Out Front or Behind?

Rockon75

Equipment
L2550 GST
Aug 17, 2014
Maryland
http://youtu.be/c3npHkIM38E
I have the materials and am in the process of building something along the lines of the plow in the video above. I can put it on the fel or the three point. My question is, on which end would the tractor (l2550dt gst with turf tires) have the most tractive effort? It will weigh about 350lb.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
The weight difference between the skid steer and your tractor is significant. I think it is misleading to compare the two.
What happens in a wet sticky snow when the snow wont come out of the big box? You will spend all your time with a shovel.
A blade with wings on the FEL is likely the most versatile tool for you.
With the FEL you can lift the blade and push back the snow pile. On the 3 pt you are limited with how high you can go.
Dave M7040

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Skid steers indeed are heavier, but a smaller tire may be workable. A little creative cutting on the bottom would keep it from loading up. Definetly on the fel. I get a chill right to the bone imagining doing it with an open cab.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
So as far as tractive effort, my tractor will push better than pull?
Push which way? forward or reverse?
I can push twice as much going in reverse than forward!

One point that most miss when comparing what a Skid Steer and a Tractors FEL can do is the fact that on a tractor the pivot point is forward of the rear end causing the weight to cantilever off the front tires alone lifting the back tires, on a skid steer the pivot point is to the rear of the entire unit using the whole unit as ballast.

Another thing, it may be only 350lbs more on the FEL, but it's going to be way out there compared to a normal blade or bucket.

Not to take the wind out of your sails but, your tractor is way too small to handle a tire on the FEL, I wouldn't do it with mine and I've got 500lbs and 10HP on yours.
You could put it on the 3 point but I don't see it being much use, I move snow, and lots of it normally, on over a mile of private road and driveway and a rear blade angled works the best or when deep a snow blower.

Rockon75

Equipment
L2550 GST
Aug 17, 2014
Maryland
Ok thx for the insight. Let me ponder a bit. I may continue with the effort just to see how poorly it does. I like to fabricate anyhow. Thanks for the heads up though.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Look up Westendorf Manufacturing in Iowa. Take a look at their mechanism for their Rear Ender bucket thing. You might consider building that, since it raises and dumps using the three point.