Oil Seepage from top of Transmission Housing

thespanishfarmer

Equipment
L1501 with rotavator and brush cutter
Apr 28, 2012
Cocentaina - Spain
Hi all.

I have a recently aquired a L1501 (or L185 if you prefer)

I don't know if any one has experienced this problem or indeed can offer some advice on how to solve it but yesterday whilst using my brushcutter, I noticed that the top of the transmission housing around the gear lever and pto lever, was wet with oil. Using it again today, the amount of oil was more pronounced and was actually running down the casing.
I would assume that a seal has gone somewhere but being a new owner (3 weeks), I would like some words of wisdom from you guys before I contemplate putting spanner to metal.
Living in Spain, obtaining new seals might be a bit of a problem but I will try getting back to the supplier for his thoughts too.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

One final thought, what oil is recommended for the gearbox/hydraulics and for that matter the engine please. I do not have an owners manual but am waiting for a workshop manual to be delivered as we speak.

Gary

Last edited:

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Allmost always caused by the vent being stopped up. Should be under the seat somewhere. Dirt daubers, mud wasp, what ever you call them are usually the cause.

thespanishfarmer

Equipment
Apr 28, 2012
Cocentaina - Spain
Thanks for the reply. Logical really when you think about it. I will have a look for the vent.
I will put the spanners back in the box.
Gary

thespanishfarmer

Equipment
Apr 28, 2012
Cocentaina - Spain
Excellent advice ipz2222.

I removed the breather tube and it was chocablock with a rusty coloured but very dry crud. It was only in the tube and not back in the crankcase. Cleaned out the tube and screwed it back in then with a good cleaning with Gunk to get the oil of the housing and a wash and dry off and it was out onto the land to get the grass cut. There does not appear to be any oil seeping out now.

I will know in the future and now so will others if they read this. Such a simple remedy if you know what to look for.

Many thanks again.

For the info of kuboman, the oil appears clean and not foamy so I do not think it is tainted with water.

Gary