Outside oil or kerosene tank owners

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
curious..
do the guys who have outdoor tanks have them tilted back away from the exit spigot ?
farmer friend does, keeps all the 'junk' from getting out....

Vince1230

Equipment
Bx2370
May 13, 2022
Honey Grove,Pa
I also heard of sock in tank to absorb water. When buying fuel our oil company will add an additive if tank is outside. Some also tilt tank so the outlet is high so eater sits on opposite side of tank.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Outside tanks have a habit of collecting water, and if you tilt the tank to keep the water at the low side, you run the chance that eventually the water will rust out the bottom of the tank, and then you have an oil spill problem. If you put the outlet side low, add a good-quality water separator to the line, and keep an eye on it, you are less likely to have any problems. When I had an outside oil tank, I plumbed it with two lines, one to the burner pump, and one from the burner pump back to the tank. I filtered the oil coming and going, and change filters regularly. Never had a problem with the setup as described. I also added a fuel conditioner that was supposed to eliminate the water and it must have worked because the separator rarely needed to be drained.

Reactions: 1 user