ORTHO weed killer opinion

Daylight

Equipment
BX231, Ortolan T10
Feb 25, 2021
Folks,

does anyone here have experience with ORTHO GroundClear (poison ivy and tough brush killer)? Recommendations?

Obtaining effective herbicide is getting ever harder in Europe, but I can have someone bring back a jar or two of this stuff, which looks interesting...

TIA!

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I believe it's basically generic glyphosate (no, I didn't look it up on Ortho's website)

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
Reactions: 1 user

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
its a homeowner type of cocktail that does 2 things. It kills vegetation (stuff thats up) and sterilizers the soil (stuff yet to come up) to stop regrowth.

Since you don't say what you are using it for I have no opinion to share.

But not for use in killing weeds in gardens / flower beds / etc... as it will kill the emerged stuff but also will not let the flowers / veggies / etc... grow.

Using it on a stone driveway that no risk of leaching in the soil into the grass area? should be good.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
concentrated Vinegar will kill it also.

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB, Homestead 55" grapple, LP 1684 rear blade, WR Long 84" snowplow
Nov 1, 2020
concentrated Vinegar will kill it also.
This! I use 45% vinegar from Amazon, cut 50/50 with water and a dash of liquid soap as a sticker. Works great, but for PI you may need full strength.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
I have used several ground clears. They all work well BUT, they are all short term. Nature abhors a vacuum and something will grow back.

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
4l of vinegar, 250ml of salt and some dish soap = 'poor man's Roundup'. Spray good amount after morning dew is gone and weeds will die after lunchtime.
yes may take 2-3 applications depending on the weeds but it'll even kill bindweed !

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Folks,

does anyone here have experience with ORTHO GroundClear (poison ivy and tough brush killer)? Recommendations?

I have found it to be not much better than spraying with vinegar. A complete waste of money.

There are often some serious regulatory problems with bringing such products into different countries. I"d be very sure you aren't getting yourself or your friend in trouble by trying to bring it across country boundaries.

Better yet, don't waste your time and money with it.

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
Folks,

Obtaining effective herbicide is getting ever harder in Europe, but I can have someone bring back a jar or two of this stuff, which looks interesting...

TIA!
Diesel FTW.

Daylight

Equipment
BX231, Ortolan T10
Feb 25, 2021
Thanks for all your feedback!

I'm dealing with grass deeply rooted between cobblestones and 30-feet long brambles. I've been digging up brambles for years; where I managed to remove the last piece of root, they are gone, but anything that's left sprouts again, and the property is simply too large to deal with all of it. "Environmentally-friendly" (i.e. acid-based, which aren't that friendly either as they acidify the soil) products just don't cut it: we need something considerably stronger for an initial deep but topical clean-up, after which less aggressive stuff can be used for regular maintenance.

As far as diesel goes: works great, yes, but it poisons the soil for many years, so I'm not going that way.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas

I'm dealing with grass deeply rooted between cobblestones and 30-feet long brambles. I've been digging up brambles for years; where I managed to remove the last piece of root, they are gone, but anything that's left sprouts again, and the property is simply too large to deal with all of it. "Environmentally-friendly" (i.e. acid-based, which aren't that friendly either as they acidify the soil) products just don't cut it: we need something considerably stronger for an initial deep but topical clean-up, after which less aggressive stuff can be used for regular maintenance.

As far as diesel goes: works great, yes, but it poisons the soil for many years, so I'm not going that way.
Boiling water, or better, pour boiling water and vinegar on them.

I've found that brambles tend to like acidic soil. So killing them off and treating the soil with pelletized lime helped.

I'm currently dealing with that on my six acres. It's mature oaks, poison ivy, and briars.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Ice cream salt. Lasts a long time…but not forever….the earth recovers.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

Where is 6860? Part of the witness protection plan? ;)

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
The Ortho product is 94.92% other ingredients, 5% glyphosate and 0.08% Imazapyr

the Imazapyr is long lasting in the ground and can move around in the soil with moisture and kill other plants and trees

the glyphosate is surface contact and is fairly inert in the soil.

I prefer to use only glyphosate since it will kill the whole plant down into the roots.

I don’t like herbicides in the soil because they tend to take a long time to break down.

Glyphosate mixed weaker is generally more effective in killing the whole plant since it will be distributed to the root system. But I have also used it full strength on fresh cut stumps and successfully killed large invasive chinaberry trees.

Reactions: 1 users

Countrylife

Equipment
L235, RTV 900
May 12, 2022
East Texas
You will find that Glyphosate (roundup) will work well on grasses and not so well on brush. Glyphosate will move through the plant and kill the entire plant (depending on concentration, amount sprayed, etc so may take more than one spraying). It does not translocate thru the soil. I use it around my blackberries to control the weeds, it does not seem to harm the blackberries.

For brush or other woody plants you'll need to use Triclopyr. The problem with poision ivy is the waxy coating on their leaves, but I'd try it. It may take more than one spraying to get enough absorbed by the ivy to kill it.

If you want to kill everything, then a tank mix containing both of these will work well. Be sure to follow the directions on the label as to amount to use. Using a little less is false economy because it won't kill the plant and you'll have to re-spray. Using to much wastes money and won't kill the plant any faster.

P.S. These are the generic names and any label containing it should work.

Countrylife

Equipment
L235, RTV 900
May 12, 2022
East Texas
Another thing you might want to try is to add a "spreader/sticker" to your tank, especially for things like poison ivy that have a waxy coating. There are actual bottles of "spreader/sticker" or you can also use a dish washing detergent like "Dawn" which breaks the surface tension of the spray solution so it wets the plant better instead of beading up on the leaves.

Time of year for spray application is important especially for glyphosate. Actively growing plants are more susceptible to the chemicals. To help promote "actively growing", some folks add a small amount of a liquid nitrogen solution (essentially fertilizer) to help encourage the growth and absorption of the chemicals. (I have not noticed any improvement in weed kill in my applications when I used the nitrogen).

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
4l of vinegar, 250ml of salt and some dish soap = 'poor man's Roundup'. Spray good amount after morning dew is gone and weeds will die after lunchtime.
yes may take 2-3 applications depending on the weeds but it'll even kill bindweed !
You must be referring to the highly acidic vinegar? Bindweed laughs at the typical 5% vinegar.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
no just regular 'food grade' vinegar. the problem with bindweed is the 15-25' long roots ! That's why you need several applications. I let it get 'green' then soaked it,so a good portion died off. Lower root pokes up after few days, soak it again..... had 1/8 acre of it and 5-6 applications it finally died.

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com