Pallet fork attachment to bucket

Dirtyj

Equipment
M5 091, B2910
Dec 4, 2019
Trappe, md
Has anyone had any experience with these? I have a B2910 which I would like to have a pallet/fork lift option. This particular vintage of 2910 has the hydraulics tied into the bucket so simple removal is not so simple (as with the quick attach bucket models).

I have searched around and some clamp to the bottom of the bucket, which seems simple, but appea them might warp the lead
edge if overloaded. I have been look at the forks with the chain/ratchet attachment (made by Neat Attachments) and was wondering if anyone has any feedback on these.

Thanks for any insight.
1651141462740.jpeg

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
While I don't own that model of tractor, I offer my comments.
You should consider buying a SSQA adapter plate. Pretty sure several people make them but I don't know which loader assembly (LA???) you have.

Clamp on forks are
1) heavy...none of us are getting younger
2) awkward...again the aging body 'detail'..
3) can BEND your bucket
4) HARD to see the 'load'
5) time consuming(on/off PITA )
6) reduced load capacity(sticks waaaay out front )

Hopefully others who have or did their research will chime in...

If this is your 'forever' tractor,really convert to SSQA
1) you ELIMINATE ALL 6 of the above 'problems'
a) YOU don't have to lift them heavy,awkward forks !
b) YOU don't have to wrestle with straps and heavy forks
c) no bucket to bend !
d) far better visibility..no bucket !
e) real QUICK on /off times
g) MAX load capacity(load at SSQA frame

2) can use other attachments(borrow from neighbour !!)
3) increase resell value of tractor
4) higher productivity

Now as to cost.. You'll need to find adapter and a bucket VS the clamp-on forks.
You can either modify your bucket to SSQA, sell online or trade in at dealer.
The adapter can be 'off the shelf' or homemade.

In my case, it's about a 60/40 split between bucket vs forks usage. some days I swap them 10 -15 times. I can't imagine handling clamp-ons like that.
I kinda doubt anyone who has SSQA would go back to pin-on.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
We started out with clamp on pallet forks on my dad's tractor. We were disappointed in them for a couple of reasons:
  • They were pain to put on and take off; it wasn't difficult, just not as simple as pulling up and hooking up; of course we would never have the spacing right and would have to undo and move one side or the other and sometime both
  • We couldn't lift as much as we would like; the forks stuck out reducing the lift capacity, plus you still had the weight of the bucket on your loader reducing the load capacity
We end up buying a set of forks and never looking back. The forks are nice and can be used on my tractor or his. Easier to adjust the fork placement. They don't stick out as far as the clamp on increasing your lift ability.

So, that has been our experience with clamp on vs regular forks.

I failed to mention the plus for the clamp on forks, which is the price. Yet, what we found the price wasn't a great enough plus to offset the limits of the clamp on. We went with the clamp on forks because of the price and we wanted to save money thinking we wouldn't use forks that much. Yet, once we actually bought a set of forks, it is the second most used implement after my grapple.

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
As far as clamp on forks go, those look decent. Tying the bottom of the bucket to the top goes a long way in avoiding giving your bucket a permanent smile. A lot of people like the ratchet rake - this is along those lines.
As far as clamp on forks go, (I have no experience in these or other clamp on forks) these seem relatively stout. If you're married to clamp ons, whether for cost or whatever other reason, I would go with these. That being said, you would really appreciate getting ssqa and a "real" set of forks. If you're in a position to, do that.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
One hidden cost with clamp-ons...

sooner or later, you'll toss your back out, probably getting them on...... so, you'll lose a day or 3 of time AND a couple $$$ trips to the backcracker...... Since the Chinese V came to town 2+ years ago, I've been REAL cautious about lifting/lugging/twisting as it's a real pain to be laid up,especially in good weather when stuff HAS to be done. OK, not everyone is near 70 BUT even a young body has it's limits to abuse.

never thought about the 'oopsy--spaced them wrong' PITA mistake ! Maybe it only takes another 5 minutes to adjust " But do that every day and you've lost a 1/2 hr in that week.

BTW I can't get to 'neat farms' website...keeps going to Google ! ??

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If your primary concern right now is a bow in the bucket edge because of accidental overloading you could install a tooth bar and get additional strength there.

Grindstone

Equipment
B2601, FEL, BH, MMM
Mar 10, 2022
CT
I have a pair of the clamp on style, see pic below, and they have served their purpose so far but.....I ordered a pair of real pallet forks for a few reasons and will be selling these after their last job of taking the new forks outta the truck when they come in.

Reasons: Usually find myself having to get off the tractor to manually install them. They are heavy and takes time to adjust, put them on, and strap down. Puts the load out further away which limits my capacity. Pretty much what everyone said above.

If you are not going to go and switch to quick attach and just want something that is usable and low cost they will work. Just too many drawbacks for me to keep at this point.

Attachments

Dirtyj

Equipment
M5 091, B2910
Dec 4, 2019
Trappe, md
Thanks for the responses.

I have the LA402 loader so trying to incorporate the ssqa won’t work. Without putting a ton of money into this (new loader with quick attach or engineering a modification to the LA402) I don’t think I have aNy other options. I am mainly looking to increase my hauling power beyond the normal bucket size for debris and small trees around the farm. To help with the potential overloading I may add weight to the back or just attach my bush hog when I know it’s a possibility.

I am familiar with the quick attach as I have it on my M5091 but that’s a different animal and located in another state.

thanks again.

Attachments

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
You may have more luck with a add on manure forks if you are just looking at carrying debris.

1651168277751.png

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
curious... I googled la402... found this..

so $1100 for the adapter........

not that bad a price considering the work involved in making your own...

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
Another thought to consider.... I do not need my tractor on a daily basis. So last September I ordered an LX2610 and listed my old 2004 B7510 for a very strong price I ended up getting 13,100 out of the B7510 back in October. I used the Equine discount for the LX and was able to get about 17% off the MSRP. Yes I had to wait till December for the LX to come in but I now have a tractor with 950 less hours, A SSQA loader, A loader that lifts double what my old LA272 on the B7510 would as well as a 3rd function and 2 rear remotes.
Yes the LX cost more but for about $7k I have a much more capable tractor that is new and I would have spent $1,500-$2,000 of that $7k easy in converting the old B7510 to SSQA.
Resale on clean used tractors is insane right now. If you have the ability to wait for the new one to come in you can get a good deal of money off the new one while getting really strong money on your old one.

Now if you need your tractor more often than I do that might not work for you but in my case I just let the jobs stack up till I got the new one....

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Reactions: 1 user

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
The one in your photo may work better than the clamp on only type, but look at that chain link going over the top bucket edge, don't you think it will bite into the tiny contact point and cause bending there?

Grindstone

Equipment
B2601, FEL, BH, MMM
Mar 10, 2022
CT
If you have to go clamp on may I suggest you go with a style that I posted a pic of above. The cross bar helps with keeping the forks parallel and can be adjusted or taken off completely if need be. Then the posts accept 2x4s where you could make a brush guard if needed. It also come with cut outs that will accept hooks to clamp them to the bucket for an extra secure fit on the front and bottom of the forks. I use ratchet straps with mine and havent had them come loose yet. No matter how hard you clamp them down they work their way loose if not secured with strap or chain. When ive gone to take them off the spin clamps have been loose but the forks wouldnt/didnt budge due to the straps being secure. Just my 2 cents