Old L245 oil light comes on after 10 min.

tsinclai

Equipment
L245 tractor
Jan 7, 2014
howell Mi
I have a 77 L245 in rough shape. I rebuilt the top end and now after about 10 min. of use the oil light comes on and stays on. It seems to run fine I have put about 10 hours on it after the rebuild with no priblem. I do have a oil leak in the front somewhere that I have not located yet. I did read about the cam plug in a post and I will check that out. It is just odd that it takes 10 minutes for the light to come on. Any ideas? Thanks, Tim

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
It could be that the oil pressure is good until the oil gets up to temp then gets thinner, thus the 10 minutes. I'd get a gauge and screw it in where the sender is and read the pressure. If good, replace the sender, if bad, rebuild the lower end.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
As suggested, it could be the oil pressure drops enough for the light to come on after warming up. I think the light comes on at 7 PSI. But put a gauge on it and know the number. If it's low you can do a search on the forum and get additional information, but I have removed the front of the engine to get to the camshaft end and welded a tapered roller bearing in it. Not too big of a deal. Easier then rebuilding the bottom end, and you could do that and still have the same problem.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Could be the oil pump is getting weak, and I have seen a cracked pick up tube do exactly what you are describing. Just replaced the camshaft plug in mine. Scraping the gaskets was the hard part. The plug is only $4 thru kubota. :)