Not What I Expected

Outnumbered

Equipment
Kubota L3901, FEL, BB1260, RCF2060, FDR2572, Titan Forks, Caryall, 5' Tiller
Oct 26, 2019
Moseley, VA
Went down to the barn to grab the tractor and haul some supplies down to the back field. Hopped on the tractor and turned the key, once the glow plug light went out I cranked the engine and heard all kinds of noise and slapping around that was clearly not normal (and I am hard of hearing). The engine started and I immediately cut it off as I knew something had happened. I opened the hood and could see something around the radiator fan shaft. I thought I don't remember the fan belt being that wide and went to grab some tools and a light as it is shaded pretty good in the barn. Once I had my light I discovered what the problem was. :confused: A 4 foot black snake must have been resting up in the radiator shroud when the fan blade grabbed him up and spun him around like a noodle. No damage to the tractor but the snake did not fare the same. Oh well, live in the country is never dull.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Been there, done that.
Had the exact same thing happen with a Toyota LandCruiser and a cat. Hope it was quick for the cat, because the cleanup wasn't.

Reactions: 1 user

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I keep the hood up on my tractor to discourage critters from getting in it. Poor snake.

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
Glad there was no damage to your tractor.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Been there, done that.
Had the exact same thing happen with a Toyota LandCruiser and a cat. Hope it was quick for the cat, because the cleanup wasn't.
Had the same thing happen when my wife and I were first going together. We were at her parents house when the neighbor across the street came over and asked me if I'd mind taking what was left of their cat from under the hood of his car, not pretty.

Couple days ago I was moving one of my wood piles and when I lifted a couple logs 3 or 4 young garter snakes made me step back a bit. I don't mind snakes at all, well at least the kind we have here but for some reason they always make me jump back a bit when they take me by surprise. I ended up catching three of them and relocating them to the new pile, a happy ending this time.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Couple days ago I was moving one of my wood piles and when I lifted a couple logs 3 or 4 young garter snakes made me step back a bit. I don't mind snakes at all, well at least the kind we have here but for some reason they always make me jump back a bit when they take me by surprise.

I hear ya! I stepped on a huge black rat snake the other day. Neither of us enjoyed the experience, and both of us demonstrated impressive acceleration. :D

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Spikes

Equipment
L3450DT-W
Oct 15, 2012
N.W. Arkansas
When I was (much) younger I worked at a chicken plant. It was a regular thing during the winter to remove cat parts from the worker's cars - the cats liked to hang around for the chicken bits that were everywhere.
Not a fun job at all.

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
Thats a funny story about that snake and glad that noise wasnt your tractor. I love seeing black snakes in my shed due to the mice.

Ingi

Equipment
M108S
Aug 3, 2020
332 Hayes Road Delhi NY 13753
My father's favorite joke, from Copenhagen Denmark were he grew up. Two competing sausage makers competing for market share and one losing out. So they sent a spy to the other one. The spy wrote a report. 5 o'clock in the morning they start the machines, making sure not to turn on the lights, so they their sausage actually has some meat in it.