OLD Oil Brands Story

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
The current thread on what oil to use reminded me of an old oil preference experience I had years ago. I present it as entertainment, not pertinent to tractors or today's oils. Sorry in advance for the long post.

Back in the early '70s my best friend & I each had Honda CB500 Fours, and we bought another for drag racing- all 3 where tuned & driven the same, street & strip, & had the same equipment. All were nearly new. He ran Pennzoil, I ran Valvoline, & the 3rd ran Castrol. His was always slowest, then mine, & the Castrol machine was always fastest.
After about a year of street & strip, the Pennzoil machine had just finished a quarter mile run & sounded funny, so we pulled the dipstick immediately and were shocked when most of the oil volcanoed out as foam…. looked like shaving cream!

An investigation was in order, so we tore it down. The inside of the engine was black, and every bearing surface showed burning, galling, & measurable wear. A little scared now, we tore the other two down as well.

The Valvoline engine was spotless, and showed absolutely no wear…. I mean none…..you'd be hard pressed to tell the engine had ever been run!
The Çastrol engine was clean, but all the bearing surfaces looked slightly dull or frosted, and it had the most wear….. a lot of wear, loose & noisy, most wear surfaces at or near rebuild specs.

Baffled, we contacted all three oil companies & got nowhere with Pennzoil & Castrol, but the Valvoline rep had some interesting info for us.
He claimed that Pennzoil was intended for low revving older car engines & had no anti-foaming additives, not suitable for our 10,500rpm engines.
He claimed Castrol had a micro abrasive in it that actually lapped high spots & interference from bearing surfaces to lessen friction in a new engine…. the problem was that it kept lapping away after break in, producing accelerated wear.
Of course, he had a big sales pitch for Valvoline being the best, & I agreed, at least in this case. His take certainly supported what we saw in the 3 engines.

My buddy sold the Pennzoil bike, & took the Castrol machine as his (now running Valvoline) and rode it until it was stolen. It was always killer fast. I was hit on my CB450 soon afterwards & got out of motorcycles for several years.

I'm sure it has no bearing on today's oils or engines, just an interesting story.

SteveF

Equipment
BX25
May 15, 2013
Huntingdon, PA
Lil Foot, thanks for sharing your experience. I used Pennzoil in my 1997 gas RAM 360 for many years and was going to comment accordingly but after re-reading your post, I am thankful that you brought it up. When there is that kind of real first hand experience it's just not reasonable to refute, especially when all the selling companies want to do is sell their product. Thanks again!

Hope you're fully recovered from your mc crash. I just worry about my three boys tooling around on their Harley's.

jeep08ham

Equipment
B7500
Aug 22, 2011
Fair Grove, Mo
Having spent over 50 years as a mechanic, I too have some oil storys. The most sludge I saw on a regular basis was with Penzoil. Also it appeared after talking with the owners, this oil was consumed at frequent intervals.

As to Valveoling and Castrol. Both are excellent oils. I am not fond of Valveoline due to them having a history of being a huge supporter of Hand Gun Control. At present time I have a 98 Plymouth Voyage van with in excess of 292,000 miles all on Castrol with zero problems. Still running strong. My last Ford Ranger had 278,000 miles all on Castrol when I sold it and it now has in excess of 300K and is still running for the high school boy I sold it too.

For diesel engines, I prefer Rotella T 15w40. Our last Dodge with Cummins had approximately 431, 000 when I old it to a farmer 8 years ago. Today it has in excess of 600K miles and still the head and pan have never been removed. These are my experiences!

SteveF

Equipment
BX25
May 15, 2013
Huntingdon, PA
Lost a 225 slant six on Castrol in '84.........ain't touched it since.
murph, you're giving mopar a bad name... I've had my share of 225's (Dart, Valiant, etc) and a bunch of 318's and they would run on the 2 gal containers of re-refined 30w crap that ruined the bar on my first chain saw - circa 1969. lol.

SteveF

Equipment
BX25
May 15, 2013
Huntingdon, PA
For diesel engines, I prefer Rotella T 15w40. Our last Dodge with Cummins had approximately 431, 000 when I old it to a farmer 8 years ago. Today it has in excess of 600K miles and still the head and pan have never been removed. These are my experiences!
Welcome to OTT jeepster. I have 118' 000 on my '06 5.9 cummins and use RotellaT... good to know if I take care of her she'll be around longer than me.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I had a 1965 Olds that I did a little work to. It had a 495 that was pushing 600+ HP (hemi killer) and it ran on 20-50 Castrol for its entire life, never spun a bearing or had any oil related failures.
It was a little tough getting it to fire up when temps were in at freezing mark or below, but a move to AZ cured that problem.
I wouldn't consider running anything that thick in anything I have now, lighter works better on newer engines.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Hope you're fully recovered from your mc crash. I just worry about my three boys tooling around on their Harley's.
SteveF- Thanks for your concern, no problems, I limped & the left hand didn't for awhile, but that was years ago, and I've owned a small parade of bikes since then. Could never see the money for a Harley, especially in the earlier years, when my little Hondas could whoop their a$$. Wouldn't mind having one these days, just can't afford it.:eek:

Steamguy

Equipment
BX2370
Having spent over 50 years as a mechanic, I too have some oil storys. The most sludge I saw on a regular basis was with Penzoil....
I had a '65 Ford F100 "Farmer Pickup" (4-speed Six with compound, long bed, stepside, tan, beat-up bed) that I got for a song, back in the early '70s. Guy told me "Yup, used Pennzoil in 'er, from Day One! Always give me good service!" When I asked why he was selling it, he said it was using a lot of oil for 35,000 miles.

Few days into driving the truck, I'm having to add oil WAY short of the interval on the door sticker, and what's in there had looked pretty bad, so I decided that night after we closed, I'd just change it. Ye gods, the filter must have weighed six pounds, so I decided I'd better pull the valve cover and drop the oil pan. What was in that engine looked like tar, so I cleaned out what I could see, did a flush with cheap oil and a can of flush. Chunks of goop were coming out the oil drain, so I put Rotella T in it as a refill to help clean it out.

About 800 miles later, the lifters started clattering, so I changed oil again. And once again, goopy, tarry stuff came out the drain. But a lot less of it. And after that change, the truck started running a LOT better. More power, better mileage (such as it was) and a LOT smoother. After that I'd just change oil whenever the lifters started making noise. Had that truck for a number of years.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Guy told me "Yup, used Pennzoil in 'er, from Day One! Always give me good service!" When I asked why he was selling it, he said it was using a lot of oil for 35,000 miles.
That's classic! LMFAO!