Older Curtis cab parts

Oo-v-oO

Equipment
2000 B7500
Oct 31, 2021
Central NH
I have a Curtis #133322 cab on my '00 B7500. It has a glass windshield but clear plastic windows and fabric panels sewn over a metal framework for the doors. They have pretty much given up the ghost and I need to do something to repair them. I sent an E-mail to Curtis asking if they still supported this cab since it was not listed on their website, either for whole doors or just the fabric as a kit. If not, did they have any suggestions?
Received this back as their reply:
Sorry no we do not offer parts for that model anymore. You can bring the frames to a marine cover shop or canvas shop and sometimes automotive interior shops to make new skins for them.
So, I guess I'll be seeing if any boat shops are still open, or looking for someone else that can do it. Bummer.

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
I have the same cab on my B7510 so this discussion is of great interest to me.

Having restored another cab in the past few years, I know that I had no difficulty in getting excellent auto glass custom cut for the cab. I suspect I could get glass made to replace the plastic windows, or just cut some Lexan or similar plastic.

I've given a lot of thought to the doors and have come to the conclusion they can be pretty easily skinned in thin steel with some good MIG welding and a little reinforcement using bracing rods. Or just skin them in thin sheet plastic mounted to tabs welded onto the existing steel rod frame.

Reactions: 1 user

Oo-v-oO

Equipment
2000 B7500
Oct 31, 2021
Central NH
I suppose if you were going to use sheet plastic then something like 1/8" Lexan would be ideal. Tough, clear, easily worked. Not cheap, though.

Mine was missing the back panel that Velcros in when I got it, so I found a piece of scrap Lexan at work and used a propane torch to bend a tab at the top inward and hook under the roof. It just pops in with no fasteners, just the springiness of the material to retain it. It doesn't seal up tight, but keeps the vast majority of the breeze and wind-blown snow out of the cab - and the back opening is still clear to see through. It is good enough that last winter I could blow snow in a light jacket with the heater on.

Hmm... We have shipping containers at work that get tossed in the metal recycling which are skinned with thin sheet metal. I could see using that material at least partially on the doors.

Still... I would have liked to have gotten factory stuff to replace my door material. I will see if I can find anybody local that does this kind of work and see what they can offer, as well.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Ask a local auto dealer who they use for upholstery repairs in your area. What you want to look for in an auto trim shop.

Reactions: 1 user