Nuts on Land Pride rotary cutter were absurdly tight

thedevilyoulove

Equipment
L3901 HST with LA525 FEL, Land Pride RCF2572, pallet forks, 3 pt carry all
Jan 27, 2016
Woodbine, Maryland
I have a Land Pride RCF2072, I purchased it brand new last May. I removed the blades today to have them sharpened. For some reason, the nuts that hold on the blades were stupidly tight. I meant really, really freaking tight. Google says they were torqued at the factory to 450 lbs and I believe it.

To get them off, I had to use a 3/4" drive ratchet with the proper socket (I think it was 1- 11/16 but don't quite recall) and a pipe that was 20 feet long slipped over the ratchet for leverage to get those nuts moving. Totally absurd.

Anyone else have trouble removing the blade nuts on their rotary cutter?

[/URL][/IMG]

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Its a common problem. I always paint the bolts and nuts, with anti-sieze compound, whenever I get another Bush hog, they only need to be torqued down enough to squash the lock washer, under the nut. When I put them back together, I only use the length of the wrench, as the torque limiter.

I had to torque the drive motor nut, on a zero turn hyd motor, on an old gravely, once, to 300 FP. And that was about what it took to make the wheel spin against the chock! Lucky for me it didn't require more, as I don't know how I would've accomplished that, without gaining more weight...:D:D

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
Why remove them?
I just hit mine with a 4-1/2" angle grinder with an aggressive grinding wheel. I raise it all the way up then raise it more with my hydraulic top link, block it there and grind.
Heck, five minutes of use and they are almost like when I started. If I remember right, they were never meant to be razor sharp anyway.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
The mower i had was like that too, had to replace blades, were crazy tight.

A few weeks back i needed to overhaul a 3/4 ton rear end, crush sleeve on pinion needs about 450. Was a huge battle. Made a yoke wrench and used a 7 foot pipe.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I tried the same thing on my ol' howse 5' hog - had a six foot cheater bar, Never got it to break free - went the other route - the crawl up under with grinder way!:D:)

chieffan

Equipment
B7100HST w/RC60-71B Deck
Jan 12, 2016
SW Iowa Adams county
I borrow the neighbors 10' bush hog from time to time. He uses all bat wings now the 10' is just an extra. I lift it up on end with the loader and grind the knives standing with the 8" grinder. As was mentioned they do not need to be razor sharp. And don't overheat the edge to where it turns blue. Softens the metal and wears way fast.

yamatitan

Equipment
L3901
Jun 28, 2015
Louisiana
You guys are going about this all wrong. 3/4" air impact wrenches (1400 ft/lbs) are only a couple hundred bucks even less if you wait for a coupon at harbor frieght. They will cranks those nuts right off.

I personally use a 1/2" M18 Milwaukee about 1100ft/lbs never tried it on a bushhog but im betting it would break it loose too.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
There are torque multipliers that will allow you to get them loose with little trouble and more importantly to get them torqued to the correct value when installing.

And PB Blaster applied for several days will usually help a lot to get them off whatever methods used.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk