One of the worst Kubota parts ever made is no longer a part of my tractor!

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
the little bx series is marketed more toward first time tractor owners. Most first timers have no clue how to run a tractor, much less maintain one. After all, they are first timers. City slickers who have 1 acre and decide they need a tractor are a prime market.

So what Kubota (and deere and even mahindra to an extent) did was to make a tractor that is supposedly easy to take the loader off and store it, much the same for the backhoe. That way the owner could just run the belly mower and cut the yard. IF they want the loader back on, supposedly it is marketed to be "easy" to install. And, if everything is right, it is.

Similarly the drive-over mower deck design. STUPID design, IMO. Way too many ways for a non-knowing consumer to screw that up, and they often do, causing bent/broken parts. They can get real expensive.

It's marketing tactics. If Kubota says that the loader and deck come off faster than Deere's setup, they might be able to sell more tractors. Competition.

But what I saw much of, was poorly thought-out designs which ultimately make it a little harder, counterproductive to the original "thought". I hated that about them, but no amount of griping on my end did a lick of good. Myself and the sales guys often asked the GM not to order the drive-over decks, and just get the regular decks, which IMO are much easier to remove. And, there is no "quick attach" left on the arms to hang up on, well about everything.

Part of makin the loader "easy" to remove was the use of the one-piece hydraulic manifold. The flat faced connectors, that are very prone to leakage, and for a lot of reasons. Again there's too many things to go wrong with that setup. Kubota knows it, dealers know it, techs know it, and owners know it. But marketing department says "this is how it's gonna be done". Marketing wins.

I am led to believe that the next generation of BX's will have a different design. No telling how much money the current design has cost kubota in terms of warranty costs. It's got to be on up there. Similarly the original design Kommander 100 series mowers....I am not sure how they made any money on those with all the many warranty claims. The newer ones (Z200 series) are a LOT better.

Mrlunchbox

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2023 BX2380 loader/mower. Land Pride snow pusher, Kapteyn pallet forks
Nov 21, 2020
Southern Worcester County, MA
My 1880 leaked day one. Got it replaced under warranty, no issues for years. Recently got a 2380 and no issues whatsoever. Seems like its hit or miss.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Multicouplers are expensive gadgets and were developed for use on high end machines. You will find multicouplers on many (most?) of the big AG stuff. Here is one on a big JD - around 1:40 into the video. So the idea is fine and works in general - Kubota just seems to have botched the execution of their baby sized version.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
The 2x2 'square' seems to be a better 'design' than the 'inline 1x4' .
I'm betting K went '1x4' due to space considerations ?
Quick connect hydraulic manifolds on my L6060 and M9960 are cat's meow.

Very convenient and have never leaked a drop.

Bri-Guy-GA

Equipment
Kubota BX1880
Sep 10, 2020
Villa Rica, GA
I have the 1x4 on my BX1880 and the only time it leaks is when I have a hose get loose and if I lift the front end off the ground so I can work under the tractor. Otherwise its been great and I take my loader off every weekend to mow.