Overrunning clutch attachment is stuck

ps2130

Equipment
L1801
Apr 24, 2011
elburn, il
Hi Guys,

I have a mid 70's 1801 (Grey Market). When I bought it, I put an over running PTO extension from Hub City on it. The brush hog is the only thing I use the PTO for and I have never removed the extension since I put it on 5 years ago ( I grease it but apparently not enough).

Yesterday I took off the snow blade, put the brush hog on and the clutch is frozen... the tractor fights to keep moving until the mower stops spinning.

I disconnected the brush hog but I can't get the extension off. I think I tightened a set screw to grab the groove in the PTO shaft when I installed it but I honestly am not sure. There is a hole opposite the Zirc fitting that I suspect would give me access to the set crew but because it won't ratchet I can't line it up.

I took off the Zirc and have been working PBlaster in but so far, it is not budging.

Does anyone have advice on how I can get this off?

Thanks

Paul

Profnohair

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1500, 42" bh, box blade, G6200HST, Mahindra 450 with BH, FEL, etc.
A cutter wheel on a grinder will certainly get it off. Just don't get crazy and cut into the shaft itself. And what about cutting off just the tip of the extension and then using a puller. That may be a better idea.

tjd7869

Equipment
L210
Feb 27, 2014
conneaut lake, PA
you may have luck freeing up the clutch by hitting the end of it with a hammer, it may break the teeth inside free, another option if you have it would be heating with a torch (use caution). you could just give it time and run your brush hog with extra care, it may break free with use. just thought about this one, pipe wrench and cheater bar. lastly just as Profnohair said use a cutting wheel. i would start by cutting the outer housing off and go from there.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There should be a way to take the clutch apart, most I've seen have a snap ring that hold them together.
Another option is to give it a few good thumps with a hammer to help free it up.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I would not use heat - too easy to overdo it and ruin a seal on the PTO shaft. I also would not use big wrenches or cheater bars; I'd hate to break an internal gear tooth.
I would try disassembling the device, or cutting it off with a hack saw to put a gear puller on it. You can put the tractor in neutral and run the PTO to let the tractor do the work. Be EXTREMELY CAREFUL!!

tjd7869

Equipment
L210
Feb 27, 2014
conneaut lake, PA
I would not use heat - too easy to overdo it and ruin a seal on the PTO shaft. I also would not use big wrenches or cheater bars; I'd hate to break an internal gear tooth.
I would try disassembling the device, or cutting it off with a hack saw to put a gear puller on it. You can put the tractor in neutral and run the PTO to let the tractor do the work. Be EXTREMELY CAREFUL!!
I'm not saying to go all out with the methods i mentioned, just that in my experiences with rusted/stuck mechanical parts a little bit of persuasion is often needed. my stand would be to use a hammer and hit it and/or using the brush hog carefully till it free'd itself.

ctmike

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L 3750 DT with loader, brush mower, rear grader blade, box scraper, rear blower,
May 10, 2013
Suffield, CT
I was thinking the same thing.

Take the grease fitting off and also the plug on the opposite side. Get a pin punch and bang out the roll pin, then the clutch should come off. It may be tough to get off the pto shaft if you hadn't taken it off in a while.

Once you get it off, pull the circlip off and take it apart and clean it up. Use some anti- seize on the pto shaft when you put it back together.

ps2130

Equipment
L1801
Apr 24, 2011
elburn, il
Thanks guys. It was an Allen set screw. I cut off the outer hub with a grinder to get at it. I put up with the mower overrun for about 3 weeks and it did not budge.