Old dog, new trick

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Friend removing stumps over and around buried utility lines showed me the advantage of a grading or toothless backhoe bucket. Lot less risk of hooking or damaging buried lines. The QA buckets for the B26 have bolt on teeth so it was easy to remove three from the 12” bucket. Yesterday repaired, replaced a section of black iron waterline under the driveway. The toothless bucket worked better at uncovering and digging beside the line on both sides of the driveway where the line could be cut and threaded. Then dug new line ditch between the sides about a foot deeper. Old line removed. Driveway has changed some in 80 years. New 30’ of 1” black polyethylene pipe inside 4” black corrugated drain pipe for protection.

Toothless bucket does take some technique to shave thru soil but leaves a clean, solid bottom ditch. Lot less risk of damaging buried lines.

Reactions: 4 users

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Just remember that you should always call utilities protection unless you are absolutely sure there's nothing but your own buried pipes and wires in the area. Actually in Ohio you're supposed to call even then.

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Just remember that you should always call utilities protection unless you are absolutely sure there's nothing but your own buried pipes and wires in the area. Actually in Ohio you're supposed to call even then.
That is why in Kansas and Missouri it is called "Dig Safe" or "One Call". What is often left unclear is even with called in locates the contractor is to hand dig within 24" (both sides) of a located line. I've known homeowners who call for locates then use a post hole digger (putting up a fence), and all the holes were within the 24" limit. They didn't understand that responsibility.

1-800-DIG-SAFE | Lakin, KS - Lakin, Kansas
Contact 1-800-DIG-SAFE before you dig! "Kansas One-Call" is the underground utility notification center for the state of Kansas. Through this facility, you can notify operators of underground facilities of proposed excavations to request that the underground facilities be marked BEFORE YOU DIG!

Last edited:

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
That’s good advise about calling. My friend had 10 different lines around or under 3 tree stumps from 21 trees removed from property line. Using a auger stump planer and backhoe ripper successfully removed them all with no utility line damaged. Had his own detection equipment. Radio frequency and magnetometer. He also called 811 and had lines professionally detected and marked. He learned a lot from the professional. He checked frequently while digging and augering. Radio frequency unit also tells depth.

Slow and steady wins the race with this type of work. He was able to save about $25k+ to a contractor over four weeks doing it himself with a M59.

About the only hand shoveling was moving loose soil to backhoe up.

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
If it were possible to make headway without teeth in my black clay I'd have several other things to be thankful for. It's like 3,000 psi concrete when dry and bubble gum when wet. Your body pays the price after a day running a backhoe.

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Had a excavation job over 3 24 inch gass lines at work last summer. Nervous the whole time even though the gas company guy was there whole time.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Watched some workers dig out water lines wrapped in tree roots next to 2 water meters the other day.
They used a water jet - (pressure washer) and a 4" vacuum tube attached to a truck.
That and a cordless sawzall to cut the roots. It worked incredibly well.
Dug a 3 x 4 hole, 2 feet deep in about 45 minutes, and nothing damaged.
Kinda had to see it to believe it.

It reminded me of the long days in a hole as young man digging around gas and water lines. Man, something like that would have saved so much time and work.

Not an endorsement... but it's kinda lile this; https://youtube.com/shorts/xV3Q9hBG41w?feature=shared

This short shows unburying fiber cables with other lines. I want one hooked to the 3 pt.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users