One more time about Bio fuel

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Ok so its not really biofuel,,, but I do have a question and Im not looking for the THE COMAPNY SAYS NO TO kind of answer.
A guy I met in PT has an older BX 2350, he swears that he runs just cooking oil mixed with 50% diesel fuel in all of his diesel toys, Ford truck late 90's, VW bug late mdl, his BX and says he has never had a problem with anything.
But in the winter he runs just pump diesle in everything, no filter problems no starting problems nada,, sooo really whats the deal??

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Skeets,
Tell us all about it after you try it! Filter the heck out of the oil. See if the tractor exhaust smells like french fries.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Hmmm I was kind of hopping that some else may have tried it:rolleyes: His VW doesnt seem to have any ill effects and it has well over a 100,000 miles on it.. I mean the darn things were make to run on peanut oil,,

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I have a friend that has a bio-diesel plant in his barn. Makes his own fuel from used cooking oil and yes it smells like french fries. Being around his tractors always makes me want a burger.

As far as straight oil goes I met a guy with a Ford F 350 pulling a hot shot trailer. He had a tank built for the bed and had went all out. It had a built in water jacket and was plumbed to the trucks cooling system. The tank had a fuel guage and a temp guage as well. He claimed he pumped the used oil from containers thru a filter into his tank. He said warm weather it ran fine on just the oil alone. Cold weather he had to start the truck and run it on diesel until the oil temp was up enough that it wouldn't gell and then he would switch it over to the straight oil and hammer down. When I saw the truck it has a little over 150K and the factory guage showed 1/4 tank. The thing that was interesting about that is he said that was what was left of the first fill up when he bought the truck new.

He may be full of crap but it was a good story and I did see the tank in the bed myself. As much as I hate buying this high priced fuel I think I'll just stay with it for now and leave the oil for fries.

Thrawn

Equipment
B5001E
Sep 29, 2012
hortense, ga, usa
The only problems you'll encounter running vegetable oil in your diesel motor is a increased possibility of gelling in cold weather (especially if it contains animal fats from cooking meats) and plugged fuel filters if it wasn't fltered.

Although I have no idea if it'll work in newer engines using DEF systems. Probably work in those as well though.