Obviously I am Doing something (everything) wrong..

jaargh

Equipment
BX1880V w/LA344 FEL, BB1248 Scraper, RCR1248 Brush Mower, 60" Rock Rake
Mar 30, 2021
southern california
I have kicked...tugged and pried and I can not get the lift arms off the pins on my brush hog.... appreciate any advice on this....

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
Soak with penatrant (Kroil, Liquid Wrench...etc) for several days. Then use AIR HAMMER. (should be able to rent one for the day)
Make sure your compressor is up to the task.

UPDATE: If it is BRAND NEW.... ask the dealership to help out (perhaps loan you the air-hammer)

jaargh

Equipment
Mar 30, 2021
southern california
Soak with penatrant (Kroil, Liquid Wrench...etc) for several days. Then use AIR HAMMER. (should be able to rent one for the day)
Make sure your compressor is up to the task.

UPDATE: If it is BRAND NEW.... ask the dealership to help out (perhaps loan you the air-hammer)
i have an air hammer.... are you saying on a brand new tractor i have to beat it apart??

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Hate to ask this but are your check chains and turnbuckles or stabilizer arms adjusted to allow the lift arms to swing out and away from the pins? Or is it obvious that the lift arm balls are "froze" on the pins?

Reactions: 2 users

jaargh

Equipment
Mar 30, 2021
southern california
Hate to ask this but are your check chains and turnbuckles or stabilizer arms adjusted to allow the lift arms to swing out and away from the pins? Or is it obvious that the lift arm balls are "froze" on the pins?
there is free play in the turn buckles and i gotta say... for what this cost and literally being brand new... soaking it with penetrant, letting it set for several days then beating the freaking thing apart... totally unacceptable!

Reactions: 1 user

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
So If understanding you correctly it appears as if the balls at the ends of the lift arms are rusted or froze onto the pin itself?

jaargh

Equipment
Mar 30, 2021
southern california
So If understanding you correctly it appears as if the balls at the ends of the lift arms are rusted or froze onto the pin itself?
yes....
Yes.. they seem to be frozen to the pins.. arms rotate on the balls but won't budge... Impliment is sitting on the ground and all pressure is bled from system

Attachments

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Thanks for the picture! From my experience that is a strange one. I guess dirt of just the right size has gotten in between the pin and inside bore of the ball but I have never experienced this issue.
Sorry your having this trouble with a new machine!

jaargh

Equipment
Mar 30, 2021
southern california
Thanks for the picture! From my experience that is a strange one. I guess dirt of just the right size has gotten in between the pin and inside bore of the ball but I have never experienced this issue.
Sorry your having this trouble with a new machine!
thanks for trying

kcs

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Jan 9, 2021
Virginia
I would call the dealer and tell him he needs to come and fix this problem. If you have less than a week

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
Granted it is new and should not have happened. How big of a deal is it for you to get the dealer out? I think if you tap the lift arm with a dead blow hammer (plastic) it will probably come right off without damaging the arm /paint. Strange that it seized as usually there is a little play in the pins.

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Is there down ward pressure on your lift arms? There’s a point that takes the pressure off and let’s them move freely too a point. On mine there’s very little room to work and move the arms past the mower pins. Once you get them off invest in A quick hitch if you plan on taking implements on and off frequently, you’ll save yourself a lot of headaches.

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
I put my brush mower on something like a block or piece of wood in the front so I’m not having to lower the arms all the way down.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
get the correct size 'pickle fork' between hog and arm, few whacks, arm WILL come off
if you need extra spacers, large wrenches works well
once off .clean real good and slather on the neversieze.....

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
Had this happen to me once. My problem was too much slack in the turnbuckle causing it to lock up. Tightened it a couple of turns and it came off no problem. Hope that helps

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
yes....

Yes.. they seem to be frozen to the pins.. arms rotate on the balls but won't budge... Impliment is sitting on the ground and all pressure is bled from system
That is dirty. I would blow it off, spray it clean with some brake cleaner hoping to break/flush some more of that dirt loose, and then lube well. Also, make sure you are on a level ground, twisting of the deck can create a bind making it more difficult to get off.

The nice thing with a QH, this isn't a problem.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
If your implements hitch pins are mounted wide apart from each other (especially if your tractors lift arm spread is narrow to begin with) it can be a struggle to install/remove them. Also, from the picture....there might be a heavy coat of gray paint inside the swivel that is not helping. Mounting the hitch pins turned to the inside might be the answer if the problem is due to the wide distance between the implements hitch pins.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I have never used a quick hitch but have used a 3 point on several tractors for about 44 years so I feel your frustration. I don’t know you’re level of experience with 3 points so I hope I’m not insulting you with this answer.

First, looking at the photo it appears the whole lift arm, including the pin ball is quite rusty or maybe it’s gobbed up with paint. That’s odd on a new machine. I would speak to the dealer if it’s rusty.

If the balls are seized in the arms, you should be able to raise the mower deck off the ground, loosen or remove the stabilizers to allow as much side to side movement as possible and then push the deck side to side (as in get off the tractor while the deck is in the air with PTO off and shove it around by hand). That will break the balls loose from the lift arm if they’re seized by paint, rust, etc.

Second, we’ll assume there’s nothing restricting the lateral movement of the lift arms as I believe you already said the stabilizer links are loose. Personally, I have struggled to remove lift arms until I realized I forgot to disengage the stabilizers.

Third possibility: you think you have the pressure off the pins, and looking at it, it looks like you have the pressure off the pins, but you don’t have the pressure off the pins. The front of the mower should be resting on the ground. If the top link won’t allow that, shorten it until it does. Go ahead and disconnect the top link from the implement. Make sure the lift lever is all the way down so it’s floating. Shorten/lengthen the height adjustment turnbuckle on the adjustable lift arm until the pin is loose. If the top link and one lift arm are off and you have the three point lever all the way down, the last one should come off without a fight.

Last resort, which I have had rare occasion to use when something has to be removed on very uneven ground or is otherwise in an unavoidable bind: I have a 9lb hammer. Usually persuades the pins and arms to separate without penetrating oil. My Dad has a 16lb hammer. Never seen it fail. Admittedly you can’t get much of a stroke on it due to space restrictions so you can only hit it so hard, which is why the inertia of a big, fat, hammer is useful. If you’re concerned about bumming up the paint on your lift arms with a steel hammer, don’t use a steel hammer. I’m not sure why anyone would be concerned about bumming up the paint on a lift arm but not my tractor.

Last edited: