Overrunning clutch trouble l245

Bauke95

Equipment
Kubota l245
Nov 23, 2021
katlijk netherlands
Hello It looks like my pto is nevver used before because of the marks on the shaft.
but when i shift gears on the pto all three gears drives the pto an diverend speed.
Everthing wel functioning so far.
but when i connect a implement to it its stands still i can stop the pto shaft by hand.
so far its looks broken but when i connect an pto shaft to it en rotade counter clockwise the engine goes around so its conected when i put pressure in counter clockwise direction and hold it it delivers power until i release the presurre than is trats freewheeling again.

anybody knows what this means ?
it looks like the pto is nevver used and the kubota was sleeping for over 10 years before i waked him up 3 months ago

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
STOP GRABBING A PTO with the ENGINE RUNNING, DARWIN!

Or at least name me in your insurance policy.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Fortunately there is something broken in your PTO. If it wasn’t broken and you grabbed it with your hand, regardless the reason, you would be seriously injured or killed. Before moving into an office job, farm and construction accident field investigation was part of my job. I’ve seen too many people and chunks of people wound around PTO’s to say anything other than never, ever get near it when it’s running. Don’t ever touch it if the engine is running even if the PTO isn’t engaged. Even a “small” tractor will mangle or kill you. Touching a running PTO (particularly the unguarded area you’d have to touch to stop it) is like driving 100 mph with your eyes closed; just don’t.

Past that, I don’t know anything about your specific model of tractor so I can’t help you with how to fix it. Knowing you have grabbed it while running, I would be quite conflicted on whether to tell you how to fix it if I did know how to fix it. If you or someone else thinks this isn’t a polite reply, you’ve clearly never seen the results of a PTO entanglement. I would much rather you have bruised feelings and animus toward me than for you to be mangled or killed.

Good luck with your machine. I hope you have many hours of safe use with it.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I will assume your tractor has a single stage clutch so that the pto and drive gears both engage as you release the clutch pedal. I assume it is 2 wheel drive and not Four wheel drive but please confirm that.

Since you have no PTO I assume that you won’t have much power to the drive wheels? Does the tractor drive under its own power? Does it pull a plow or heavy object well? I assume that you have a problem with the clutch slipping but if it pulls well that eliminates clutch slipping and indicates that the problem is in the pto drive system and not the clutch (to me anyway).

There are workshop manuals for that tractor at Kubotabooks.com that probably have trouble shooting steps for the problem.

I think you will have to replace the clutch plate and pressure plate from what you have stated so far. But that is speculation from the statements you have made.

Bauke95

Equipment
Kubota l245
Nov 23, 2021
katlijk netherlands
thanks for all the warnings about a running PTO I know the dangour.
maybe i didnt subscribe that not on the ride way because of the language barrier overseas.

There is no problem with my main clutch the tractor is as strong as it should.
its a 2 wd tractor with an single clutch.
Like i told when the tractor is not running i can turn the engine by turning the pto shaft! so it is connected.

But when the tractor is running al the power on the pto is gone

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I’ll retract the suggestion to replace the clutch but have no idea what else to suggest. You may want to look into what the overrunning ratchet mechanism does and see how to troubleshoot that and the splined shaft connections to the pto.

You will still probably have to split the tractor to get into the transmission but wait for a more intelligent person to suggest what your next steps should be.

I don’t imagine it takes too much torque to turn the engine over by rotating the pto shaft so that may not be a good indicator of how much the system can transfer out of the pto stub shaft

ranger danger

Equipment
Kubota M6060, MEB 802A tactically quiet generator
Jun 11, 2017
East of Placerville Ca
As I recall, my L245 had a PTO engage/disengage lever. Is it possible its not engaged? The shaft would turn when not engaged but was not powered until it was engaged.