Opinions on post hole diggers

Dippybird

Equipment
L2900
Jun 21, 2020
Ma
I am looking to purchase a 3pt post hole digger. I have about 40 post I have to replace. I usually look at used equipment so I wanted to get people opinions about the TSC countryline post hole digger. I have looked at some of the well used landpride models neer me and they seem to be about $1000 and up used. The tsc new with an auger is $700-$800. I am sure the landpride is better but I looked at one and the seller had just changed the oil, which always worries me. I also will be doing 5x5 post which I think would be a 9 inch auger? I am sure others know better than me. After the fence I think I would use it around the yard for planting, single posts etc definitely will not be used that often. I live in New England which is fairly rocky and I have a 32 hp tractor. Thank you for any guidance you can give me.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Mine (TSC) is at least 15 years old and it hangs in a tree when not used and I have never changed the gear oil as there is no way for it to get contaminated. Think I paid 500 for it way back when. When I use it, I grease the U joints and use it.

Tractor power isn't a factor as you use it with the engine idling or just above an idle.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
In rocky soil, digging post holes where posts have already been is possible but to dig a fresh hole will be challenging particularly with a 3 pt style with no down pressure. Of course "rocky soil," has different meanings in different geographic areas.

Are your neighbors using 3 pt style successfully?

Sometimes hiring someone with a serious post hole digger on a Bobcat becomes more practical and not a lot more expensive.

Dave

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
If you have the option of a hyd post hole digger it will allow you to back out if the auger gets stuck. No idea if they made them on 3 pth

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
I bought a TSC post hole digger 5 years ago with 6” and 12” augers.
I have not had any issues. I use it more than I thought I would with no regrets.

Jimc3165

Equipment
1982 B7100 HST-D
Jul 22, 2015
CLEVELAND, GA
Let me say one more thing about the cheap PH auger I purchased. I live about 3 miles from Mount Yonah in N. Ga. My spread is filled with Granite rocks. And I have yet to find an area of rocks that I cannot drill through. It is not solid rock but rocky none the less. Mine will pull the rocks up with the dirt.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
For just a few holes, rent one. It will be the cheapest by far.

Up here in the Granite State, I have never had much luck with the 3PH PHA's No down pressure and they get stuck all the time. When they get stuck , it is a real pain to disconnect them and manually turn them back out.

I use mine all the time in a lot of nasty conditions. I ended up going with a hydraulic unit and I have been very impressed with it.

Last edited:

Dippybird

Equipment
L2900
Jun 21, 2020
Ma
Mine (TSC) is at least 15 years old and it hangs in a tree when not used and I have never changed the gear oil as there is no way for it to get contaminated. Think I paid 500 for it way back when. When I use it, I grease the U joints and use it.

Tractor power isn't a factor as you use it with the engine idling or just above an idle.
Thank you

Dippybird

Equipment
L2900
Jun 21, 2020
Ma
Thank you all there are I lot of good points here. I have seen the hydraulic units and they seem great but they were a little more than I wanted to spend especially since I didn’t have remote connections. It certainly is difficult to quantify compare different soils and what I call rocky might be sandy to the next person. I am glad to hear people have not had a problem with the tsc or dirtyhand units. I think it was a great point to look around and see what over people in the area are using.

Thank you

Brazos

Equipment
L2501DT
Jul 12, 2016
Texas
I bought the one from TSC with a 9” auger and it works fine. It’s an occasional use item for me. Just don’t sink it all the way. Dig out some dirt, then pull it up, then go a little deeper, pull up, ...... It will go down in a hurry so if you let it get too deep it will get stuck.

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
I've had both.... I bought a well used Speeco that was worn loose as a goose.. I tightened all the connections with new bolts, pins, washers, welded on bushings and all it required.. Changed the oil, greased and painted... It came with a 9 and 12" augers that got straitened and new teeth.. It worked well..

Now we have a new one. Again a Speeco brand from the local farm, auto supply store when it was on special sale, deep discount.. Works well.. Both were about the same price all said and done..

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
You will find many who own and operate equipment are very willing to share with you their thoughts and experiences on equipment. Don't be afraid to strike up a conversation with a local who owns or is operating a piece of equipment you have interest in. Just be polite and ask, do you mind my asking you about .... and most are very willing to share their thoughts and experience, That is true here and in person.

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
Hi Dippybird, I have the TSC CountyLine posthole digger with a 9” auger and it works just fine in my heavy clay soil with lots of tree roots. Rental implements are not available in my area so the purchase made sense to me. I have used my high lift jack to get it out of the hole a few times. No need to “ unscrew” it with a pipe wrench as some have described. You will of course have more TPH lift force with your L. Down pressure my be your issue.

kvc

Equipment
MX 5200
Jun 26, 2020
Pemberton Australia
Interested to hear how you store your post hole diggers and how you attach them by yourself. I've recently purchased a 3PL one (no down-force hydraulic ram) with 6" auger and it weighs 110 Kgs, so not a light thing to move around by yourself and I've yet to attach this unit to my tractor - still trying to get my head around the easiest way and of course what/how/where to detach/store after use?

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
This is easier to show then describe. If you do not have a stand you can hang it from a tree or rafter.

Reactions: 1 user

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Interested to hear how you store your post hole diggers and how you attach them by yourself. I've recently purchased a 3PL one (no down-force hydraulic ram) with 6" auger and it weighs 110 Kgs, so not a light thing to move around by yourself and I've yet to attach this unit to my tractor - still trying to get my head around the easiest way and of course what/how/where to detach/store after use?
I dug a 2 foot hole with it and then dropped it into the hole for storing. If you have it in a hole, or some people attach to a tree, taking it on and off is quite easy. Remove the top link. Back up and lift the top to the top link and put the pin in. From there I just raise or lower the lift arms to the right height.

Edit...The video was posted while I was typing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

kvc

Equipment
MX 5200
Jun 26, 2020
Pemberton Australia
I dug a 2 foot hole with it and then dropped it into the hole for storing. If you have it in a hole, or some people attach to a tree, taking it on and off is quite easy. Remove the top link. Back up and lift the top to the top link and put the pin in. From there I just raise or lower the lift arms to the right height.

Edit...The video was posted while I was typing.
I had seen the video before, but don't have spare I-Beams lying around to make a stand lol...
I think the hole is by far the easiest idea but what about when it rains and the hole fills up - rusty auger or would you spray it with WD40 or diesel prior to burying it?

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL

I had seen the video before, but don't have spare I-Beams lying around to make a stand lol...
I think the hole is by far the easiest idea but what about when it rains and the hole fills up - rusty auger or would you spray it with WD40 or diesel prior to burying it?
I really have not worried about that...maybe I should. After about 1 minute of digging back to clean. You could spray it down though, good idea.