivery and more than adequate for my needs.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Found these:

174 Pounds
I have a set of those 3pt forks for my Ford 1920 FEL.
They are really great, and will lift 2000 lbs......, but will not lift very high.
Paid about $250, from Agri Supply, about 8 years ago.

PNWBXer

Equipment
BX2380
Feb 24, 2020
Washington
Do you have anything in mind that you need the forks for, or is this just something you think may come in handy at some point? You might be better off doing what you can with the bucket and some straps.

The spec appears to give the lift limit at 509# and 423# for the pin-on and QA respectively at around 20" in front of the pins. Deducting the weight of the lightest forks and considering how much capacity is lost when the actual center of the load is moved another foot or two - it doesn't leave much capacity.

A general attachment for moving stuff around my garage, moving some logs, move lumber around for an outdoor woodshed project. Might look to try and up the PSI to get more lifting capacity. Anyway I want the stand alone forks....just my preference.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I will respectfully disagree sir.

In my humble opinion, my forks are quite literally the most useful attachment I have.

If I were stranded on "Gilligans Island" with my tractor, and only got 1 forward attachment to have, it would hands down be my forks. No question about it.

View attachment 121546
I would have picked Ginger. But to each to their own 😆.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
"I don't think you can find any pallet forks that are much lighter than the Land Pride ones"

You are wrong Jim!
Everything Attachments 42" Ultra Light pallet forks weigh only 185 lbs. and will lift 1250 lbs.!
A HUGE difference in weight/lift capability, as compared to the Land Pride!

Particularly for a small machine, you want the absolutely lightest dead weight forks that you can buy!Everything Attachments makes TOP QUALITY stuff !!!
I take it that…subsequent to recent news about EA/Neill lawsuits/bankruptcy…. this recommendation is WITHDrawn..?? (not that you could get anyone to answer the phone up there anyway…. just DON’T SEND ANY MONEY if they do!)

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
Well....Its time for me to finally finish getting all the useful attachments for my BX2380. I was at the kubota dealer inquiring about a rear blade and pallet forks. The BX can only lift like 600lbs maybe more with some hydraulic chicanery. So does the BX need heavy duty forks? I would assume not.

Is there a good set of light duty forks that can handle 600-800lbs of logs (or pallets)? Maybe save some $$$ and not have stupid heavy forks that take away from my lifting capacity? Most normal forks seem like overkill for the BX (again which including the forks can only lift 6- 800lbs.
I have the Land Pride SSQA forks on mine (BX23S). I got them because I can mount my post hole auger to the frame (made it a little cheaper to buy) plus I got a little $$ off and rolled it into the financing of the tractor.
To me the SSQA is worth it 95% of the time. But I've ran into occasions I'd like a little extra capacity, so I just ordered the Redline pin on frame only (I'm going to use the forks from the LP), for when I need every last pound of capacity. This will move the weight a few inches closer as well as (temporarily) getting rid of the SSQA adapter.
I'm back and forth with the bucket and forks, so it's worth the extra $$ to have the convenience the majority of the time and the extra capacity when I need it.

I think some people forget that it's not just how much something weighs, it's also where the weight is.
With the LP forks I can lift 14 40# bags of pellets, but they have to be stacked up against the frame. If they're spread even across the pallet my BX can't even budge them.
I don't understand bucket forks on anything small for this reason.

Last night I used the pallet forks to pick up and move a stump my bucket couldn't even curl, because I could get completely underneath the stump and put the weight up against the frame. The stump (with roots) was too large to fit all the way in the bucket. I don't think the weight was even 12 inches further out with the bucket.

I'm really interested to see how much more I can lift with the pin on frame. I kind of wish I had found something with a lower frame height for less weight (anything I'm going to max out on lift capacity doesn't go that high, and I'm extra careful what I'm doing in that case). I may end up cutting the top off. We'll see.

Don't forget shorter forks will give you more lift capacity too.

That's obvious.

The same rules apply to larger tractors. If it's too much, it's too much.

Everything is a tradeoff, but how many people lift pallets that are "just" 115 lbs too heavy?
If you're lifting a solid load like a boulder or the end of a car, yes. Either you can or you can't.
But most things on pallets the weight is adjustable. I get 8000# of pellets on 1 ton pallets. My BX can't even dream about budging half of that. But I can break the bags down onto another pallet. The more bags I can get on each pallet the fewer trips I need to take.
Most of what I lift with the forks isn't on a pallet. I've had logs I had to cut a foot or so off each end so I could lift them ( I mill them, so length matters).
I have several small trees to hopefully move this spring. They're just big enough I'm worried about being able to lift them.
Especially on a small machine, every little bit matters.

Do you have anything in mind that you need the forks for, or is this just something you think may come in handy at some point? You might be better off doing what you can with the bucket and some straps.

The spec appears to give the lift limit at 509# and 423# for the pin-on and QA respectively at around 20" in front of the pins. Deducting the weight of the lightest forks and considering how much capacity is lost when the actual center of the load is moved another foot or two - it doesn't leave much capacity.

I have to respectfully disagree.
With the exception of bucket stuff (dirt, small rocks, ect) pallet forks are much better at lifting things.
More versatile, can handle more volume, and the weight can usually be closer to the pins.
And even if the bucket weighs less than the forks, the forks tend to have their weight closer to the pins than the bucket does.

I put in a bunch of Arborvitaes this fall; moved them with the forks.
Moved god knows how much brush, and compacted into a pile, pushed the pile around.
Logs.
Kitchen stove.
Large molder/planer (woodworking equip).
Riding lawnmower.
I can lift/store the bucket on the forks if need be.
Plus anything on a pallet.

Not to mention lifting with a bucket and straps; even if you can get the top of your load directly underneath the bottom of the bucket, your loader is going to be at least 2 feet higher than lifting the same thing on forks, with the resultant loss of capacity and stability.
And if you need to use straps the fork frame will work at least as well, and probably better than the bucket.

All of the above is true of any equipment, and is magnified the smaller the machine.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
That's obvious.

The same rules apply to larger tractors. If it's too much, it's too much.

Everything is a tradeoff, but how many people lift pallets that are "just" 115 lbs too heavy?
Sometimes the "obvious" is not "obvious" to all!

redtnsv

Equipment
BX2380
May 11, 2021
MI
Not sure if you have them locally, but Storm 2000. Weigh 185lbs and up to 2000lbs. I debated them but realized I pretty much was going to use it to move brush so I just got some clamp ons for under $100.