Odd Colored Piston Head

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Based on these measurements, my plan was to lightly hone the cylinders at this point and replace the pistons, rings, and connecting rod bearings. What do you think?
Sounds good to me, just be sure and put a good crosshatch pattern in the liners. You will probably be able to see the original pattern in the liners, just try to match it.

jetattblue

Equipment
BX1800; L2550
Mar 14, 2018
Arlington, TX
Quick update on this project. I have ordered 3 new piston assemblies, crankshaft bearings, head gasket, fuel injectors, and some other misc. parts. I ordered everything from Messicks, and I hope to have those things in the next couple of weeks. They had to order a few of the items directly from Kubota.

In the meantime, I purchased some honing oil and a flex hone. Based on my measurements, I'm planning a light hone; just enough to get a good cross-hatch pattern in each cylinder bore. Any helpful hints on this process? The crankshaft is still installed and, based on what I've read, I need to place some rags or other protection over it while honing.

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
I did a cylinder honing years ago on a Dodge V8. There is a small area at the top of the cylinder where the rings never touch. Just below that was a small area where the hone never touched. I picked up a “Ridge Reamer” to clean off the ridge. I had heard that if not removed the new rings could hit that ridge and break. I did the job 30+ years ago. The only thing I remember is I drove that van for a few years after that.