Operating LSeries w/ FEL

jbutler

Equipment
L3600
Apr 1, 2013
USA
Does anyone have an opinion (or preference) on whether or not to operate a L Series (4wd) with or without the FEL attached? Specifically while pulling either a box blade or brush hog? Thanks.

KUBOTA4900

Equipment
KUBOTA M4900SDC & LA100C LOADER,PALLET FORKS,BRUSH HOG BOX SCRAPER 3PT HITCH
Feb 3, 2013
durango colo la plata co
I have a m series and i always leve my fel on just as a counter weight
with my bush hog on it extends way beyound 6ft of my rear tires
and i run on pretty flat ground but you can never ever be to safe
my 2 cents

KenB2920

Equipment
L5240 brush hog,flail mower,wicked grapple,tiller,Danuser F-8 PHD,BB,RB 7' rake
Jun 17, 2011
Almont, mi
Mowing - nope

Box blade - depends, if I were doing a small pile, quick job on level ground nope. Something that will take a while absoultey. I love the combintaiton of using my FEL and box blade.

Rotary cutting something I have done before that is flat I Wouldn't worry about it. If it is new territory absolutely. I keep the FEL nice and low so I can find any hidden objects.

Landscape rake - nope

Just my $.02 from my very limited experience

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Pretty much like KenB2920. My L rides smoother and is more agile without the FEL, so when practical I drop it for mowing in familiar territory, but put it on for hills or unfamiliar ground to use as a "feeler'; saved damage many times. I have also used it to get out of drop offs/gullies that showed up unexpectedly in ground where it use to not be.

I pretty much use the box scraper and FEL as a pair and they often compliment each other.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I used to drop my loader for different tasks and back on for others. By far the best money I ever spent for my L3000 was putting the Kubota QA on the loader. Now the loader stays on all the time and I drop the bucket/forks/balespear off when they are not needed. When I'm doing work like raking hay I never tote the bucket or spear. If the loader isn't being used why carry the extra weight around. It's amazing the difference just dropping the bucket makes.

My thoughts, if you loader doesn't already have a quick attach look at one of those. It will make your life so much easier.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I only have the FEL on when I need it, otherwise it stays off the tractor.

I absolutely hate to mow with the FEL on! Too much weight on the front end.

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
I use a large zero turn to mow, so I can't help you there.

But with my L3200 I do pull a 6' box blade and I leave my FEL on, and I fill the bucket with gravel for ballast as well as adding about 500lbs to the 500lb box blade for additional ballast. I also have filled rears. I have given some thought to additional rear wheel weights.

Probably working the machine harder than Kubota intended, but I like to go slow and more dozer like. But other than being careful, I do watch what I am doing to keep from twisting anything as it would be easy to beat the machine to death in short order as they are not dozers....

That is what works for me.

David

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
But with my L3200 I do pull a 6' box blade and I leave my FEL on, and I fill the bucket with gravel for ballast as well as adding about 500lbs to the 500lb box blade for additional ballast. I also have filled rears. I have given some thought to additional rear wheel weights.

DAMN!!! You got an over load permit for that thing??? The only Kubota with a 5% sticker on it LOL

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
DAMN!!! You got an over load permit for that thing??? The only Kubota with a 5% sticker on it LOL
Ya, I have to admit I am probably / defiantly outside the normal envelope here!

I probably should look for a small dozer though, and save the Kubota a workout, but like most of us, I am just waiting for the economy to pick up a bit!

David

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Two concerns involving use of FEL while shredding.

1. In close quarters, like fence intersection or fence corner the loader bucket tends to get in the way, which leads the operator to raise the loader above the fence height, which can cause...

2. a ROLLOVER. Always keep the FEL as low to ground as you can. Especially if you carry front ballast to offset the weight of your shredder. These tractors typically have a wide operating envelope but on a slight incline, with your FEL fully up for obstruction clearance, that heavy bucket will flip you. Even worse with load in bucket. I've had a rear tire lift just climbing out of shallow-angle road ditch with bucket up to clear the far side.

3. BE CAREFUL. Keep Bucket DOWN. Better to use Quik-Detach and drop bucket if possible. However, in unknown territory on flat ground, using loader bucket as junk detector will save the shredder---and tires and undercarraige and nerves.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
It's so easy to get it on and off that it is only on when I want to use it. This past Saturday it was off and on twice. The most time-consuming part is jumping off the tractor and putting the support stands up/down, so why not?