? on rear blade length

TxBigRed

Dec 17, 2017
US
Hello,
I've been looking at rear blades for driveway and ditch maintenance. I have a Kubota Grand L 3240 and was thinking of getting a 84" blade, but owners manual states 72" as max width. Can my tractor handle a 84"?

Thanks,

Dave

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Can it handle it,,maybe it depends what your doing. Many people over size their equipment, and find out they made a mistake, sometimes bigger aint better!
You have to understand what your going to do, then how much material your going to try to be moving, now figure in the weight of the machine ground engagement and a ton of other stuff. If the OEM calls for a 72 stick with that. Besides what ever your doing if you have to make 2 passes that just gives you more seat time :D

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
Think of it like this, an 84" blade at a 45* is less than 5' wide. Yes your tractor will handle an 84" rear blade just fine.

I recommend something over 500lbs if you actually want to get some work done. A Land Pride RB3784 would be a very good match for your tractor.

Be sure to get skid shoes with what ever you get. If they are not available with that blade, then don't get that blade and look at one that does have them available.

A good rear blade is not going to be inexpensive unless you can find a used one.

Good luck. ;)

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
get the 7 footer. Should not be a problem at all.

TxBigRed

Dec 17, 2017
US
Thanks for all of your replies. I was looking at the Everything Attachments extreme duty blade, which looks alot like the Land Pride RB3784. It is a little lighter than the rb3784, but still over 500 lbs. As far as the skid shoes go, are they used for anything other than snow removal? If not, probably wouldn't get much use here is Texas.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
Thanks for all of your replies. I was looking at the Everything Attachments extreme duty blade, which looks alot like the Land Pride RB3784. It is a little lighter than the rb3784, but still over 500 lbs. As far as the skid shoes go, are they used for anything other than snow removal? If not, probably wouldn't get much use here is Texas.

You would use them for everything other than creating a ditch. I have and use the skid shoes every time I use my rear blade.

Attachments

TxBigRed

Dec 17, 2017
US
You would use them for everything other than creating a ditch. I have and use the skid shoes every time I use my rear blade.
So, let's say for driveway maint., Are they used to control how far down you scrape? I understand for snow removal, just new to this and eager to learn!

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
Skid shoes are supposed to keep the blade at a certain height. Some guys like them better than others. Ideally, they ride on a surface firm enough to support the weight of the blade. Prime examples would be asphalt, concrete, and frozen ground. They are just another tool that CAN be used but, are not a requirement for good results.

Mount your blade and level it side to side for most applications. You can make the cutting action more, or less aggressive by adjusting your top-link. Shorter for more float, longer for more cutting action. Then, get used to the controls on your tractor. Go slow and use small inputs on the lift arm control until you get the hang of it.

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
So, let's say for driveway maint., Are they used to control how far down you scrape? I understand for snow removal, just new to this and eager to learn!

I can set mine in 1" increments from taking a 2" cut to having the cutting edge 2" about the ground which would be for snow I would guess. Some are set with washers, so you can get the different heights regulated very close, I have not had a need for anything that exacting.

Yes you can get by without them fine, but life sure is easier with them. My first rear blade did not have them, so I know the difference having them and not having them.

No they don't serve a purpose when dealing with any soft surface, but if you can walk on the surface and not sink in, then they will help out.

Again, yes you can get by without them, but I have found that they help out in almost every condition that I come across.

Well worth the small amount of $$$ that they add to the overall cost of the implement IMO. ;)

TxBigRed

Dec 17, 2017
US
I really appreciate all of your advise and taking the time to answer my questions. So, 84" would be fine for my machine, get at least one that weighs 500lbs and get one with shoes. EA has an extreme duty one that meets those. Anyone have any opinions on their scrapers? This is the one I'm thinking about. Thanks again

Dave

https://www.everythingattachments.com/Tractor-Rear-Scrape-Blades-p/eta-xd-sblade.htm

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
I really appreciate all of your advise and taking the time to answer my questions. So, 84" would be fine for my machine, get at least one that weighs 500lbs and get one with shoes. EA has an extreme duty one that meets those. Anyone have any opinions on their scrapers? This is the one I'm thinking about. Thanks again

Dave

https://www.everythingattachments.com/Tractor-Rear-Scrape-Blades-p/eta-xd-sblade.htm

The ETA rear blades are decent, but for about $150 more you can have a LP RB3784 that weighs 20% more. Weight is your friend when it comes to grading. I also prefer the rolled moldboard vs the press bent moldboards. Nothing wrong with either unit and either would serve you well. I just prefer the LP unit over all. ;)

TxBigRed

Dec 17, 2017
US
The ETA rear blades are decent, but for about $150 more you can have a LP RB3784 that weighs 20% more. Weight is your friend when it comes to grading. I also prefer the rolled moldboard vs the press bent moldboards. Nothing wrong with either unit and either would serve you well. I just prefer the LP unit over all. ;)
Thanks MtnViewRanch, I'll have to check out some local dealers in the Houston area.

TxBigRed

Dec 17, 2017
US
Well, I talked to a dealer about the rp3784. They had a good price on it, but he is trying to talk me out of the 7' blade and getting the 6' blade. He believes that I will not have enough traction with unloaded R4 tires that it will likely get pulled sideways, especially when using offset cleaning out a ditch. Can anyone enlighten me on this. I would like to have the extra length when the blade angle is 30 or greater, but I don't want to get more blade than my tractor can handle. All input is greatly appreciated.

Dave

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
Well, I talked to a dealer about the rp3784. They had a good price on it, but he is trying to talk me out of the 7' blade and getting the 6' blade. He believes that I will not have enough traction with unloaded R4 tires that it will likely get pulled sideways, especially when using offset cleaning out a ditch. Can anyone enlighten me on this. I would like to have the extra length when the blade angle is 30 or greater, but I don't want to get more blade than my tractor can handle. All input is greatly appreciated.

Dave

You can always take a smaller bite, but if the blade is simply to small, well you could always go and buy a 7 footer.

Get the 7 foot blade. They both have their issues with your tractor. I believe that you will be happier with the RB3784, than the RB3772. ;)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Simple and smart solution, get the tires loaded! :D
The extra rear weight helps with just about every job.
Mowing a soft lawn would be about the only job that that might work against you. ;)